Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
4 years spent focusing on UK fishing industry worth less than £1bn a year, and then happy to "cut the legs off" an industry worth over 100 times more, with one shonky fag-packet immigration policy...

:D:D:D

As ever the funniest parts are the glaring inconsistencies that get thrown up when people are having to use fallacies to hide bigotry and racism.

The thing is they have made such a huge issue about the fish that I dont think they can go back now and do any deal on the fish and not lose votes. Party before country every time and if that means our tiny fishing indutry is protected while we stitch up the music,film and financial services industry then that is a price worth paying.

We do have blue passports. What more do you want?

Soldato
The music, events and similar industries based on being able to rapidly travel round numerous countries in the EU often with equipment & staff voiced similar concerns. Just think of a large group doing a stadium tour with numerous dates day after day etc.

The UK fishing rights are mostly foreign owned and 75% of the catch is currently sold into the EU with a lot of the catch having no substantial UK market. Farage as the UK's EU fishing representative turned up once in the last 45 times he was supposed to be there.

Immigration currently provides a net £13.5bn a year to the UK if you remove welfare from the tax take of immigrants. That's before you get into as construction and other sectors are finding where the work simply does not take place as the workers cannot be hired. The care sector is already having a lot of problems. This is where the benefits of immigration are being removed with nothing to replace them. In the same way as the tax gain was not in part used to assist with immigration e.g. housing, assisting local councils spending due to increased immigration etc.

Caporegime
Overall though, it’s not going to be as different as many people expect. What % of immigrants are Romanian big issue sellers, for example?

Also, if it’s harder for low skilled people but easier for high skilled people to come here won’t the long term effect be that we have a load more low-skilled Brits?

Not necessarily - having immigrants arrive here doesn't inhibit others from gaining skills.

Soldato
Soldato
As I understand it, GDPR is enshrined in UK law, so the Government will have to repeal that legislation before Google et al can benefit from a non-GDPR compliant UK.

Now maybe that’s the Government’s plan as part of ‘getting rid of EU red tape’, but until it comes before Parliament it’s not worth getting too worked up over.

Soldato
As I understand it, GDPR is enshrined in UK law, so the Government will have to repeal that legislation before Google et al can benefit from a non-GDPR compliant UK.

Now maybe that’s the Government’s plan as part of ‘getting rid of EU red tape’, but until it comes before Parliament it’s not worth getting too worked up over.
I'm not sure it's as straight forward as that.

GDPR applies to the processing of data within the EU or the processing worldwide of data of EU citizens.

I'm not certain that rules as they stand protect UK citizens whose data is held in the US.

US data protection laws are miminal for non-US citizens.

And that's all without having to have the discussion about who you'd rather have defending your data rights - the EU, or Johnson (who as we all know, is currently desperate for a trade deal with Trump).

Soldato
I'm not sure it's as straight forward as that.

GDPR applies to the processing of data within the EU or the processing worldwide of data of EU citizens.

I'm not certain that rules as they stand protect UK citizens whose data is held in the US.

US data protection laws are miminal for non-US citizens.

Ah, fair point. I hadn’t considered that.

And that's all without having to have the discussion about who you'd rather have defending your data rights - the EU, or Johnson (who as we all know, is currently desperate for a trade deal with Trump).

Well there’s no question with that one! ;)

Soldato
Project fear, got nothing to hide, gdpr is a load of red tape anyway, Trump love us... etc etc

Soldato
The music, events and similar industries based on being able to rapidly travel round numerous countries in the EU often with equipment & staff voiced similar concerns. Just think of a large group doing a stadium tour with numerous dates day after day etc.

There was some campaigning on this point before the referendum. Even though I had no personal plans for a European tour, I recall signing up to something protesting about the impact that voting to leave the EU would likely have on musicians etc.

Caporegime
Seems commonplace wrangling regarding the budgets. UK money is a pittance in the grand scheme of things, they dont really need us.
Well it’s gonna be a tough fix. Many are refusing to pay more, and most of the beneficiaries are refusing to take less. It’s gonna be interesting. They’re already talking of shelving many of their new projects and taking money from the agricultural budget.

Associate
Money was always going to be taken from the Agricultural budget. CAP has been out of control for years and the last 2 rounds of CAP has been about reducing the budget. in the last round they moved that every one got the same rate. so if at the start of the last round getting £500 a hectare by the end of it you will be getting £250. if you started off getting £150 you will go up to £250. most farmers will end up getting less so reducing the over all budget, they also been reducing the CAP research budget, about the only CAP budget that got a slight increase in the last round was for environment stuff

Caporegime
Well it’s gonna be a tough fix. Many are refusing to pay more, and most of the beneficiaries are refusing to take less. It’s gonna be interesting. They’re already talking of shelving many of their new projects and taking money from the agricultural budget.

Yeah, but they were talking about all of this already. Brexit is making a difference to the EU budget, of course, that makes all of this a little more difficult but we shouldn't imagine that there wasn't going to be a bun fight over the budget anyway. There always is, it's part and parcel of the EU being a club of sovereign democratic nations.

Soldato
Sounds like what happens everywhere, all the time, when a party pulls out of any joint venture.

Anyway, you must be hallucinating, because what's actually happening is that no member states are complaining at all and instead unelected EU bureaucrats are simply laying down the law.

After all that's what you insisted you believed to be the case all the time till now.

So full of ****.

Caporegime
Sounds like what happens everywhere, all the time, when a party pulls out of any joint venture.

Anyway, you must be hallucinating, because what's actually happening is that no member states are complaining at all and instead unelected EU bureaucrats are simply laying down the law.

After all that's what you insisted you believed to be the case all the time till now.

So full of ****.
This is why I used to have you on ignore, you can’t discuss anything with a civil tongue.

Soldato
This is why I used to have you on ignore, you can’t discuss anything with a civil tongue.
Wrong again.

I can discuss most things perfectly civilly.

I just find hypocrisy fairly distasteful, especially when it's used to conceal worse character flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom