1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. garnett

Mobster

Lol... We post proper media outlets and you dismiss them as "long-worded mouthpieces of the elite and those darn experts we've had enough of".

We post stuff you usually like, and you dismiss it too.

Why don't you tell us what source you'll accept?

... And with thinking like that emboldened and in the ascendancy is it any wonder the world's opinion of the UK has plummeted:-

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. ltron

Wise Guy

We can't vote for you though Mr Stewart, that's whole point. Only a small group of mostly rabid Brexiteers can vote for our next prime minister in this hilariously democratic system.

3. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

4. loftie

Hitman

There was a phrase. I can't quite remember it, it's on the tip of my tongue.

Oh yea. **** business.

In all seriousness, I can't see BoJo - or the other nutcase potential PMs - caring about if business is ready or not for no deal in october. Or if anything else is ready.

5. garnett

Mobster

I thought it was £6k. What am I doing wrong?

The basic 20% tax band stops at £50k, and the higher rate of 40% kicks in on anything above that up to £150k.

Boris is proposing upping that juncture from £50k to £80k.

That £30k subject to the proposed change is currently attracting £12k of tax and will instead draw £6k under Boris...

I've seen £3k written everywhere, so I'm pretty sure I'm slipping up somewhere.

6. tamzzy

Sgarrista

national insurance.

7. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

The Tory objectives have been narrowed to trying to keep votes away from UKIP Mk2 and trying to cling onto power. Nothing else matters. It is shocking. I just read in the Eye that industry have been sitting on their donations to the Tory Party for a while now and the coffers are nearly empty which is why they want to avoid another GE.

8. chrcoluk

Mobster

Actually reducing the weekly amount can be very politically damaging if the press pick up on it, the way cuts usually get done is to shift the goalposts on the qualifying criteria so less qualify and also to stop the increases in line with inflation. Thats exactly what happened when PIP replaced DLA. Ironically tho the amount of savings were a pittance compared to what was planned, and same with when ESA replaced IB.

Brexit will make us economically weaker, and given the overwhelmingly vast majority of EU immigrants dont claim disability benefits, will also increase the amount claiming disability as a % of the population. So I think there will be additional pressure for cuts, but whether it will happen remains to be seen.

Labour I dont think are a party for the disabled, at least they were not under blair. They seem to love throwing money at children, but the disabled did suffer under the last labour government. Corbyn I dont know.

9. Fairly sure the answer is no

Sgarrista

would make it even higher not lower...

10. garnett

Mobster

Thanks.

Didnt know about the "tax break" higher earners effectively get by enjoying that massive reduction in national insurance percentage contributions above 50k.

11. Jono8

Caporegime

So labour lost today because 8 of their own party voted with the government and 10 abstained (some through agreed absence though).

What a shambles.

12. neckbeardthethird

Hitman

New Malden. I think half its population is Korean, majority are South Korean but it also has the largest group of North Koreans anywhere in the world outside of Korea. So many amazing restaurants.

13. tamzzy

Sgarrista

national insurance is based on a % of one's take home pay...
    for >65 yrs, you don't pay any - ergo £6k year tax break for pensioners if BoJo increases basic tax from £50k to £80k
    (i think, so don't quote me on that) BoJo also wanted to raise the national insurance contributions overall...hence for <65 yrs, it's only an effective £3k tax break.

EDIT: https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9259036/what-are-income-tax-rates-2019-boris-johnson/

14. Stretch

Capodecina

Given we’re mid way through a Tory leadership contest I’m surprised the vote was that close tbh.

Some Labour MPs are always going to wait for others to do their dirty work.

Likewise, many Tories are going to wait until the new leader has his/her feet under the desk, and see what they genuinely think, before essentially forcing them into GE.

15. Stretch

Capodecina

Anyone watching the Newsnight interview with the Chinese ambassador to the UK must see why a trade deal with China is impossible without a complete sellout of UK geo political interests, including a great deal of implicit sovereignty.

China vs UK, it's their way or the highway.

The EU could negotiate that deal on our behalf without the need to compromise a jot.

16. Dolph

Man of Honour

Corbyn's ability to make matters work through abject incompetence is truly incredible. Still, it gets corbyn closer to the no deal he wants.

17. garnett

Mobster

Yes. I don't think alignment of NI has been mentioned by Boris, but fully expect that he only mentioned what he'd be giving away. Not that he'd be simultaneously be taking back 60% of what he was promising.

:rolleyes:

With that sort of "promise" I can see why he appeals to Brexiteers.

18. robgmun

Capodecina

It's your problem that you didn't join the tory party as a member so you could vote.

I don't know how true it was, but when Labour dropped the membership to £3 a couple of years back, I heard a lot of right-leaning people joined so they could vote in someone who was unelectable

19. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

It’s good to see more indication of all that control we’re going to be taking back, sadly some Brexiteers just can’t grasp that the Empire is gone and we’re actually quite a small fish v the largest economies that we seem to want free trade deals with.

Take back control from Brussels and start parcelling it out to Washington, Beijing, Delhi and Brasilia......

20. garnett

Mobster

Yes. It was well documented.

And then a lot of them tried to blame the unfettered Conservative Brexit Shambles on an ineffective opposition.

Over and over, the Brexit debate, and the divide it has exposed across the UK, proves to be largely about whether you shirk responsibility for your actions and your lot in life.