1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Martini1991

Caporegime

Why would you vote for a party that's strictly against Brexit?

2. robfosters

Caporegime

Because my disability benefits are for more important to me than brexit at this moment in time.

3. Martini1991

Caporegime

Honestly, I don't know how to respond to this.
    You're reliant on a social care system that you don't seem to support/actually believe in.

My own personal opinion is that you've got every right to that system. But I've never supported politicians whom seek to take that away, unlike you.

I sympathise with you. But I'm utterly bemused.

EDIT : I don't mean this as an attack, or an insult etc.

4. garnett

Mobster

Sorry, but which bit is the wind-up?

You voted for the Atlanticists' NHS-destroying fantasy, and yet "your disability benefits are far more important than Brexit"?

What. The. Actual. ****?

5. footman

Mobster

It doesn’t matter just how Parliament vehemently opts for a stop to a no-deal brexit, this time with a binding vote, it’s the EU who will call the tune. With nothing agreed and the EU refusing an extension it’s out we go, but of course we have utterly mendacious politicians like Loathsome talking about a “managed no-deal” brexit.
    The Conservative Party only cares about itself.

6. robfosters

Caporegime

Yes, I’m a very conflicted individual. I’m the epitome of an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other.

7. Cern

Mobster

You've been very vocal in various threads here in support of Brexit and the Brexit Party. Are you genuinely worried that some of the consequences of Brexit might be starting to get a little too close to home for comfort, or just yanking our chains?

8. robfosters

Caporegime

Of course I’m worried about the consequences, but I’m worried about the consequences of staying in as well as coming out. Tbh, I don’t know what the **** to think anymore, it’s all a load of hairy testicles.

I think I’ll just go to bed.

9. Martini1991

Caporegime

What exactly are the consequences of staying in exactly?

10. Colonel_Klinck

Hitman

Wow voting for the Brexit Party that will cut benefits faster than any Tory ever dreamed of. NHS, bye bye. Like others I'm dumbfounded someone in your position would vote for a party that will leave you screwed. Its like a turkey voting for Xmas.

11. chrcoluk

Mobster

Indeed, thats the argument I have always made, if the government is giving money to the people either in the form of tax cuts or benefits, then the way to do it to benefit the economy is to give it to the poorest people.

If you give a poor guy £100 he will almost certainly spend it and push it back into the economy, whilst a millionaire wouldnt.

However I think tax cuts shouldnt even be a consideration right now, the country is suffering from some pretty severe under spending on a government level, and tax cuts will only make that worse.

12. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Unbelievable. So the shouty man and media have told you to be angry about something, and you get angry and put a cross in his box (at least twice), but suddenly when it gets a bit real for you and others like you then it is time to look for options other than being angry at something that somebody told you to be angry about.

Although unbelievable, it isn't at all surprising.

13. garnett

Mobster

Meanwhile, in a different part of the Brexiteer clownshow circus tent...

It really is all falling to ****.

Hopefully, as a cautionary tale, "What happened when the Brexiteers took over" is not going to fall to pieces before some sort of calamitous finale.

14. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Interesting. I was doing some research at work today, and looked forward at some of the ONS projections. The last one was 2016 - 2041, which is likely statistically still relevant as although there's been Brexit mess since, immigration is still happening - just from areas outside the EU.

I always find statistics like these, and the detail in them, absolutely fascinating. For example, I found that for one particular product that we're considering developing, we'd have to soon being to attract a client who will be, on average, 10 years older than our norm which is a significant deviation and would require a very different approach.

What I also found in the same dataset headlines was that immigration is likely to deliver over 70% of the future net population growth of the UK over the next 25 years compared to native domestic births. This is due to immigration, emigration, and the first wave of baby boomers dying.

Of course, these are things that many have known for some time - they tend to only be reviewed annually but when the impact is seen over the longer term it is quite telling.

Hopefully it'll end up with a better population and electorate than the one we have now.

15. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Going to swap Europeans for Africans, Indians and Asians.

Was always going to be the case. Be interesting to see how that pans out with the people I know who voted out, who it must be said are all closet racists.

16. Murphy

Wise Guy

TBH i think @robfosters is right in the desire to see the Farage party in power, I've said it before but it's only when people like Farage get their hands on power that people see them for what they are, it didn't work when the EU gave him a prominent role of the fisheries comity because most leave supporters pay zero attention to what goes on over there, Farage and his special kind of politics will only lose its influence when people experience the effects of such ideologies, just like the people of a certain country did 75 years ago.

17. chroniclard

Capodecina

lol good job on that immigration Brexiters, massive spanners.

18. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Like others I’m just... I don’t understand! Martini says it well.
    @robfosters
    Most people, like me, who vote against the Tories (and Brexit) are actually deliberately doing so to protect people in need like you.

Time for a rethink, maybe?

19. matt100

Capodecina

Yep, that's my position.

There by the grace of God and all that.

20. 413x

Capodecina

Wish I was immune enough to say. Fudge it, get the brexit party in and watch it all burn Teach em all a lesson that extreme parties suck.

I guess a lot of brexiteers like Rob are starting to get concerned out might hit their actual pocket now and that's more important than immigrants or the dirty EU..

Bridgend plant is closing near here. Ford won't say if been accelerated by brexit. But things like this are starting to bite.

I'm in the position to buy a house soon. No idea what to do