1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'SC Archive' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martini1991

Caporegime

Redcar has tiny levels of immigrants and yet we're a leave town.

2. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

And what if remain won from a landslide? Don't forget leave won by a small margin against a low turn out of votes

3. Sankari

Caporegime

The only Project Fear was the one run by Brexiteers, and it looked like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Filthy foreigners will overrun our great country unless we leave the EU!'

:rolleyes:

4. And

Hitman

I find the SNP's stance on the Customs Union vote confusing as they all abstained, considering how vociferous Sturgeon has been about (an independent) Scotland wanting to be part of the EU.

As an aside I live in a 'leave' constituency and my MP (David Hanson) voted Y,Y,Y,Ab last night.

5. GordyR

Soldato

No, we just need a single fully legally conducted referendum (unlike last time), without proven electoral overspending (unlike last time), with very clearly defined and precise options (unlike last time).

6. Murphy

Mobster

Actually I'd say, given current circumstances, that only an idiot wouldn't want to vote again.

If i was in leave supporters shoes I'd want to prove all the doubting Thomas' wrong, I'd want to unite the country behind a single vision and put to bed all the claims that we didn't know what we voted for, I'd want to show that despite all the remainers claims support for leaving the EU hasn't waned, that in fact it's only grown.
    No, because if remain wins then obviously people have changed their minds, but as leave supports are so confident that's not going to happen it's irrelevant.

No, if leave wins then the entire country will know the majority support a particular version of leaving the EU, be that not signing a WA, signing it then negotiating a CU/SM.

Sure we could apply for EU membership again in 10 years but as humbug puts it only an idiot would do that, we'd have thrown away 40+ years of hard fought for concessions, things like not being part of schengen, not join the single currency, opting-out of certain parts of the CFR.

And i know sound bites appeal to leave supporters but i hate to tell you but "Project Fear" isn't a thing anymore it's project reality, or have you been living under a rock for the last 2 and a bit years.

EDIT: Honestly the more leave supporters object to another vote the more you're demonstrating that some of the key points of your campaign were little more than cover for perhaps some rather more unsavory views, it was never about taking back control it was about taking control away from people, it was never about sovereignty it was about authoritarianism, it was never about believing in Britian it was about trying to divide and conquer.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  7. Sankari

Caporegime

If Leave is the will of the people, why would you be unwilling to vote again? Surely your side will win, right? So why be afraid of a second vote?

8. Vern1961

Mobster

Judging by the Tory party mouthpiece on the BBC News just now, looks as if nothing more imaginative will emerge from the Cabinet meeting than MV4, presumably with an increased level of bullying/coercing/bribing to get MP's to tow Maybot's line.

However I stand by what I said last night in the thread, Government should have the guts to admit it was all an ill conceived terrible idea that has been revealed as impossible to execute and revoke A50, at the least to give proper breathing space as to what happens next. I was pondering how on earth Cameron and his advisors didn't see the NI issue as an effective block to any form of departure from the EU, then realised the arrogant fool didn't think he would lose.

At the risk of parroting an earlier comment, it's a sad state of affairs when the SNP are the voice of reason in this - I mean where are the LibDems, thought they were still pro-remain?

Still got a nasty feeling this is not going to end well, with the most likely outcome being we are forced out on 12th April with No Deal, simply because Europe will be fed up to the back teeth (justifiably so) at UK political incompetence.

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

Ideally with qualification questions to show that your opinion is actually informed about your chosen option.

10. cheesyboy

Capodecina

I've not read the thread for 14 hours or do, so apologies if it's been brought up, but thus was interesting :

We can see where the problem is with the whole thing. For the Tories, this is all just an internal party game. They're not voting to support anything, because it'll risk splitting the party.

11. GordyR

Soldato

One can only dream...

12. grudas

Capodecina

that's the problem, these people are there to work for the country, what's best for us.

what they do is work for the party, power grab and themselves. UK is such a mess right now, I genuinely can't believe it.

13. Kenai

Capodecina

This is nothing new or special though, this is simply how our parliamentary system works.

It relies on having the most people in the room on your team and telling them what to do. The more people you have, the more chance you have of doing what you want even if a few people rebel.

It isn't unique to the Tory party, it's just become noticeable, in part due to the minority government and in part due to the fact people are actually vaguely interested in what's going on for once.

If the Government had a decent majority, they would have been able to force through May's deal by now.

14. loftie

Hitman

Curious as to why you only listed white british? (no this isn't me jumping up and down shouting racist in case anyone thinks that)

Well the curry houses were encouraged to vote leave.
    I know of asians who voted leave in the hope that it'd make it easier for them to get members of their family over. Amusingly, I'm of Italian descent but would rather like my family to stay in Italy, even though I voted remain.

15. Harlequin

Mobster

So TM wants a compromise then literally orders her sheep to vote against any compromise.

I genuinely hope for a GE, where the 2 main parties are wiped out for a generation.

16. matt100

Capodecina

You are aware there are other things than white British which are still British and not immigrants right?

17. rIcK

Wise Guy

I hate this. No one is or will be suggesting more referendum. I believe a fair way would be 2 ballot papers. One with leave or remain and a second with the terms of any potential deal.

If leave wins again so be it, you now how a even more clear and up to date view. PLUS a direction of the sort of Brexit to implement.

I'm unhappy with our current situation and stalemate. I accepted the view 3 years ago however it was based on lies and fear and we are now in a crazy situation where it's quite likely public view has changed and our MPS are stuck in complete stalemate.

I never understand this notion of a third or multiple preceding votes. It isn't the way anyone wishes it to work. Imagine this nonsense going on even longer?

18. grudas

Capodecina

all she wants is her deal to be passed.

so she can claim that she delivered brexit, the impossible task.

19. The Funktopus

Mobster

This farce we see now is a direct result of the Tory’s refusing to accept that their party has been irrevocably split by the referendum result, and whatever happens, members will breakaway from the party over Brexit, the divergence in stance within the party is just too great to be overcome.

So, the Tory Party and May will, like the cowards that they are, avoid confronting that bitter truth at all costs, and drag this out until the bitter end, and to hell with the consequences for the country.

Both main parties deserve the deepest, darkest pyres of Hell for what this will do and has already done to the country. They’re both a cancer.

20. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Technically she could deliver Brexit just by having Facilities Management bolt the doors to the commons for a week and a half. Then she can announce her resignation and BOOM! everything that follows is Boris' fault. Not that I condone this of course, but in this circumstance inaction is an option.

She's trying to walk the tight rope between party and Country, unfortunately it's become more and more clear on which side her priorities lie. No compromise either towards a harder Brexit, a softer Brexit, or remain if it means splintering the Tory party.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.