1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'SC Archive' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garnett

Soldato

Inexplicably strange times meanwhile...

It seems like - and someone'll have to explain this one slowly - the Mercosur countries. Clubbed. Together. To. Harness. More. Clout. By. Negotiating. As. A. Union.

A real head-scratcher.

2. Murphy

Mobster

I thought people who voted for Brexit voted to leave in the full knowledge that a 'no deal' was a distinct possibility and that 'no deal' was nothing to fear, and now you're saying they're fighting to get 'a deal'.
    That's a bit rich coming from someone who refused to answer and avoided this question...
    I have to say it's kind of hilarious that you'd post a link that debunks the claim you're trying to make, at the bottom of that article you posted it specifically says "The Treaty does not specify a particular timetable for joining the euro area, but leaves it to Member States to develop their own strategies for meeting the condition for euro adoption."

So it's not so much forced on countries, it's not a condition of joining, and they don't have to adopt it, it's more a we'd like you to get around to joining it one day but in your own time.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  3. MatteH Oxford

Wise Guy

If every EU citizen working in Britain left then there would be no housing crisis.

4. joey1211

Mobster

There'd be no one prepared to wipe your grandma's botty either.

5. Murphy

Mobster

Well that didn't turn out very well, (source) During the meeting – which ended with a vote of 123-61 in Gauke’s favour, with one abstention – the proposer of the motion admitted that he had only joined the Conservative party in February. He called the MP a “Brexit wrecker” with an “extremist anti-leave stance” in his speech.

I'm going to guess the irony of trying to overturn the will of the people who elected him is lost on leave supporters, they're literally fifth columnists.

6. MatteH Oxford

Wise Guy

Increase the number of hours to 30 in order to claim tax credits, problem solved. Too many are paid to be idle in Britain.

7. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

This is what concerns me. The brexit party have no policies, no manifesto and no plan. All they campaigned for is a no deal brexit which will cause a lot of damage to the UK. The other parties have MP’s , councillors etc. who are directly responsible for delivering key services to people.

Johnson has caused his own problems by his continual Trump style rhetoric over a long period of time. If the media hold a mirror up to him he only has himself to blame. Having seen the poverty, racism and suffering in the US we do not want it over here.

8. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

That’s a UK national government decision, nothing to do with the EU if the UK government chooses to remove benefits from the working poor, for example from the 4,000,000 families with children on tax credits.

9. StriderX

Caporegime

Being idle is a consequence of utterly pointless jobs and a lack of hours, punishing them for business not paying enough is disgraceful.

And yet Poverty has increased since 2010, not decreased, all you'd do is make children starve.

10. MatteH Oxford

Wise Guy

A huge amount of EU citizens come to Britain due to the generous in work welfare, if it wasn't so generous less would come, there would be more work available per person even in those pointless Jobs described above. Ending freedom of movement would improve the situation even more so.

11. bayo000

Mobster

Those pesky Schrodinger's EU citizens. They under cut wages cos 10+ of them house share and at the same time responsible for the lack of millions of houses needed to fix housing crisis.

Just look at immigration figures since referendum. The number of EU nationals is falling but non EU number is increasing so overall the level of immigration is the same.

12. StriderX

Caporegime

Uh no, EU immigrants are net benefit to the chancellor, you are literally incorrect.

13. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

You did not answer my question. You put in a study that ignored any political or social inputs and came to a conclusion. As I said in my reply, at best an academic exercise and at worst useless.
    Still waiting.

14. Caracus2k

Soldato

All above obliged I. E compelled to join the euro

15. StriderX

Caporegime

And it's been posted several times now that compelled does not mean "forced to", they've all put in measures to stall their accession and it's entirely legal.

16. Caracus2k

Soldato

I was asked... .

I provided an example and all we have since from you is nonsence.

17. Caracus2k

Soldato

No ones forced to join the EU but adoption of the Euro is now a requirement for aspiring states to adopt I. E. Its an imposed condition of membership to the EU.

We mentioned Poland before... Public opinion has be polled against adopting the Euro in the past but regardless they will be compelled to adopt the Euro if they remain in the EU.

18. Caracus2k

Soldato

Welcome to remainiac clown world were words no longer mean anything.

19. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

The usual rubbish from you.

Notice the two areas highlighted. In principle ..... not forced. There is no mechanism to actually force a state to join the Euro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47523168

20. MatteH Oxford

Wise Guy

The damage has already been done, however if every single person who migrated here over the last twenty years left in the next few months then there would be about a decade's worth of housing supply empty.

I bought my home in 1997, pre tax credits & mass immigration. The UK was a vastly better (i.e. fairer) place to live back then for an average worker as there was no housing crisis and an average salary bought an average home.

The situation in 2019? Don't make me laugh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.