1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. thenewoc

Mobster

Except they're local councillors not MP's!

2. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

You wish.

3. Jokester

Don

The vast majority of people have still voted for pro-Brexit parties (or at least returned pro-Brexit party candidates). The people going to LibDems I assume are the pro-EU voters leaving Lab/Con behind.

4. ltron

Wise Guy

I agree, they're living in fantasy land if they believe that. If people wanted to get on with Brexit they'd vote Conservatives, Labour or UKIP. The main parties really seem to want Brexit irrespective of what we want; they have been exposed in all their naked delusion and it's excellent. These results put a smile on my face today.

We've definitely won this battle but to win the war we need to crush Nigel Farage's Brexit party in the European elections and I think we can do it if there is a high turnout (traditionally the turnout is low). I believe it's possible the polls are skewed if they asked only those who tend to vote in European elections (a large number are anti-EU) so don't lose hope and get out and vote.

5. Six6siX

Mobster

Brexiteers at the moment seem to be clutching at every possible straw to try and rationalise/justify these results to fit their viewpoint. It's strange.

6. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

As much as I would like to see Nigel Farage crushed, oops I mean Nigel farages cult party V2.0 crushed, its never going to happen.
    He is going to pickup a fairly large group, those whos number one interest is Brexit and everything else be damned. The party lets not forget that have practically no information about them, what they stand for.
    I wonder if these people would defect to the "Brexit and unicorns" party if it had a nice cult figurehead. My suspicion is they would. I hold them in contempt, they deserve it, for being so easily manipulated.

7. ltron

Wise Guy

It's a tough challenge, I agree. It's sad that the cult of personality is so strong in this country, but we've got to try and I'm going to hope for a surprise and that people are sufficiently motivated to vote in these elections in large numbers, particularly if they haven't in the past.

8. Mr Badger

Soldato

If the whole Brexit debacle has taught us one thing, it is that some people really don't require facts and details (in fact they actively reject those that conflict with their precious opinions) and instead vote based on feelings and simplistic soundbites.

9. chroniclard

Capodecina

Its hardly his personality, comes across as a complete bell, its the out at all costs/facts be damned mentality of a certain demographic.

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Aka over 65's with nothing better to do.

11. kindai

Soldato

I think most people have known this since before they could vote?

12. Murphy

Wise Guy

And local elections have typically been a bell weather for GE, you're in denial.

You can't be suggesting your typical leave supporting voter turned up at the polling station and decided that because there were no parties who supported their own personal version of Brexit that they decided to vote for a party that' diametric opposed to what they wanted.

Or are you suggesting that all these councilors that have lost seats just happen to have been doing a bad job locally across the entire country?

13. Stretch

Capodecina

So if a lot of leavers voted Labour or Conservative, why are they both down, along with UKIP?

Remember, most of these councils are in Brexit heartlands.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  14. FishFluff

Mobster

=
    So let me get this right. You think that NHS England, the organisation that commissions and pays for health services in England on behalf of 'the state', knows less than 'the state' about where the money goes? I don't think you're quite aware of how the NHS is structured and where the Department for Health and Social Care* fit in.

*I'm going to be charitable here and assume that's what you mean by 'the state'.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

The tories and labour can’t both be brexit parties and fake brexit parties at the same time, if the extreme elements of brexiteers think that the deal isn’t brexit and is in fact defacto membership... then we have to work within in that contradictory nonsense.

Labour isn’t realising how easy it would be to abuse this, if they help the tories deliver fake brexit and the BP continues to exist... the tories will be out and the Lib Dem vote eats mostly into SW England seats.

16. doodah

Capodecina

Does that one story where the hospital accepted liability represent all of health tourism?

17. Jono8

Caporegime

Entertaining the idea of Brexit and the referendum will go down as one of the biggest political mistakes in Tory party history.

A complete and utter miscalculation.

18. chroniclard

Capodecina

I would have thought the EU elections and/or a GE would be somewhat different as Brexit parties were just not represented in a lot of the local elections?

19. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

It is entirely possible and hilarious that some leave voters who had no idea what leave actually meant, have again voted without any idea for what they are voting for and shot themselves in the foot. It is no less than they deserve. If anyone tries to justify these results as a win for pro-leave, they are just enforcing how moronic the normal leave voter is

20. Jono8

Caporegime

Are people really saying that leave voters just voted for the most pro EU party?

Lol what?