1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Quartz

Soldato

And they accept that. They just think the short-term price is worth the long-term gain.

2. Quartz

Soldato

Definitely not true. At least those to whom I spoke before the referendum.

3. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Please detail the long term gains you think will happen.

4. Screeeech

Mobster

1000x this, I'm dying to know - because in 4052 pages of this thread I'm still to read anything that provides any such detail, other than unicorns.

5. ratface

Hitman

Cheaper big macs served by thankful native flag waving patriots or x-farmers as they shall be known

6. Mr Badger

Soldato

Fixed that for you. News reports suggest UK beef farmers are currently struggling due to Brexit uncertainty and rising veganism. Let's see how they cope against cheap US imports...

7. krooton

Capodecina

Only a few years ago, this type of crud was somewhat restricted to tabloids and daytime tv, and the people lapping that up laughed at by most normal people, but now the internet is so ingrained, plus itchy-sharing-trigger-fingers minus any sort of critial thinking means misinformation now moves faster and more dangerously than any biological viruses out there. :(

8. simpletom

Wise Guy

The democratisation of information has also opened the gates to the democratisation of misinformation. There is simply too much [conflicting] information available and people are simply going to parrot from their favourite platform. Much like the old days, but significantly it's easier to provide 'alternative' facts due to ease of availability.

If we don't learn from this mistake, other countries will. There is a silver lining to all clouds, I guess.

9. Screeeech

Mobster

And every time you ask 'Ok, how will we benefit from Brexit - in real terms, please help me understand' you're met with stuff that's either so wooly and vague, such as 'well we have our sovereignty back' and 'now we're free to make our own trade deals' or 'British jobs for British people' and so on.

When you repeat "Please help me understand how we'll benefit from those things, in real terms" it resolves down to "You're just a remoaner who can't accept the result, you're a bad loser!" or words to that effect, when really - I just want to know how we'll benefit.

I don't care who won or lost, or whether the democratic will of the people MUST be upheld at any cost whatsoever - I don't care about that, because I don't care about the democratic will of the people, it means nothing to me.

I want to know how we'll benefit from this decision as a society, that's what I want to know.

10. Rroff

Man of Honour

Just quoting this as I'm still waiting for an answer myself...

11. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

I too have never had an answer either. My view as always is simply choose the best deal leave or remain is irrelevant to me.

12. Nasher

Capodecina

"We will never leave the EU"
    "Farage won't be back"
    "Boris will never be PM"

What's next that won't happen?

13. chroniclard

Capodecina

Our two most recent PMs will be unelected bureaucrats.

14. StriderX

Capodecina

Corbyn wont be PM.

15. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

Scotland will vote to leave the UK..

16. Btone

Hitman

DuP "there never be a united ireland"

17. garnett

Mobster

What a hilarious set of statements?

What on earth is this post trying to say? Because it reads like...

"Nobody would be stupid enough to do that!"
    "Well I win because here I am to prove you wrong!"

18. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

We have not left the EU, yet.
    James O'Brien predicted in 2016 that Farage would return to continue with a 'we are being betrayed' narrative. He was spot on.
    He isn't yet.

You writing the benefits of Brexit.

19. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Citation needed for people actually saying it would be nice, too. Nasher doing his usual of not bothering to fact check and just posting implied truths.

20. McstylisT

Wise Guy

I’m pretty sure if the tories mess this up. Maybe a brexit party government along the line. You heard it here first.