1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. ltron

Wise Guy

Unicorns don't exist and neither do the wonderful things that the Brexiteers promised us would happen should we leave because they are not grounded in reality, e.g. retaining all the benefits of the single market while not being in it, not paying anything towards it and ending freedom of movement.

This is a contradiction because if you leave the club and retain all the benefits without having to pay any money or follow the rules then what's the point of the club? If the EU granted us this they would be signing their own death warrant as there would be no reason for them to exist, hence it's a unicorn: a fantasy.

2. mattyfez

Sgarrista

I've *spelled it out, as have many others throughout this thread derailment.
    You're just being willfully ignorant, now.

*That's another pesky metaphor. I've not literally told you how to spell words... But I'm sure you **catch the drift.

**catch the drift is also a metaphor..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  3. matt100

Capodecina

I was at least expecting rainbow cake?

4. humbug

Caporegime

I'm not going to repeat myself over and over again....

You cannot back up a single thing you are saying, so instead deflect by arguing the definition of the trope you used instead of answering why you used it.

5. mattyfez

Sgarrista

You'll have to make do with a Victoria sponge. :D

6. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Yet you do keep repeating yourself.

Also; cite one thing i haven't backed up.

7. Mr Badger

Soldato

Is there some sort of tag system in operation where pro Brexit trolls take it in turns to clog up this thread with nonsense?

8. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Billy or humbug will try to ask what we are talking about any second now.

9. mattyfez

Sgarrista

I thought speakers corner was moderated, I got told off for calling them liars, which they are.

10. RedvGreen

Mobster

Brexit obviously means something different to everyone, but the largest united side is those that believe, through expert (trained and experienced) analysis, that it is an inherently backwards step culturally, fiscally and reputationally - not even counting health, food, commodities/luxuries etc.

By many admissions of the more honest Brexit voters, Brexit meant more money for NHS, easiest trade deals, no downsides, only positives. Now the tables have turned and reality has set in, many Brexit voters regret their vote (fair play to their honesty), whilst others have now moved the goalposts away from those wishful missold dreams, and now simply want to exit at all costs. They cannot tell you what it will bring, only that it will apparently give us 'sovereignty' back. The only defense against Remainers now is 'YOU DON'T KNOW IT WILL BE BAD!!', which is true, as it hasn't yet happened, but the entire ethos of the Remain thinking style is based on countless reviews, analyses and expert lead evidence that point to Brexit = destructive to the UK and the EU. One thing more destructive would be mutually assured destruction. All this, in the name of Dark Ads and people unable to accept that they were manipulated by Russian and Right-wing propaganda over a period of years as they're 'too clever to be fooled'. The ease of getting an enraged answer simply highlights the lack of clarity on their part.

11. mattyfez

Sgarrista

My sentiment pretty much exactly. Good post.

12. Murphy

Wise Guy

Exactly, tell me again why you believe that you can't predict the future?

Have you been living under a rock for the last 2 and a bit years? How about you tell us how the 180 examples of job losses, lost investment, and companies moving assets out of the UK are not crashes and cliffs for those involved, tell us how at least £60+ billion of QE, a devaluation of 10% in sterling, and rising cost are not negatives.

And BTW my use of a train was an analogy to demonstrate to you that we can indeed make fairly accurate forecasts and predictions of future events, that we use information to do it everyday of our lives and that you, I, anyone can and indeed have made predictions on what's likely to happen in all circumstances involving leaving the EU.

13. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

The train analogy is a good one.

The UK before the EU Ref was Great Western Railways :some issues, but mainly okay.

The UK is currently Greater Anglia: some bits are still working, but some are FUBAR.

The smart money says that the UK would be full Southwest Trains after a No Deal Brexit.

14. Murphy

Wise Guy

So where do you think i omitted words that would have helped to clarify the meaning of another word? Because so far the conversation has gone like this..
    Now correct me if I'm wrong but at no point in your replies did you ask for clarification of a single word and you didn't ask what i was referring to by my use of a particular word, that lead me to believe you didn't have any issue with the context, that you understood the context that the words where being used in, and that you actually had an issue with premise and/or conclusion of what i said and not the context.
    Perhaps next time you may want to start with asking why someone believes a particular metaphor is applicable, it would save a lot of bother. :)

The reason that metaphor has become so popular is because just like unicorns all the promises made by leave supporters have turned out to be mythical beings, they don't exist, they never have, they were fictitious, they were based on idealised visions of the past.

They were mythical things told to people to get them to believe in a cause.

15. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Seriously you need to try harder, you swing from posting like a child with petty name calling then try to tell others they should debate like an adult.

But if name calling is your level of debate, I think your contribution to the thread seems to be that of a Bretard.

Can you not see that most people do not automatically become remoaners or remainics just because they have not signed up to the cult of lies in regards Brexit.
    The longer it goes on the chances of anyone demonstrating any benefit from Brexit get slimmer and slimmer, eventually you have to accept there is highly likely to be none.

16. billysielu

Capodecina

Name calling is generally permitted in this thread as long as it's directed at people who want to leave the eu.

Name calling in response to that gets moderated.

17. matt100

Capodecina

Have we left yet?

18. Six6siX

Mobster

Yep.

19. Explosivo

Hitman

The cake is a lie

20. matt100

Capodecina

Meaningful vote 4 confirmed