1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Freakbro

Capodecina

Heh, what the saying actually means is you can't keep your cake once you've ate it, so you either have your cake or you eat it, you can't do both. It is a perfect metaphor for Brexit in the sense that the benefits of being in the club are the cake and A50 is the action of eating it.

2. malachi

Sgarrista

Yep, as I said before. Its going to be about survival of the fittest.

"The strong will survive and the weak shall perish" - Majin Vegeta :D

I'm getting myself prepared for worst case scenario and I am going to come out on top when Brexit messes everything up. All the others such as my friends who voted for Brexit with their thumbs up their backsides, struggling their shoulders, saying "we see what happens" Acting as if the UK Gov is going to care about them and their well being when Brexit makes them worse off than ever.

3. pmc25

Wise Guy

The state in the UK won't be able to afford to care, whether it wants to or not.

There'll need to be huge cuts all over the place, including to the supposedly sacrosanct NHS, if No Deal happens. Same, to a lesser extent, with a hard Brexit.

The gap, and more importantly, difference in living standards and quality of life between the poorest and everyone else is going to explode. Of course, except for the richest, standard of living and quality of life will decline for everybody, but for the poor or those beholden to the state, it's going to absolutely crash.

4. Mr Badger

Mobster

Electoral Commission got Brexit law wrong over Vote Leave, court rules

Still, will of the people and all that...

5. do_ron_ron

Soldato

6. dowie

Caporegime

well yes, "will of the people" indeed... bit of a drop in the ocean in comparison to the rather large boost the remain campaign got from the government spending millions on leaflets, even getting Obama to fly over

but sure the electoral commission has screwed up and the people who screwed up there perhaps do need to be held accountable

7. Rilot

Don

Same here. Money now in property in Poland. Marrying my partner so I can get Polish citizenship if needed. Son has his dual nationality sorted.
    It's been a lot of work but we're just protecting ourselves.

8. bayo000

Mobster

I see you still have problem distinguishing when the official campaigns started, that government wasn't part of either and forgetting decades of daily fail and co that brainwashed people.

Seriously what do you think had bigger effect? Leaflet that was sent days before official campaigns started or decades of fake news printed in certain "newspapers"?

9. dowie

Caporegime

I see you have a problem responding to what has actually been posted and have instead gone for the usual knee jerk response of seeing someone not anti-breixt in the thread and just making up your own narrative...

I was comparing the extra funding to the millions spent on the leaflets - the government pro remain leaflets rather eclipse any additional funding.

As for newspapers, they weren't all pro-remain - unless you want to be silly enough to try and claim that say Guardian readers were also heavily influenced by what the Daily Mail prints?

10. pmc25

Wise Guy

Not sure Poland is the best option, given what PIS are doing. Ultimately both they and Orban are going to reach a point where the other EU member nations and Commission start cutting off the money, and potentially suspend their access to the Single Market.

Orban would probably be toppled within months, if not weeks, just from the financial impact. Poland could survive, though it would be hugely damaging ... but Russia would inevitably try to fill the gap, and I think most Poles (even those voting for PIS at the moment) would roundly reject that, and the government would fall immediately.

IMO Tusk should go back to Poland ... he's an asset to the EU, but a much bigger one to Poland (and therefore the EU). The political, social and judicial landscape has deteriorated so much since he exited, directly as a result of the vacuum he left.

That said, I wouldn't look a Polish passport in the mouth. Just wish I could get one. Unfortunately, Polish relatives left before the cutoff period to be eligible for one :-<

If Tusk and his cohorts were still in power, I might have moved to Poland instead of Amsterdam.

11. Mr Joshua

Mobster

Bring it on, I hope this absolute cess pit of a society goes to hell in a hand basket and us along with it.

12. Moses

Caporegime

It is pretty scary, tbh. Thankfully my brothers and I have secure jobs, other close family will be fine come what may. No kids in schools which’ll face cuts. In terms of property either stuff is owned outright or was bought at a good time so any worst case scenario crash would ‘just’ wipe out paper profit. Etc.

I don’t think my family have too much to worry about, but it’s potentially grim for the poorest and most vulnerable as you say. Sure, we might end up worse off, but we won’t be shifted into poverty or lose homes etc.

13. pmc25

Wise Guy

Loads of 'well off' people will lose their homes, with No Deal Brexit. The housing market will crash, as will the £. People will be forced to declare bankruptcy due to negative equity, and rising interest rates due to likely rampant inflation and a cratering Sterling. The banks may very well go with them.

In most comment sections on articles, or forums I see, frothing Brexiteers are all screaming bring it on because it means they can buy cheaper houses and get more for their money. But given that the average Brexiteer is both poorer and older, and there'll be a huge squeeze on lending, they will be even less able to afford to buy than ever ... assuming they don't already have a mortgage, in which case they're screwed anyway.

Great opportunity for foreign slum lords and British billionaire non-doms to buy up huge swathes of property for virtually nothing, though. But I suppose a good portion of the 'frothing Brexiteers' are likely paid trolls, either foreign or domestic, serving the interests of the former, or hostile states.

14. Gigabit

Mobster

Trying to explain to my Dad that he should trust Mark Carney - a professional economist who probably saved Canada from the financial crisis - about Brexit was difficult as his response was "he's talking out of his arse, he doesn't understand markets, when I do".

Now I don't know better than Carney and I'm not an expert but I trust the opinion of an expert economist at the BoE.

15. ron3003

Wise Guy

You actually are a raving lunatic, thank god you're leaving although I pity the residents of Amsterdam.

16. Gigabit

Mobster

There's nothing mad about the post. You're living with your head in the sand.

17. Domo

Mobster

I second that. I think @pmc25 summed it up pretty well. Aristocracy is about to get a major reboot.

18. Nasher

Sgarrista

...And the sky will turn red and it will rain blood. Locusts will eat all the crops, plague will kill most of the population and the 4 horseman will ride across the sky.

Yea, I heard these predictions too. It's not looking good guys, not at all...

19. Freakbro

Capodecina

He does get a little excitable :D

20. pmc25

Wise Guy

What are you expecting to happen? It'll be far worse than the last financial crisis.

Fall in the housing market, and more importantly pound (interest rate rises - rather than drops) will be much more dramatic. That absolutely necessitates negative equity and foreclosure of loans and bankruptcy.

If you lived in or near any of the markets that were badly hit last time, you'd know. I was in the South West ... masses of places were repossessed in Bristol, and ended up on the market at 40% of the price they'd sold at 6-12 months earlier. A lot of people lost everything.

This time, it will be pretty universal, and this time, people are even more heavily indebted.