1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. StriderX

Capodecina

Huh? How does that prove what you've said? It clearly shows a reduction vs GDP, ie a real terms loss.

Oh and PFI is a Major policy (which was being ramped up in 1996 regardless of who was to be in power the next year), but you know have fun with that nonetheless, that's no excuse for New (Tory) Labour for continuing to use it, but don't bloody rewrite history.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. Caracus2k

Mobster

How is 34.8 to 35.3 a reduction?

It went down from 36.1% to 35.3% under labour from 07-08 to 10-11 most likely due to labour reducing taxes in this period to stimulate the economy after the crash. Which was a sensible thing to do.

But from 1997 to 2010, taxes went up as a percentage of GDP so 'tax cuts' doesn't make for a sensible explanation as to why there was less revenue to spend on infrastructure as a percentage of GDP in the time labour kicked off mass immigration into the UK.

PPP's might have started under Major but as my previous link shows it ballooned under labour.

From 1990-91 to 1996-1997 PPP's came to around 1.9 billion in total for comparison

I'm quite happy to criticise the tories for starting it but it was Labour who continued it and massively expanded its size.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Like I said everyone will see it differently and I didn’t say everyone who flies it is racist it just has an image problem. The George cross (flag for the pedants) has an image problem.

I don’t have the same problem with the Scots and welsh flag purely because they haven’t been co-opted by far right nutters!

4. McstylisT

Wise Guy

What the hell is this. ??

More remainiacing is all this is. Just same left shouting down when they do not accept something. #sighh

oh please dont vote brexit or the above will happen. LOOOOOOOOL

5. McstylisT

Wise Guy

The decency of the flag has nothing to do with far right nutters or not. At current times it's the current flag of England, it should be respected by all that reside there. Anyone with a problem should be ashamed of themselves.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

How about you respect the flag by not using it to support a xenophobic platform?

The sooner this union of nations end the sooner you can fly that canvas hatred all you like.

7. McstylisT

Wise Guy

8. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Lol ashamed?!?!?

9. McstylisT

Wise Guy

Because it has vale and meaning. I am sorry but constant immigration only causes catastrophic damage and will bring down the quality of this great Country. We are at breaking point, we cant keep going on like the past years gone accepting all people from everywhere on planet earth. To make something of quality it has to be rare. It has to be genuinely care for by its occupants. Half the people who come here dont give a flying .... anything. Just sponge.

Look at france ? Germany is on its way.

10. McstylisT

Wise Guy

Extremely.

11. StriderX

Capodecina

12. StriderX

Capodecina

Like the immigration during Roman, Norman, Saxon and Viking eras that caused "catastrophic" damage, what about the damage of the British Empire, we took in a great deal of immigrants then, and yet we were at our peak? History doesn't seem to agree with your recollection as we thrived on those events.

How are we at breaking point when our economy is doing well? And no quality does not have to be rare, otherwise we would just cull 99% of the native population, would you agree with that? I doubt it.

Your true motives are as ever really abundantly clear, why not just admit what you are?

13. a1ex2001

Capodecina

It is worth a read but I would question it as a reliable independent source and it certainly does exactly what it accuses all other research of ie playing up one side of an argument.

The overwhelming weight of information from independent sources still supports a large negative hit to the economy just as they did correctly before the original vote.

14. V F

Capodecina

That's not what they were saying days ago with it contracting.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

It's only contracting in manufacturing which he must agree is something he wants because Minford said it, who the ERG used as evidence.

16. a1ex2001

Capodecina

My brother did a tour of afghan and wouldn’t be seen with a George cross (flag for the pedants) should he be ashamed?

17. Murphy

Wise Guy

They're words. ;)

Also i thought Brexit was meant to cut across party line and yet hear you are screaming about how the 'left' are trying to shout it down, is that an admission that Brexit is in fact a hard right ideologically driven project?

Oh and BTW I'm still waiting for you to respond to the following post...

18. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

So they reckon sterling will devalue yet again making everyone poorer again. This will increase the cost to the country(more borrowing + servicing)

The problem with their fishing scenario is that the licenses have been sold to foreign companies(mainly Spanish and Danish). If you remove those licenses you will be taken to court for compensation. It is a contract.

Abolishing CAP. Dear oh dear. According to the Agricultural Budgeting and Costing book shows the average cost of the most profitable grain, wheat, costs on average £152 per tonne. This years harvest price was £140 per tonne. What is keeping farmers afloat is the EU's Basic Protection Scheme which gives them £80/acre. Removal of this bankrupts farming and yes you will be able to buy cheaper abroad(Russia, America and Brazil) but bye, bye food security. Also as mentioned above this means more borrowing and servicing costs. Beef, sheep etc are similarly affected. Funnily enough the Brexiteers favourite economist agrees. P.S. Gove was going to do something similar from 2021-22 but has not said, so far, what will take it's place.
    Cutting tariffs will kill any clothing and textile production in the UK. Yes you can buy it cheaper abroad but yet again borrowing and servicing costs increase again.
    Trade deals. Unfortunately it bases on productivity gains which if you have been awake over the past three years has shown that our productivity continues to decline so using gains from productivity in figures is misleading.
    The UK Govt is cutting and pasting EU rules and regs for its trade deals, it is not creating new frameworks due to the time and complexity of replacing so many deals so you cannot add gains from something which is not happening and will not happen in a Brexit scenario for a couple of decades. Their regulation framework model omits what the other party to any deal will want.
    Wishful thinking at best.

19. Nasher

Capodecina

We already lost our food security and it's getting worse as we pave over more land to build houses for our now overflowing population. Many of who don't contribute anything, or not enough to pay for their keep.

20. StriderX

Capodecina

So the minimum wage lackies that have no choice aren't contributing?