1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

You do realise that the fighting part of NATO is the Yanks and us?

2. matt100

Capodecina

*Ahem.... France.

3. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

people find it surprising when they see the list of who is in Nato, indeed the US and the UK are two of the largest

There are however some other players who regularly contribute to operations. Its not just boots on the ground.
    NL, canada, france are also involved in most operations. I am not so sure the lack of Albanian ground forces makes much diff in most operations ;)

List of member states, https://www.nato.int/cps/ra/natohq/nato_countries.htm

4. bayo000

Mobster

Funnily enough Albania deployed almost 3 thousands soldiers in Afghanistan :) More than some of the bigger countries. The list of NATO countries that contributed in some way is rather long.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participants_in_Operation_Enduring_Freedom

5. matt100

Capodecina

6. Uther

Sgarrista

7. Faustus

Mobster

Under which government? Corbyn, McDonnell and the other Bennites won't be proposing we rejoin, so perhaps a future Tory administration?

8. pmc25

Wise Guy

9. Faustus

Mobster

This frantic rhetoric is to be expected as it's looking increasingly likely a deal will be reached and will scrape through Parliament. It's the death throes of the barmy army.

10. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

11. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

I wonder if us common folk should start petitioning the queen to dissolve this government and take over for a while.

I think Charles the spider could probably do a better job.
    Maybe with some support from Mr Blobby to act as the official spokes person

12. FortuitousFluke

Wise Guy

Ah yes, and in 20 years people will say to their children, "Back when I was young there was a Country called Britain" "What is it called now Mummy?" "Why there was a coup by the Blobbites and they rechristened it Noeltania, the first stronghold of our global leader, the God Emperor Edmunds".

It's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next 6 weeks or so. You've got the wranglings of who is going to go which way when the vote comes around but if the polling continues to move towards a remain position then you've also got potential for inter-party wranglings with pro-remain factions in the Labour party gaining influence and the ERG and allies within the Tory ranks attempting to solidify their position in order to keep the engine of Brexit stoked with coal (an industry that is due a glorious revival post B-Day).

It must be like watching the fire of London first hand, terrifying yet fascinating at the same time, with a feeling that you're watching history unfold, whether that be good or ill.

13. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

Lets not forget there are plenty of remainers in the Tory ranks. Many have not stuck their heads above the parapet as its suits them not to. You only have the two extremes of the Tory party in the open right now.
    I would expect the more middle ground moderate Tories to become far more vocal with a deal thats too heavily leaning in either direction.

14. pmc25

Wise Guy

I've come to the view that leaving the EU would be the best thing for the UK, if we remain in the Customs Union, and very closely aligned to the Single Market.

Reason being that either a super hard or no deal Brexit looks almost a lock-in now. I'd take anything over a cliff edge, including leaving.

At least there's some path back if we're closely aligned, and very muted growth or a small recession is better than a huge crash that takes generations to recover from.

15. Nasher

Sgarrista

It's what they say now, except 40 years ago :p

16. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

My earliest memories are from just over 40 years ago

My parents were recently surprised when I mentioned one. I remember being in the car with them, driving round at a weekend (must have been a saturday, shops were closed on a sunday) trying to get some yeast!
    Why the urgent need for yeast you may question. Well the bakers were on strike so there was no bread, you needed to bake your own, and obviously everyone else also needed the ingredients.

I look forward to going back to those times. I refuse to drive the allegro though ;)

17. Faustus

Mobster

What do you mean going back to those times, I still bake our own bread - doesn't everyone?

18. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Incredibly humble brag or you actually think everyone bakes their own bread? :p

19. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Exactly

May was a remainer FFS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38653681

20. Faustus

Mobster

I believe in our social circle most of us bake our own bread. It's so incredibly tasty, a world removed from the white claggy sliced muck you buy in the shops. Both the wife and I make our own pastries too. :)