1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Murphy

Wise Guy

He's basically saying we should leave without a WA, there's going to be no renegotiation of the WA without serious effort on the EU's behalf and we've already wasted any goodwill that existed between us (they recently disbanded the A50 team so there's no one to renegotiate with anymore).

He may want to rule out a 2nd referendum, GE and revoking A50 but unfortunately that decision is not up to him (the executive/government), it's up to parliament, Brexit was fought on parliamentary sovereignty and 'taking back controlâ„¢' so for him to have conveniently forgotten this say a lot IMO.

2. footman

Mobster

Although Parliament voted against a no-deal brexit I have always understood this to be a non-binding vote. If we reach the end of October with no agreed WA and, although unlikely, the EU refuse to grant an extension then we will leave without a deal.

3. Old Man

Wise Guy

What do you gain if you leave EU (I don't want maybe this or that, but things that are in place to take over the current trade and what will be done to get back all the lost EU skilled workers that have left) ?

ty

4. Murphy

Wise Guy

True but to say that would be missing the bigger picture, many of those leave constituencies were borderline and as, in national polling, we've seen support for leave falling away there's a strong possibility many of those Labour leave constituencies are now remain constituencies, I'm sure there's data out there but it's the WE and I'm to lazy to go looking for it. :)

Either way politicians are meant to convince people of what they believe in, i think they used to call it conviction politics, not that I'd expect Corbyn to grow the backbone needed to make the case for remaining in the EU, he want's to leave as much as the ERG IMO.

5. Thecaferacer

Gangster

The polls are increasingly becoming next to useless. I'm in a favour of a GE just to see what would actually happen. The conservative front bench may be collapsing but I would bet the voter base is still solid. Labour voters are now being tempted away from all sides.

6. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Yes, exactly. No Deal is very much on the table, and I doubt parliament could stop a new Tory PM who wanted to go down that route.

7. String

Capodecina

I'm not in favour of a second referendum, it's just another excuse to attempt to manipulate the public. I'm in favour of admitting that the first referendum was a huge mistake.

8. Harlequin

Mobster

Lib Dems are running on the revoke ticket and cancel brexit, so Labour would need to be something different

9. String

Capodecina

I can't vote for them again after they enabled the Tories in that coalition.

10. FishFluff

Mobster

What are you basing that on? I thought they were pretty accurate for the recent EU elections?

11. Murphy

Wise Guy

If the last four years has taught me anything it's that the LibDems didn't enable the Conservatives, Labour never had a chance of forming a working coalition with the LibDems and SNP.

12. Dolph

Man of Honour

That's not quite true. He could simply porogue parliament to run out the clock on no deal.

13. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

When does the leadership contest officially start, on what date?

14. Murphy

Wise Guy

Never say never and all that but to discontinue the session without the intention of starting a new one would be pretty extraordinary, i though only the monarch could do that or at least it was done under the authority of the monarch. Maybe Liz would turn up at parliament and lay the whoop-down on MPs. ;)

15. Minusorange

Mobster

Does any one know if they're planning on postponing their summer break in order to try to resolve this ?

16. Greebo

Caporegime

You what? He's a complete ERG nutjob!

17. Steampunk

Soldato

I don't think the Lib-Dems get the credit they deserve for tempering the worst of the Tory excesses in that coalition. The story from that recent "inside Brexit" documentary was apparently that Cameron was hoping for the Lib-Dems to veto any Brexit referendum, thus getting him off the hook whilst being able to claim it wasn't his fault. When the Tories got a surprise majority, Cameron had to follow through, and here we are years later down the rabbit hole and in a big mess because the Lib-Dems were not there to slap Cameron on the bottom and stop him being a very naughty boy.

18. String

Capodecina

What??

The Lib Dems took their Government posts and threw their own policies out the window.

19. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Are you serious? They will carry on as normal.

20. Freakbro

Capodecina

7th of June I think