British Airways - Massive IT Disruption Worldwide

Soldato
***EDIT*** - Two of us posted this at the same time, can a Mod combine them please?

Just seen this a breaking news so it looks like BA's com puter system has failed worldwide -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...irways-apologise-customers-facing-delays.html

but I've got to hand it to the Daily Fail - Great Headline about "hacking", but then "we don't know if it was a hack" in the actual body of the text :rolleyes:

01.jpg

Caporegime
The DM is a comic for the the unhinged but it still annoys me a touch that they can't string a narrative together without resorting to CAPS, quotes of dubious background, and endless twitters from anyone they can find which supports their argument.

Caporegime
Wish there press controls in this country, its not even about freedom anymore, its just trash.

no one should have to read/listen to trash.

Soldato
Just reporting that all fights from Gatwick and Heathrow scheduled to depart before 18:00 this evening have been cancelled.

My Mrs. has a flight out of Heathrow at 06:00 tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can sort their **** out before then and there are no massive backlogs.

I'm assuming they can't bump passengers off flights they've booked if previous flights have been cancelled?

Man of Honour
OP
Just reporting that all fights from Gatwick and Heathrow scheduled to depart before 18:00 this evening have been cancelled.

My Mrs. has a flight out of Heathrow at 06:00 tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can sort their **** out before then and there are no massive backlogs.

I'm assuming they can't bump passengers off flights they've booked if previous flights have been cancelled?

I don't believe they can bump folk, not without offering financial compensation anyway. Used to travel weekly and usually found myself getting onto my original flight (after another had been cancelled) without any problem.

Soldato
I don't believe they can bump folk, not without offering financial compensation anyway. Used to travel weekly and usually found myself getting onto my original flight (after another had been cancelled) without any problem.

Thanks, I thought that was the case. Hopefully they will have things back up and running soon.

Man of Honour
OP
If its specific to the company then it could affect BA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Vueling but I've not seen any mention of problems on those other airlines.
However its bound to be impacting a lot of customers who bought their ticket from someone else on code-share i.e bought a ticket from American Airlines but were actually due to be on a BA flight.

Capodecina
Soldato
British Airways has cancelled all flights from Heathrow and Gatwick until 18:00 BST because of computer problems (LINK).

I'm quite sure that it has nothing to do with a failure to patch their Windows systems or WannaCry but it does go to show how VERY dependent we are on IT.

Caporegime
Ba have said that it's not a hack.

Thierry new it system has gone down 6 times in its first year already.

My flights been cancled trying to figure out what to do.

Soldato
Looks like BA made a load of it's IT staff redundant when they outsourced some operations to Tata Consultancy Services TCS.
That figures, I worked for a telco who did a similar thing and the IT staff were awful, like seriously seriously bad and responsible for key and major external facing infrastructure.

The bean counters who award these type of companies the contracts are laughing, as they can show they have saved loads of money in the short term. The problems really only manifest themselves years down the line when servers haven't been patched and you'll usually find any 'IT transformation' people move fairly quickly before the effects of their 'transformation' are felt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom