Bristol Accent - Could it be any more annoying?

Transmission breaker
Don
In my job i often have to speak to a large office based in Bristol, and everytime i speak to them i have a terrible urge to squeeze their throats untill every last bit of breath has left their bodies.

Its so weird, no other accent bothers me one bit, infact i like talking to people with accents. However, the faint whiff of bristol and im a seething impatient wreck!

Anyone else get the same thing?!

Soldato
Not Bristol but....

I had to do some work in Dublin for a week a couple of years ago, by the end of it I found the Irish accent so utterly annoying that I really couldn't take anymore and was so pleased to come home.

This is probably even more surprising when you find out I'm a Geordie......hardly in a position to comment am I.

Soldato
that stupid glevum windows advert on the radio uses a bristol accent, as does the bristol carpet centre, safe to say i will never buy from them as i want to kill them all for making such crap adverts

Soldato
I find Northern Irish and strong cockney accents the most irritating, though I'll never forget the first time I spoke to someone from Stoke. I was asking for directions (to OcUK actually) and after I had wound the window back up I just thought WTF? :p

Soldato
I think women with a Bristolian accent sound great. Probably because (and this is going to sound really rude!) there's a hint of 'bumpkin' about it which suggests vulnerability. ;)

Scouse / Birmingham accents are awful.

Soldato
My Brizzle accent's faded a great deal since I've been living 30 odd miles outside, but my Mum Dad and Step Dad all have thick accents that I regularly ridicule. My accent has faded but the vocabulary's still there. :)

Asking a Manc - "Where's your toilet to?" gets a funny look.

Also "Oh ah" as if to say "I see." as an acknowledgement in a conversation.

Bristol's cool to me, but I guess it's because it's part of who I am. :)

Soldato
Malt_Vinegar said:
In my job i often have to speak to a large office based in Bristol, and everytime i speak to them i have a terrible urge to squeeze their throats untill every last bit of breath has left their bodies.

Its so weird, no other accent bothers me one bit, infact i like talking to people with accents. However, the faint whiff of bristol and im a seething impatient wreck!

Anyone else get the same thing?!

you mean "Brissle". i find taking several deep breaths while counting to 10 helps me calm down.

Soldato
Umm yes, Brummie is hellish, Scouse is far worse, Ni is horific, London accents are awful, essex accents just make you sound like a vacuous muppet.

I don't really have a bristol accent but have lived with it for 22 years and quite like it, it goes with the pace of life and the attitudes of many Bristolians, a bit dim but gentle and mostly nice, part of the reason there isn't another city in the Uk i'd rather live in.

Back
Top Bottom