1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

‘No u’

Await thine most impressive reply, it’s been stated literally a dozen times or more in just the last 100 posts and yet - tumbleweeds.

2. billysielu

Capodecina

Yeah basically, that whole post stinks of bias, it isn't even worth responding to.

3. Werewolf

Commissario

I'm seriously wondering why you even bother to post in this thread, you've shown no attempt or willingness to even consider any evidence or arguments, instead you just post "meh that's biased" or similar to every bit of documented evidence offered, yet will offer up random websites and bits offered with no backing evidence as concrete proof that the EU are responsible for practically everything wrong with the UK.

4. platypus

Caporegime

Goodness what a quality, well thought out rebuttal. Why haven't you been banned from SC yet?

Brexit in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. billysielu

Capodecina

Brexit in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen.

6. Six6siX

Mobster

Facts and evidence aren't biased. If you find that your position doesn't tally up, then you're probably wrong.

7. Mr Badger

Soldato

That's why it's best to create your own as some people are clearly willing to believe an alternative version of reality if it supports their Brexit cult. Is there any likelihood that real action will be taken about the overspending, outright lies, manipulation and propaganda of those that campaigned to leave the EU?

8. billysielu

Capodecina

Calling things facts that aren't facts is biased. Then presenting them in a certain way as if they prove something which they don't prove is also biased. This thread stinks of it.

9. platypus

Caporegime

What is not factual about the data I presented? Come on, you asked for proof and I've provided it. Now disprove it, thats how these things work.

10. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

shocking really

11. Murphy

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

12. platypus

Caporegime

Ok lets be fair. Ignore all the newspaper articles, they contain a lot of long words. Ignore the LSE blog posts, they're experts after all and what do they know?

Lets take a single one of the pieces of proof I provided to you, the data from the scientific technical and economic committee for fisheries (stecf) (https://stecf.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/43805/1034590/2015-07_STECF+15-07+-+AER+2015_JRCxxx.pdf) who have no real reason to provide a biased report. Unless you're going to seriously hypothesise that the EU member states and the EU fake the numbers?

I'll even narrow it down because I know you wont want to be reading such a long, evidence based report.

The average wage of the UK fishing industry has increased, year on year (from 2008 when, lets face it world wide recession led to a lot of problems):
    [​IMG]

The number of vessels has been largely stable:
    [​IMG]

Landings in weight and value of landings have gone up:
    [​IMG]

The one decline here that the numbers show is the small scale fishers revenue and GVA:
    [​IMG]

(which again supports my argument that the problem isn't the EU - it's how our government handles its quota, the assignment of which it controls).

Gross/Net profits:
    [​IMG]
    (reinforces the point about small time operators being frozen out, but paints the picture of a fairly thriving UK fishing industry as a whole).

There's zero evidence - that I can find - to suggest the UK fishing industry is in decline. Indeed the evidence points to the opposite - given that these reports are cyclical and the next one is due then once the 2015-2019 report is out these figures could well have changed, but then for you to have made this post:
    you surely have some evidence to back it up?

I'll repeat what I think the evidence points towards: mismanagement of fishing policy by the UK government has led to the widespread destruction of the livelihoods of many small time fishing businesses. Once we leave the EU and lose the €240m of subsidies that many of these fisherfolk depend on, they will be wiped out.

I've said what I think and I think most reasonable people would agree proven it. So I'll repeat what I said: your turn.

13. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

What are the fake 'facts'? Show us the 'real' facts.

14. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

@platypus you miss the point that those fishies are all ours, and some others are coming here and taking them

as part of taking back control we will stop them

We are going to place our newly erected borders at the edge of our waters and enforce it. And if any immigrant fish try to get in we will send them back!

I am not sure on the position yet as to if we will allow our fish to leave our waters, or if at birth they will need to be registered as British and not allowed out.

15. platypus

Caporegime

Which is why I included the article about a UK government minister admitting that post EU, we will apparently still allow EU nations to fish in our waters. I didn't think it really supported or negated my argument, but just used it to highlight the sheer idiocy of our own government. Who time and time again are to blame for most of our ills, but the EU are scapegoated.

There is also very definitely a case to be made that if we "allow" EU countries to fish in our waters then that is us controlling them, which is quite valid. It's the confused nature of the message that worries me.

16. platypus

Caporegime

Somewhat off topic, but I'm genuinely intrigued as to how someone like Nigel Farage has managed to position himself as a champion of the UK Fishing Industry, when one simply has to take 30 seconds to look up his attendance and voting record to realise he's a liar.

17. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

I know. And one of the very reasons we will allow others to fish here is we will want to fish there, because as i was messing about with in my post, the fish do not recognise the boundaries.
    If for some reason all the cod was sitting just outside our line on the map and we did not allow any reciprical fishing we would be literally unable to catch any!

18. Mr C

Hitman

I think what we need here, is to, BUILD A WALL!

Keep British fish British, keep out those thieving raping, euro fish. British fish for British people.

What do you mean unsustainable? You just aren't believing hard enough that the British fish are the best at reproducing, much better than all other fish, best in the world. They spawn faster than we can ever catch them!

In the old days i could walk up to any coastal town dip a stick in the water (back in my days we could only get sticks, none of these fancy modern nets!) and id catch 20 fish. Not like your modern fish, British fish, best fish, tasted best, who needs the EU beach regulations, raw sewage? I call it flavour. It's what won us the war you know!

19. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Its quite simple. The people he is appealing to do not understand, nor do they want to, would quite happily fish species to extinction, so they will happily listen to and support anyone who says what they want to hear.

They also want to turn back the clocks to days when there we row upon row of warehouses and fish processing plants stuffed full of people.

20. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

The people who do not want to have to find out facts, prefer to be spoon fed small soundbites, preferably in the tabloids. If it appeals to their patriotism and denigrates 'Johnny Foreigner' so much the better.