1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. dowie

Caporegime

Well not a Brexit one, but yeah. :D

I guess "time is running" out and (for the moment at least) "brexit means brexit".

I'm not quite clear on whether "no deal is better than a bad deal" is one they're still sticking with though.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

A bit melodramatic.

3. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

If the cap fits.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

If you interpret my criticism of Corbyn as trying to portray him as the villain or needing him to be the villain I can quite well see why you struggle so much with seeing him for the man he really is.

5. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

lol you just cant help yourself.

6. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Yeh..

Senior tory ministers now saying a50 will need as a minimum to be extended regardless of the way Tuesday's vote goes.. In the unlikely event it passes, the sheer amount of legislation parliament would need to pass is not possible in the time currently available.

The chances of brexit never happening seem to be increasing day by day.

7. StriderX

Capodecina

Extension is useless without a GE or 2ndREF, we leave regardless.

8. matt100

Capodecina

Nope... No we won't.

See how easy it is to just say things? Despite that being a default you can see that's never going to be allowed to happen.

9. StriderX

Capodecina

That's entirely up to the EU which we do not control, it would require that May stop's being a stubborn person to totally cancel A50, extensions wont be granted.

Any hint of further time-wasting will be met with disdain.

Also it's not just "saying things". They've LITERALLY said they wont grant it unless one of those two things are the function of the extension, i'm in the habit of believing the side that actually has the upper hand.

10. mattyfez

Sgarrista

I think they are saying extension rather than retraction at the moment to help the medication go down.. They are well aware a an extension would only be agreed for a ref or a GE. Retraction is still a bit of a risky word to be saying in the UK.

11. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Honestly, cant be bothered to help you out with that one, it would take too long

Well sorry to say this but your hope was that of someone not really up with politics, or the state of the UK. People who were would have known this already.

Nice, end with a little comedy. UKIP were a joke, a protest party for the uninformed, the BNP headbangers, the racists, the deplorables, the illeducated, oh and I guess a few good people too. (kind of plagiarized from D Trump)

12. Faustus

Soldato

The point is though UKIP had the Tories rattled by eating into their core vote. But for this Cameron would never have been bounced into calling a referendum and we wouldn't be in the mess we now find ourselves in. So yes UKIP were a joke, but a very bad one.

13. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

If the vote against May's deal is big, how can she stay in office as prime minister?

I would prefer she calls a general election and then resigns. Article 50 would be extended I suspect in that event.

14. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

In normal circumstances if the defeat was as big as is being expected there's no way a PM would survive, these however are very strange times.

15. VoG

Soldato

Very, very, strange times indeed, I suspect the only way May will leave No 10 is if she's dragged out kicking & screaming, as clearly she has no sense of shame what so ever over the colossal cluster #### she's made of Brexit.

16. Rroff

Man of Honour

Funny how you take criticism of Corbyn so personally - seem to love him as only a mother would. Fortunately most people are seeing through him now.

17. The_Abyss

Capodecina

If the sway really is towards remain, then you would expect the Lib Dems, as the only party advocating (very quietly) cancelling Brexit, to do very well, even win. However, such is the sad state of our two both as crap as each other party political system, I imagine the Lib Dems would not even be able to put forward sufficient candidates to win a majority.

The Brexit debate has revealed just how poor the governance of our nation has been for the past four decades. Parties of all colours and sides are responsible. I absolutely dread leaving the EU and giving our broken electoral system and parliament an ounce more control than they have today.

18. The Funktopus

Mobster

That’s what I’m struggling with. She’s clearly lost all authority, both over Parliament and her own party. Nobody’s listening to her, and only her own hubris and pig-headed stubbornness are keeping her in office.

19. Dolph

Man of Honour

Do you think anyone would have been able to deliver the unicorn brexit both parties promised?

I'm not saying may is good, far from it, but the idea that the deal is a result of the negotiation, rather than the determination to not accept the rules of the single market etc in full (which applies to the brexit manifesto commitments and post brexit desires) is to fail to understand what is actually happening, and what was always going to happen. The only thing the eu27 truly agree on is that the rules must be maintained in full.

20. JeditOjanen

Mobster

There has never been a defeat as big as this one is expected to be. The record is around 160, inflicted on Labour in 1924; May is estimated to lose by over 200. But short of a GE, there's no way to get her out until her protection from leadership challenge expires.

The only possible exception has ironically been gifted to us by Sinn Fein. MPs are not allowed to resign; they must instead apply for a paid Crown office, typically Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds, which makes them ineligible to be an MP. When Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness sent resignation letters they were treated as applications to paid Crown offices and were appointed as such. They refused the offices because SF aren't allowed to accept them, but were still treated as having resigned. So, to get May out it may be possible to pass a motion appointing her to the Hundreds and thus remove her as an MP and from the Commons.