1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I should have been pedantic and said "also", though other people seems to have understood what I was saying.

If a guy said he wanted to end free movement and make trade deals with other countries, and he voted remain. Then I'd say it would have been a failure on the leave people to explain the leave position.

I think the time to argue about leave or remain as gone. Now we're at the point of trying to sort out this mess.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

Given we are only now having the debates in parliament that should have happened 2-3 years ago and May's deal pretty much mirrors Tory austerity measures (possibly a good idea in the short term but choke the country in the long) which IMO are half the reason people even voted for leave I'm not sure how this mess is sorted out.

3. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

You seem to talk to a lot of leave people and most seem to be, as you say, erupting from 0-100mph. Are you sure there isn't someting in the water there?

The anger for some people will turn on the remain people, because they see them as being part of the remain mp's. This is why a second referendum will cause unrest if it goes to remain. We need a general election in my opinion. OR the nuclear option and revoke A50. That way it will put the blame back on to the government.

4. simpletom

Wise Guy

10 print "Strong and stable, brexit means brexit, will of the people"
    20 goto 10
    Run

5. StriderX

Capodecina

Unrest is fine, bring orn the vote. A few of them will spark up, the rest will realise they don’t want their head caved in by the police and that’ll be the end of it.

Country has been far too cosy for too long, if people want democracy they better fight for it.

6. Rroff

Man of Honour

To be honest I'm finding a lot of that on social media and at work if I try and bring any degree of reason into the topic most of the pro-leave quickly become angry and abusive.

7. Slam62

Soldato

you're asking that the police violently defend democracy while suggesting people should fight for it, this doesn't make sense, shouldn't the police uphold democracy.

8. String

Capodecina

I overheard a similar conversation at work yesterday. Around a dozen people in the recreation lounge, discussing the vote. They thought the vote yesterday was whether to do Brexit or not. I didn't bother getting involved, it's completely pointless.

It irks me when those who voted leave get upset when you suggest that a lot of people didn't actually understand what they were voting for in the referendum. It's an absolute, undisputable fact. :(

9. Slam62

Soldato

what would change should there be another vote? are you suggesting we 'educate' people?

10. TheOracle

Capodecina

Nobody knew because nothing had been agreed

11. StriderX

Capodecina

Only people who want it should defend it.

Whether your on the right side of the argument or not is irrelevant. If they don’t want to defend it because they’re cowards, we can move on.

From this day forth, half the country will hate you regardless.

12. chroniclard

Capodecina

If after all this time the same myths, alt-facts and feels are still so prevalent, its not possible to educate people.

13. Slam62

Soldato

so are you suggesting no second vote?

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

As per another thing I saw on Facebook recently - "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still".

15. String

Capodecina

Where did I suggest that? I wish people wouldn't make stuff up like that.

I am not in favour of a second vote, I think A50 should be revoked and never discussed again.

16. Slam62

Soldato

I don't understand, can you clarify please, do you mean want democracy or want change or want something else?

17. Slam62

Soldato

who should decide this, the queen? Or just you?

18. StriderX

Capodecina

They should defend whatever they want to, I’m only in this for the end of a paralytic status quo that has destroyed this country socially and politically for decades.

I’ve achieved that, so I don’t care what everyone else wants to do.

I feel if the remain side want to defend the status quo they better ******* fight for it this time, rather than apathetically sit in the corner about everything.

Same goes for everyone else.

19. Slam62

Soldato

ok fair enough, thanks

20. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Huh? I thought they were always going to give us a great deal, we just needed to run down the clock before they all came running driving BMWs to our doorstep to see what we would accept to carry on buying their cars