1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. dl8860

Wise Guy

52% of the population - IMO I have nothing to lose, so might as well lose
    48% of the population - I think we have a lot to lose, please can we not leave

Outcome, let's leave.

If 52% are voting on a basis of **** it we've got nothing to lose so let's just have a protest vote, and 48% actually take the decision seriously, then we have a pretty good demonstration of why referendums are an awful idea.

2. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

Careful, because it was 52%/48% of those that voted, NOT the population.
    Some say they didnt vote they dont count. but there is quite some % who were not allowed to vote based on age.
    They will be impacted but had no say.

3. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

same in America...

a. illegal immigrants steal jobs.

b. illegal immigrants dont work and cost the state.

PICK ONE.

4. Stretch

Capodecina

Why pick one when you can blame all immigrants.

5. do_ron_ron

Soldato

They will lose, big time, if it really goes ****-up. The people like Rees-Mogg amd Boris will not feel the pinch but the majority of the people you mention will. If there is a lot of unemployment and especially if the Tories are in power the welfare will be smaller. There will be less money for services like the NHS. Boris et al will not be bothered but curtailing services provided will hit the group you mentioned hardest. Far from 'nothing to lose' they have a lot to lose. An American model(so beloved of the Tories) sees 30% relying on charity hospitals.

6. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

As long as the poor and uneducated continue to blame the poor and uneducated rule Britannia.

7. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

I appreciate that there is a lot of brexit stupidity in this thread so at times sarcasm looks like a genuine opinion.

There will with out any doubt be a bit of trouble if brexit just gets canned. There are already bits of trouble because they think it is going to get canned. So it stands to reason.

Do I think the "unrest" will be enough to be too much for our already dwindling police force. Probably not. But I can almost guarantee if there is any trouble the right wing press and the right wingers will say "if only Khan hadnt sold those tanks, this would never have happened".

Thats the line I was going down. Will there be trouble? Yes. Will the anti fascists outweigh the fascists if they try? More than likely. Will it be full scale riots? Hell no.

8. do_ron_ron

Soldato

The biggest con was the Tories and their rags blaming others for their mistakes(although not limited to them) and especially the ERG group wanting a political system that goes even further than the system they are blaming for causing the harm.

9. Mr Badger

Soldato

Are you not familiar with Schrodinger's immigrant? Simultaneously hangs around on street corners all day living on state benefits, whilst also working long hours on the cheap and stealing your job?

Apparently they may be at it with housing too - causing a shortage whilst simultaneously living 10 to a room...

10. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Are they at all related to Schroedingers yoof? Simultaneously a knife wielding, drunken, thug and a safespace craving, effeminate, wimp?

11. Steampunk

Soldato

Saw someone on a politics show a while back saying that referendums are always a bad idea because they are an opportunity for the electorate to kick the government. The fact that we've followed through shows the naivete of Cameron, and the personal political agendas of those following through on what they know is bad for the country, but will enable them to gain more power or make more money.

12. matt100

Capodecina

Isn't it a worry that the suggestion there is 52% of those who voted consider they have nothing to lose?

It's also easily disproved.. at least in my world. I know people who voted for brexit not because they have nothing to lose.. quite the opposite, they thought they'd GAIN something from it.. whether that ws a better NHS (like people were told over and over and over again by some of the snakes that now claim a-la Trump that that wasn't the point, you'll get that in 50 years), less immigrants, milk, honey the lot.

This is the point where we go round the cycle again of another brexiteer saying "but but they knew it was XYZ.. will of the people" etc.. rght?

What is it? Nothing to lose, everything to gain, sovereignty, ignorance, patriotism.. or as we've all said numerous times a toxic mix of all of them which absolutely cannot and will not be boiled down into it being able to be stated with confidence "THIS is was 17m voted for"... that's one part of this I find especially irritating..

It's all great to say people voted against the power bubble patronising them.. what's more patronising than a brexiteer politician of which you can find plenty saying with conviction that 17m voted for a specific thing and they know it and they're sure of it and it just so happens to chime exactly with what they think and had nothing to do with the fantastical claims of those on the leave side?

Again benefit of hindsight and all that but surely a good starting place on brexit rather than DO IT NOW.. DO IT BEFORE ANYONE DISAGREES OR CHANGES THEIR MIND! CAMERON SAID HE'D DO IT IMMEDIATELY AND WE ALL KNOW HE WAS 100% RIGHT ALL THE TIME!

Would have been some sort of brief enquiry into specifically what the 17m actually wanted so we could at least please them if nobody else? Not to undo brexit but a with a GE.. figure out and deliver what people wanted, like voting for a manifesto?

Common sense be damned.

Sorry.. yed a sense of humour failure.. I've had a few today already!

13. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

It's depressing :( Our concept of crime within society is fundamentally flawed.

If you or I commit fraud we would rightly end up in jail. If it's a public figure committing fraud with business or political intention no one seems to care.

Different standards depending who you are and where you come from. Is it any wonder our political system is so unprincipled.

14. SPG

Mobster

Your point is what ? A lose is lose degree of loss is irrelevant, unless of course your going to pick the winners from the losers. How ironic....

I hoped our political system would get a shakeup from all of this, if anything its getting worse. Just goes to show how utterly useless labour is, how utterly useless the unions backing labour are and utterly utterly disgusting the Tories are.

Not one party can hold its head high in all of this debacle not one. Its a shame ukip is dead as least they could agree on the issue that statement alone is just a sad reflection as well.

15. do_ron_ron

Soldato

They were a one trick pony and are finished. Trying to resurrect thenselves they have drifted to an anti-Islamic party amd will only get support from the far right headbangers(the racist element of that group)

There are few people in this country who could not lose more and backing a strategy that will deliver this is mind boggling.

16. Uther

Sgarrista

So, only a couple more days of debate left in the HoC before this goes to a vote, has anything changed?

17. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Yes. May is finally speaking to some of those on the left of politics about brexit without sneering.

18. dowie

Caporegime

Well while that is a nice gesture and she can perhaps give a bit of chat about how she'll safeguard workers rights etc.. absolutely nothing has changed re: her deal and isn't likely to any time soon judging by the EU's comments so far.

19. matt100

Capodecina

No they're not, they've just shown their true colour by turning back into headbanging brexit tories again along with a remaining core group of turbo not-even-going-to-try-and-deny-it racists.

20. matt100

Capodecina

That's her catchphrase right?