1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'SC Archive' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Wise Guy

I'm not sure I'd say it blew my mind as i have an opinion on why it was called and looking at the reason it's logical. It wasn't IMO about what was best for the country and when you look at it in that light it makes perfect sense.

EDIT: I'd pretty much echo what VincentHanna said, it seems we have the same opinion. :)

2. Freakbro

Capodecina

I didn't have a counter point to the post I quoted since I agree with it :p

3. Nitefly

Man of Honour

If there was a second referendum and the outcomes were clearly set out then ‘dealing with’ the outcome is clearly the appropriate thing to do, whether that be leave or remain.

A second referendum is inevitable. MPs won’t allow no deal without it and won’t allow remain without it. No negotiated deal will satisfy everyone / the EU.

It’s just a horrible social and political situation.

It’s hard not to be cross about it when there is not any sensible fact based economic argument to support leaving the EU other than “I don’t like it.... just because”.

4. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Yes, that was definitely a factor as well.

Annoyingly, most tory governments bin off their manifesto promises when they get in to power, so it's a shame he went ahead with it.

5. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Ah - but this one was a promise to his party, not the electorate (who, mostly, didn't give a **** about it before the referendum campaigning began). Can't break that sort of promise without losing power.

6. montymint

Mobster

Oh i know - it's just a general statement :p. Every time I hear Trump spout those words I feel my blood pressure rise lol

7. MadMossy

Soldato

Much like how remain voters call brexiters uneducated thickos, nationalist far right extremists that only want to see the uk burn and become a post apocalyptic nightmare.

8. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I've never called a leave voter a far right extremist. My Dad voted leave for god sake.

He's not an uneducated thicko either, but with this specific issue he isn't dealing in facts and data.

9. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Not that much like it. 'Facts' was the key to the point.

10. doodah

Capodecina

Well put in that last part, pick a topic and throw all rationale out as feelings may have a tendency to override facts. My grandmother strongly hinted she would vote remain and then turn-coated at the last moment :mad:. "I won't be around anyway.......", thanks grandma :p:mad:!

11. Bonjour

Sgarrista

It's always been about the self-preservation of the Tories; an attempt to secure a dozen or so seats that were at risk of being lost to UKIP.

12. platypus

Caporegime

It's nothing like it, at all.

At 2 years after A50, 3 years after the referendum, and countless pointless posts here, we're still yet to see facts from Brexiteers about how much better life will be out of the EU.

13. MadMossy

Soldato

Hard to provide "facts" on something that has never been done before. It's like asking for facts about time travel, sure we could all guess at the prospects but there's zero data to actually back it up.

14. SarGara

Hitman

How can anyone provide facts for something that hasn't happened yet (we haven't left remember?).

15. efish

Wise Guy

Indeed.

Two sides. Give or take we have a pretty even split.

The answer at the moment from both sides is to brute force their position on the rest of the population.

Its not working.

Whats the solution?

16. VincentHanna

Capodecina

"It might be better even though the official government analysis says it won't be" isn't really a good reason to leave

17. chroniclard

Capodecina

There are plenty of facts, opinion and predictions, people just choose to dismiss them.

18. cheesyboy

Capodecina

It's a fact that if I put my hand on an active ham slicing machine that it will hurt. I've never done it, so how do I know?

19. doodah

Capodecina

Man made global warming has never fully happened but we sure have a lot of facts and models for it. We don't know a lot about gravity including exactly what causes it but hey presto - lots of facts.

20. MadMossy

Soldato

You know it would hurt because numerous other senses and common sense let you know that.

Brexit is the hand without the rest of the body to tell it anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.