1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'SC Archive' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrcoluk

Mobster

The problem is different people see what is best as different things, some genuinely seem to think brexit is best for the country. Others think revocation is best. This is why MPs are split as well as party whips.

2. Cern

Mobster

You do realise that voters in England cannot vote for the DUP because the DUP only stand in Northern Ireland constituencies? In 2017 the DUP got 36% of the vote and 10 seats in Northern Ireland. But I do agree they were elevated to 'kingmakers' just to keep May in power and this has had all sorts of repercussions.

3. StarShock

Wise Guy

yes, that was the joke

4. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Maybe when BoJo gets in, that will be the time for corbyn to call a proper commons VONC, as opposed to an internal tory one. Almost all labour MPs, maybe 25% of tory MPs, the lib dems, the greens and the SNP would support it.

Force a GE, get a hung parliament. And a cross party coalition.

Seems sensible to me. Bojo winning a tory leadership contest could be a blessing in disguise.

5. Mr Jack

Capodecina

You can tell by the :p

6. Cern

Mobster

Sorry, I missed the smiley. The signal to noise ratio in here has been so bad lately that the line between satire and rhetoric has become rather blurred.

7. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Sorry to quote myself, but boris could also eclipse May as the can carrier/worst prime minister so he could boast about it.

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

Several countries are in opposition so at the very best we'd get a lot of delays in a transition to WTO.

9. footman

Mobster

Even if countries object to our schedules we can still trade on uncertified schedules but that’s a side issue. The problems for WTO trading in an economy the size and maturity of ours are enormous. If a government adopts the Minford system of unilateral scrapping of import tariffs, figures of 85% and 97% of all tariffs have been mooted, then Minfords almost off the cuff prediction that manufacturing in the UK would be destroyed will come true. Global Britain my @rse.

10. Btone

Wise Guy

the agreement is with the con party not the leader so it carries on

under WTO the UK need to enforce it borders, which means the hardest of borders, which (leaving out any political reasons) would be next to impossible given the nature of the border remember we had just over 30,000 security forces in NI at a time and they still couldn't secure the border. once we have the next GE and what ever government that doesn't need the DuP is in power it will most likely be a border in the Irish sea

on a 65% turn out so in truth they represent only about 25% of the people of N.I, yet they are the Voice for ALL the people of NI

11. Stretch

Capodecina

I personally don’t think any of the above would be a good thing, but it’s entirely possible, likely even. It’s a total **** show.

12. mattyfez

Sgarrista

I'm not saying I like any of it. But it seems to be the best likely outcome

13. a1ex2001

Capodecina

I think a hung parliament and a multi party coalition is the best chance of resolving this mess.

14. Dolph

Man of Honour

Which would require a signficant change in attitude on the part of pretty much all parties. Both the Tories and labour will likely stand on unicorn hard brexit platforms again, while the smaller parties who actually get mps all believe in remain.

An attempt at compromise has already been made, and thoroughly rejected, so why would a GE help unless party positions (usually driven by party leaderships) have changed first.

15. Vern1961

Mobster

As an aside, watching "Patriot Games" last night, seeing how it used to be in Ulster there really is no way out of this other than Revoke or the lightest of light arms length removal from the EU, i.e. Norway or EEA. We really do not want or need to go back to the troubles which is what setting up a hard border within Ireland would likely spawn. BoJo et al may bang the drum for a hard Brexit but that still doesn't solve the Irish problem. And very unlikely any incoming UK Government of any colour would think the unthinkable and start the ball rolling to re-integrate Ulster with Eire as a united Ireland.

There seems to be a basic lack of understanding amongst the politicians involved and the more rabid Brexiteers, just how insurmountable the Irish issue actually is.

16. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

When leavers general case is based on belief and emotion facts are not considered such as how membership of the EU facilitated the good Friday agreement and means it has continued leaving a generation in Ireland living without the troubles.

17. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Raab seems to be the next headbanger the Tories need to avoid. Having seen him in that prog about the meetings of the deal it is obvious he is not the person for the job. Repeating some of the Mail soundbites in that meeting shows he would like Johnston be promoted beyond their abilities.

18. Jokester

Don

Dominic Raab the guy that agreed the deal and then immediately resigned over it?

19. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

The best of a bad bunch seems to be Stewart. He had negotiating skills from Iraq.

20. Dolph

Man of Honour

While I don't agree with Raab, Acknowledging that the deal you have negotiated is the best available given the framework you are working in, and not being able to support that deal, are two separate things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.