1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Jono8

Caporegime

Farage is getting things going look -

2. tamzzy

Sgarrista

oh look joseph goebbels reincarnated...

3. FoxEye

Capodecina

We do love a good bit of hyperbole here, don't we.

"It'll be worse than your most feverish nightmare; children will hunt rats to eat; old women will preach the end of days. Boris Johnson will gun down the poor in the streets with a 12-gauge shotgun, along with his personal army of leather-booted secret police."

I'm sure that's exactly what Brexit will deliver!

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

You aren't far off the mark - a good percentage of people in this country are falling for one of Goebbels's oldest tricks (though not something he invented) hook line and sinker - yet I bet they look scornfully at the Germans of that period and ask how they were ever complicit! and that they'd have never been part of it.

5. tamzzy

Sgarrista

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

6. FoxEye

Capodecina

"A stopped clock is correct twice a day."

I'm sure the predictions of our impending journey towards fascism and dictatorship are somewhat wide of the mark.

Is anyone seriously sat in front of their PC right now, thinking "Oh my, we're just like Nazi Germany." Seriously, go outside. Smell the roses. It aint happening.

7. tamzzy

Sgarrista

i bet that's what the german citizenry said in the 1920s :p

not really. playing cities skylines at the moment. being a virtual dictator :p

8. ltron

Wise Guy

It's prudent to not take the first steps on that journey though and we are worryingly close to doing so.

9. Mr Badger

Soldato

Just keep repeating "It can't happen here" whilst showing total, unquestioning loyalty and obedience to the party and you will have nothing to fear. Probably.

10. loltim

Capodecina

I'd rather live in post-Brexit UK than Poland, but freedom of movement might make that worthwhile tbh. This is how ******-up Brexit is:p

11. garnett

Mobster

Lol. The guy said, "worse than many could possibly have imagined" - that could easily mean "worse than all those who imagined the range of outcomes weren't that different to how things are now." - you know, just how many Brexiteers came on here to say, "nothing will change".

You post your ridiculously overblown interpretation, and then accuse him of hyperbole.
    Again, a bit of a strawman argument. Nobody's claiming Farage is wearing Jack boots and talking German. He's not exactly the same.

The point being made is that many Nazi party tactics are being implemented (as they themselves have bragged about) to leverage the more unquestioning of the population.

Your implicit assertion that the Nazi popped into existence, fully fledged, is the error in logic that's causing this difference of opinion.

12. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

There is an (now old) BBC series that goes behind the Nazi party, its called something like "the Nazis lessons from history"
    Its a very good watch, it shows how it all started and how it ended (obviously). Its actually quite scary how relatively small things, (such as electing specific individuals, or when a nation somehow feels oppressed) can turn the tide against what the general populace want, they don't realise until its too late.

We should show no tolerance to the intolerant.

13. Rilot

Don

Poland is fine as long as you have money. If you don't have money then yeah, not nice.

14. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Doesnt that within reason apply to most places in the globe. Arguably the UK as well, very much so in the US...

15. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Just yesterday Nigel Farage said on his radio show that "all remainers should be removed from the civil service and military".

That's Nigel Farage, someone who has a chance at being an actual political leader of this country in the near future, demanding that people be removed from their jobs because of their political opinion(s). So no, whilst we're not gassing jews by the trainload, we are falling into fascism headfirst.

16. Evangelion

Capodecina

So, Boris will be the next PM. That means a rock hard Brexit with extreme prejudice.

17. FoxEye

Capodecina

I don't think Farage will get anywhere near political office, besides being an MEP which is basically a protest election to a job very few are taking seriously; in a place where he will have not so very much influence anyhow, as he's in a small minority there.

As far as being a UK MP... I wouldn't say he's got much of a chance. He's tried and failed a few times.

18. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

Its a bit more than a few, its in fact 7 times so far and counting
    There are a few seats he would stand a chance in, carswells old seat for example

I dont really think he wants it though, I think he prefers to be able to play the victim card, its the demographic he targets lets not forget

19. D.P.

Caporegime

He is in charge charge of the Brexit Party though, and given how atrocious the Tories are and that Labour is also loosing votes then a hung election is likely and there is some small chance that Farge becomes an MP after Boris fails to deliver Brexit. Thus there is a high chance of hung Parliament, and although a labour + LD coalition is liekly bigger and has more favorable odds the Tories will do anything to stay in power so some bizarre Tory+BXP coalition would not be unheard of. And Then you have Farge pushing the fascist agenda to new levels.

But then again Boris himself seems to be determined to run a fascist dictatorship without Farage.

20. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

When the GE is eventually called I'm going to place a bet that no Brexit candidate gets elected. I think this will especially be true if Boris strengthens the Tories position on Brexit during the election.