1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Except there was money there for schools but the Tories spent it on restructuring the system to suit their ideological view.

2. oweneades

Sgarrista

Sadly not, I was too busy analyzing what a no deal Brexit mean for us and what we would do to mitigate (to a degree) the costs. Everything is possible but understanding the hits to margins is the key. Tariffs (ala basic FTA) are only part of the picture. The non tariff barriers to trade (documentation, declarations etc - basically everything that comes with not being in a Customs Union) and the associated delays also play a great part in decision making.

Oh and also trying to work out what on earth HMRC are doing with their new CDS system..

3. FishFluff

Mobster

There isn't a shortage of primary school places, but there is a shortage of secondary ones in some areas. As usual though, this is a lack of council/government planning rather than a load of 11+ year old EU immigrants showing up. The secondary shortage was known about when I still worked in education and that was 4 years ago.

4. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Last I heard HMRC have not even started to get the extra tax officials needed to process the extra workload thus ensuring delays and cost to industry.

5. oweneades

Sgarrista

I have read similar, although I do know that they extended support and heavily bolstered the existing CHIEF system to copy.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

That’s because no deal staff were told to stop after the delay, I believe. Another charmer from May.

7. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Indeed, as we have just had years of primary school shortages due to increased numbers it does not take a genius to work out that these children will eventually go to secondary schools and plan accordingly.

8. doodah

Capodecina

So austerity, PFIs and under-funding (including the price per pupil) have little to do it? So the problem will disappear shortly after we leave/end freedom of movement?

9. matt100

Capodecina

You get this guy has a totally blinkered view of this and is only really here to bark his beliefs and then engage in a bit of juvenile mudslinging?

You'd have much the same conversation if you go discuss brexit with a brick.

10. ColdAsIce

Mobster

Yea, I think he believes EU immigrants are the same as illegal immigrants / asylum seekers. Farage sold him the lie on that billboard and he's still eating it up.

11. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

These are the migrants who when you deduct benefits contribute £13,500,000,000 to the UK ?

Maybe we could use some of that to pay for their school places ?

That would give 2,700,000 primary school places.

12. matt100

Capodecina

Again, trying to play the pragmatist.. he probably has all sorts of reasons for his beliefs. He's truly awful at trying to change anyone's mind on them but that's his right and I suspect he's not even trying.. this is some sort of game and you won't get to the truth of it. It's essentially trolling.. which as I was trying to say earlier exists on both sides.

1) It's the will of the people, it's democracy, we'll be fine, don't talk the country down, the EU are evil and nasty, it's all remoaner project fear are you too stupid or weak to see that

or

2) You're a moron, can't you see the weight of evidence I believe in, are you a racist, lol look at the fool, prod him, he wants to go back to the 70s

ad infinitum.

13. Murphy

Wise Guy

You have offended my pet brick deeply. ;)

14. matt100

Capodecina

Lol..

All I'm saying is I believe that our brexit members are just as pig headed as our most staunch remainers in this thread.

Of course you think you have a point, so do they, and lobbing bricks at each other is getting nowhere.

15. Rilot

Don

And this is the crux of the problem. The two views - leave or remain - are diametrically opposed to each other. Any ground given whatsoever in either direction is unacceptable.
    Remain gives a little towards Leave and it's not Brexity enough for the leavers, but worse than our current position for remainers.
    Leave gives a little towards Remain and it's not close enough to the EU for remainers, and again not Brexity enough for leavers.

There is no way out of this with a compromise. The best they can hope for is satisfying the 52%. Any attempt to hit the middle ground will end up not satisfying anyone at all as was shown by the frosty reception that the WA received.

16. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Without immigration, schools would be far worse. Don't let your prejudices of immigrants blind you from the fact that immigrants are a net benefit to our school system and health system, both tax wise and job wise. Fact is that not many home grown teachers and nurses want to work for the NHS and state schools.

Before you can bang on about being more exclusive to those people with skills we do want, our attitude towards migrants is responsible for the drop in the number of migrants coming and doing jobs we do need them to do here.

Post referendum figures on registered foreign nurses were appalling for example.

I would rather my child travel a bit further so they could sit next to a brown kid in a class of 30, than walk down the road to the nearest school where classes consist of 60+ students per teacher.

17. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Not gonna bother trying to prove that, are you?

18. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

19. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

The problem comes when rather than just wanting the best available deal they simply chose a side. This ties people in knots as they try to support increasingly unrealistic positions. Currently my choice would be to continue with the current EU membership but if someone explained an alternative deal which was better for the UK overall then that would be great. So far no one supporting brexit has been able to do this, mainly relying on emotion rather than fact.

20. robfosters

Caporegime

Change UK have split up already :rolleyes:

Anna Soubry the new leader.