1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit Discussion

Discussion in 'SC Archive' started by FrenchTart, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montymint

Mobster

That was quite moving, thanks for sharing it

2. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Not needing any help from Ken Clarke, Johnson and his SPAD are managing that task themselves.

3. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Didn't one of the Tories say something like "The Irish should know their place"

4. garnett

Mobster

I think you need to be careful. I'll not pretend that I gave NI masses of thought pre-referendum, but that's because I saw enough wrong with Brexit to make up my mind to vote Remain without needing to.

When you consider "People that Brexiteers proved incapable of considering", the people of NI are in a long queue also populated by certain medical patients, the less well-off, EU residents, certain businesses and industries... Etc etc.

For the large part quite a few, it seems, it's pretty much everyone but themselves... in some cases it could be argued that they weren't even able to think about themselves - because they didn't realise Brexit would affect them.

(Edited just to reduce the scope of Brexiteers to whom I think this applies)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Rroff

Man of Honour

Kingsmill massacre is some grim reading - the survivor (10 dead) had been shot 18 times alone - seems like they just unloaded multiple magazines (EDIT: 136 shots fired) from a couple of assault rifles until they got bored.

6. Tony Edwards

Mobster

I think Perty Patel said starve them out or something.

https://inews.co.uk/news/priti-patel-home-secretary-ireland-food-shortages-backstop-brexit/

7. Greebo

Caporegime

Reportedly and he was never named except for the was a senior MP and ex cabinet minister so your guess is as good as mine.

8. Cern

Mobster

That's a rather unfair slur on Remainers in general, many of whom strongly made (and continue to make) the point about the impact of Brexit on the GFA and peace process, particularly in the event of No Deal. It was largely dismissed as Project Fear by Leavers and the media at the time and still is.

Also, please do not conflate the position of Remainers in general with the official Remain stance of Cameron's government at the time of the referendum. Quite frankly the worst possible thing Cameron did for the Remain cause was to officially support it.

9. StuBob

Gangster

BJ and Tories going to do all they can to get GE as soon as possible to carry on shenanigans. What would be great is Parliament settling Brexit since that is what Brexiteers tell us they want an the rest of the country would like that. VONC in government whether they bring it on themselves or through the opposition can potentially see government of national unity with Parliament and MP's finally putting country before party loyalty as we are finally seeing PArliament carry out its function of working together and not against one another. A meeting in the middle aided by the expulsion of moderate Tories adds to the balance and ousts the extremist hijack of the referndum. Sure not everyon will be happy but that is exactly what is needed and could in turn start the healing of recent division as all unite behind their continued unhappiness but ultimately that is politics and the practicalities of a pluralist society.

Thereafter with Brexit put to bed we can have a GE to direct the course of our domestic issues which may well aid the mitigation of these issues that brought about the shambles of the last few years. We can only hope.

Side note: The whole removal of the backstop is in view of the pursuance of the hard line Brexiteer ideology which would allow them to renage and direct the UK to their more extreme ends. The backstop is a safety net for the protection of the UK and its people in as much as it is for Ireland and the EU.

10. dowie

Caporegime

Where on earth have I said only the Conservatives can fix this?

11. String

Capodecina

A VONC called by the government is absurd. How can you declare no confidence in your ability to govern and then with your very next breath, put forward your justification on why people should vote for you in a general election.

12. Moley

Mobster

It's obviously using a procedural technicality to get what you want. Like Labour abstaining last night in the GE vote - they want one, but not until they've tied up the no deal legislation and once that's done will support the GE vote. Playing the rules to get what you want. Funnily enough, something politicians are quite good at.

13. LOAM

Capodecina

Get BJ to extend then VONC after deadline and form coalition between opposition parties to get this shambles out of government.

14. Steampunk

Soldato

TBF, Labour did that last night so that Boris couldn't abuse the process to suspend Parliament while no-deal Brexit happens by default ie they blocked an abuse of the process. It would be nice if they all worked for the country instead of trying to trick each other by exploiting loopholes.

I don't think any government has voted itself out of office under a VONC so they can circumvent Parliament via an election. That's dishonest clown action right there.

15. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

This is entirely frivolous but I've just seen a picture of Boris with Benjamin Netanyahu and I would like to petition for a new position within Cabinet, 'Minister for making sure Boris ties his tie properly good God man you're the leader of the Country not an errant school boy'

It's a long title but I feel it captures the essence of the role.

16. Moley

Mobster

Yeah this a problem of hung parliaments unfortunately. With no working majority neither party can command the house and make things happen.

17. garnett

Mobster

His office could be next to the ministry of "And brush your bloody hair while you're at it"

18. squerble

Mobster

Once we get rid of FPTP things like this become somewhat easier.

19. Feek

Commissario

Please continue Brexit discussion here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.