1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion - The new thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Feek, Sep 5, 2019.

1. garnett

Soldato

Yeah, followed fine, just can't see the link you're making to Brexit. Seems, even at the second attempt, neither can you. Anyway, little point in indulging this derailment further.

2. dowie

Caporegime

You started the derailment in the first place and yes it was pointless. You quoted a post of mine in reply to another poster and just did your usual pointless posturing while adding nothing to the discussion. Why didn’t you ask him what the relevance was to Brexit? Presumably because he’s not a brexiter? AFAIK discussing the EU, trade between European countries, Eurozone matters etc.. is probably a good idea to stick in this thread for obvious reasons, but regardless my post was a reply to a point raised by another poster so I’m not sure why you’re moaning at me about that... Try discussing the actual content of posts in future instead of jumping in with your petty replies/jibes as they add nothing.

3. Murphy

Mobster

Looks like the architect of Brexit is self-isolating with symptoms, poor fella, i hope he recovers...how old is he?

4. StriderX

Caporegime

He isn't that old, though I have a suspicion that he has some form of cancer or other medical issue (could be minor tbh), his wife was getting annoyed at him for putting off a surgery last year (which I assumed he had) when the election was coming up.

Guess we'll see if it's 'mild'.

5. malachi

Capodecina

He will be fine, hes not the average Joe at the bottom struggling, like many are.

He lives an well enough life the doctors will give him the best treatment, with or without underlying problems. He will survive. Same for Prince Charles.

6. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

Charles is now out of isolation so he will not die from it unless you can get it again.

7. garnett

Soldato

As @malachi says, I think, "mild" is shorthand for "comfortable in the knowledge I've access to care the plebs can only dream of."

8. RxR

Wise Guy

He was born Nov 25 1971. He's just a young un.

9. Murphy

Mobster

I must have had a hard life then as I'm around the same age and i sure don't feel young. :)

10. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

Brighthouse and Carluccio's collapse and with the economic conditions poor I do not see anyone rushing to acquire them. More like the first of many depending on how long this thing lasts.

11. Sankari

Capodecina

Another Brexit success story!

#anotherbrexitsuccessstory

12. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

TBF not really Brexit but the economic impact on the UK due to the virus will be greater now we have left. Brexit was always a lose/lose game.

13. RDM

Capodecina

I'm certainly not going to mourn Brighthouse, vultures that they are.

14. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Bright-house I can't say much about. Figured that if anything they might actually make a few extra because of the lockdown (as in "Oh now that I'm stuck in doors might as well get a new telly"). Carluccios though, pretty clearly not going to do well with the lockdown and is a tall stretch to pin on brexit.

15. Steampunk

Sgarrista

Carluccio's has had problems for years, IIRC they got sold and half of them closed down a few years back. Brexit took them down to the edge, and coronovirus finished them off. They were weak and any significant problem would have killed them (there were rumours after Christmas), and Covid-19 has basically gone far beyond that.

I think I've eaten at a Carluccio's a couple of time, and rather like a lot of places like Jamie's Italian, it seems to be fairly average and fairly expensive, so I'm not surprised it hasn't survived now, when it was hobbling along for the last few years.

As for Brighthouse... it's basically a pay-day loan operation via household goods, so I'm not unhappy to see it go. Helping people to buy stuff they can't afford at hugely inflated prices does not seem a ethical business model, especially as it targetted the poor with no other source of borrowing.

16. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

They are a service for the poorer. Many could not afford a washing machine, for example, but could afford the monthly payments. The high charges could and should have been lessened by Govt action but like Wonga charges they did nothing for years and was only pressure that forced them to do anything. There were such things in my father's time, although they tended to be door to door lenders. They then disappeared as people got wealthier. Like TB they have make a comeback due to economic policies pursued.

17. malachi

Capodecina

That is very true but 99.9% of customers were playing "Keeping Up with the Joneses" or the poor acting rich.

I popped in there a few times to buy some retro consoles or games. Then they started to get greedy going by Ebay prices.

18. Rotty

Don

sorry for the staff but they were absolute scum, on the level of Wonga

19. Mr Badger

Soldato

Latest Tory government soundbite:

"No test is better than a bad test".

Perhaps they can get Theresa May to say it for old times sake...

20. garnett

Soldato

Well they've hired the same team for their spin output.

You can imagine the [Nathan Barley] scenes...

Yup. We can get any message across. As long as that message is "No X is better than a bad X. Hell, it worked so well on the cretins last time, it'll work again."

Taxpayer money going the ****wits' way this time round though.