1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. McstylisT

Wise Guy

that is funny. Have to admit that.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

If it wasn't for the number of innocent people who potentially could suffer harshly under no deal I'd say to **** with it and bring on the no deal because personally I will be OK either way :|

3. humbug

Caporegime

I'm sure these people exist, i don't know by what measure they come to such conclusion but the human race sure is diverse.

4. Evangelion

Capodecina

I have no words for what's happening. I'm convinced that British politics has entered a parallel dimension, and we're viewing it from our universe via some kind of wormhole.

5. Cern

Mobster

Since you couldn't be bothered to link to your source, here's a recent (March) YouGov poll which asked about support for No Deal:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...-britons-want-mps-vote-against-no-deal-brexit

Among the 'General population' it was only 33% in favour of No Deal. That's still fairly high, given the risks. However, in a separate poll, only 20% said they believed that No Deal would be a good outcome for the UK.

But May's deal is no more popular, a different poll conducted just before MV3 shows only 33% in favour of accepting her deal.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...ngful-vote-3-britons-are-still-split-whether-

The public are as gridlocked in this as the politicians.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

Which is why preference matters, we can’t keep lurching from disasters on fptp.

7. humbug

Caporegime

That may not be the pool i'm referring too, it was a few weeks ago now and there are many pools conducted these days constantly, and to expend on my distrust they invariably contradict eachother.

My point is i believe most leavers want a clean, or put more clearly a full Brexit, that is what most understood when the ballot paper said "leave or remain" so if you ask them "well what sort of Brexit do you actually want" that is what you will get back, its why this question will never be asked again, even in a second referendum a proper Brexit will not be on the ballot paper giving leavers nothing to vote for, and they know it, another reason for their feeling of utter betrayal.

8. Bonjour

Sgarrista

"What Britain looks like after Brexit" by Daniel Hannan, 21st June 2016

Judging by the 4th paragraph, I'm not sure the rest of his predictions hold much water..

"The last thing most EU leaders wanted, once the shock had worn off, was a protracted argument with the United Kingdom which, on the day it left, became their single biggest market. Terms were agreed easily enough. Britain withdrew from the EU’s political structures and institutions, but kept its tariff-free arrangements in place. The rights of EU nationals living in the UK were confirmed, and various reciprocal deals on healthcare and the like remained. For the sake of administrative convenience, Brexit took effect formally on 1 July 2019, to coincide with the mandates of a new European Parliament and Commission."

9. String

Capodecina

As I said previously, if that vote got passed with a majority of 1 then there would be absolutely no way of challenging that, it would be absolute. However, with massive majority defeats she just keeps on keeping on. It's utterly scandalous.

You're just trolling now, she's the biggest political embarrassment in more than a generation.

10. Cern

Mobster

Yes I know that's probably not the poll you were referring to, but it's a recent and reputable source. You're just going on feels and not bothering to back it up with sources. You have no evidence that "most Leavers" want a "clean" (aka No Deal) Brexit. Even if you find your poll, 40% is not "most".

But hey, why not get the word "betrayal" in there, just for a bit more feels.

11. humbug

Caporegime

Yes, i don't disagree with that.

12. RizlaKing

Wise Guy

Well I've spent the last 3 years having remain supporters telling me i didn't know what i was voting for and bringing up some ridiculous red bus and some slogan on the side of it. To be honest i am fed up of the whole damn thing and very tired of our country looking like a joke internationally because of all the shenanigans going on. In other forums i see on a daily basis remain supporters mocking leave voters and it gets old very quick and watching our gutless and self serving farce of politicians using all this for party political games is just sickening. I can't comment on the referendum campaign's by either side as i never watched any of it my mind was made up long before coward cameron started all this.

The vote was to leave and nobody i i know in person or on the net that voted leave did so for the UK to remainr in any part of the EU system complete withdrawal of the UK from the EU was the option that 17.4 million people voted for and the vast majority of those voter's knew exactly what they were voting for and it's time to deliver on that.

13. StriderX

Capodecina

She’s even worse than Cromwell at this point. At least he was able to command.

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

Yet as pointed out above there isn't even consensus amongst leave voters for no deal and many that have been surveyed who are for no deal don't seem to know what no deal actually is.

15. humbug

Caporegime

The question was not a complicated one, the question was not half in half out, given also that the official stance from the government was leave was leaving the EU in its entirety, this was said over and over again by Mr Cameron.

16. inogen

Mobster

That question should never have been asked. And to be honest, the people who should feel most betrayed are those that didn’t want the referendum in the first place, didn’t vote for it, watched it be organised badly, watched it fail to be executed cleanly and legally and were then further sold down the river with all of this will of the people **** by the Tories who started it all.

17. Cern

Mobster

Well, I'll grant you that in that YouGov poll I linked, 65% of the Leave voters polled favoured No Deal. However, this is at the end of the A50 process, in the run-up to MV3 when the failure of the government to produce a favourable and viable deal has polarised opinion. You will be very hard pushed to find a poll from the referendum campaign in 2016 with No Deal registering more than a blip of support. Back then everyone was banging on about amazing deals and all the various options, including Norway++ etc.

18. humbug

Caporegime

It probably need to be asked and it was the right time for it because the EU is forming its self into a single country and the possibility that we would get swallowed up in it was and remains real.

19. humbug

Caporegime

I suspect there will be a second referendum, put it on the ballot paper, again, lets see what these people really want.

20. StriderX

Capodecina

Except it wasn’t and requires states to cede that, of which Germany was heavily against. We were part of that scepticism with them, Austria, Netherlands and so forth.

Francophone sphere is the only proponent of federalism, which frankly I’d support if it wasn’t so obviously to their benefit.