British Gas Home Care - What's the service like?

Soldato
I'm thinking of going for the Home Care that they sell and I was wondering what people who have it think of their service or if anyone can suggest alternatives? I'm pretty much useless at the boiler/electronic repair they are offering so might be good for me.

Soldato
Dire.

My landlord pays them to sort out my house if we get problems. Before christmas (around the 17th December) we had a problem with our electrics, British Gas messed us about. My landlord ended up coming up from Leceister to fix it himself. He got a call back off of them on January 19th saying they could get an engineer round in the next few days to fix it!

Then a couple weeks ago we had another problem with our boiler, it stopped producing hot water. My landlord phoned up British Gas, they said they'd send an engineer out the next day. I was in the house, ready to answer the door when the doorbell rang the next day.

It got to about 11am and I'd looked in the front door for some reason. There was a card there saying the engineer had tried to call at 10am but no one was home. He hadnt even rang the door bell or knocked. My room is next to the front door so I would have heard him knock... We had to put in for another callout and he came a couple days later, eventually fixed it the following week when the parts came.

My landlord has said he wont be renewing the policy with them in the future.

Associate
i had a contract once

they came for the routine service that was included i had to get my own tools out to prevent him using pliers on the nut and pipe fittings, he had no allen keys

to top it all he left the boiler with a gas leak and a fume leak
needless to i was not impressed

Associate
pay £15 a month and we've had em for over a year now - had to call them out a few times for leaky rad etc and had no problems with them turning up or needing to borrow tools etc. No complaints at all - luck of the draw I expect :)

Commissario
We have them as well.

After the last service we were left with a gas leak where they hadn't sealed the boiler up properly/noticed that the seal had been damaged when they were taking it off the boiler.

It took about 3 days for them to fix it, as they didn't have the seal in stock and it took 2 days for them to get it and fit it.

I will however say the callout time was pretty good, we had them out first thing in the morning, almost as good as the electricity board when the mains cable into the house fried itself (called them at about 8am, had a team out by 11am who were busy most of the day)

Permabanned
Had them for about 3 years, increasingly impressed with them.
At the last boiler service they identified a slight leak at the gas meter via the shut off handle and it was replaced within 45 minutes.

Also had a major repair to the boiler a 3 way valve and a thermostat out of them ontop of the annual service. Very pleased.

Soldato
No complaints here either. Servicing must be ok, we havent needed a repair done :)

Werewolf! you been there too eh? the main fuse decided to incinerate itself recently, had them here within an hour and repaired less than an hour after that, and they upgraded it to 150A :D

Commissario
in our case it was the mains cable about 3 foot outside the house, and only about 12 inches down :eek:

It took about 4-5 hours for them to sort it out once the first guy arrived, by the end of the afternoon we had 5 of them in 2 minivans and a normal van pulling a mini digger that arrived as the hole was being filled in :) (the first guy was not massively amused at that;))

Quite disconcerting to have the whole house go dark at 4am, the silence woke me up :p

Associate
Took the Home Care service out when our boiler stopped working about 14 months ago, and as it was faulty when we joined the fee was higher than normal.

They were out 3 times (and a different engineer each time) before the boiler was sorted and the problem was diagnosed on the first visit but for some reason unknown to me they continually failed to order the parts. The only reason it got fixed the fourth time was because I stood over the engineer and demanded he order the parts (timer and pump) required to fix the boiler properly on their next visit while I was there.

Soldato
malfunkshun said:
Werewolf! you been there too eh? the main fuse decided to incinerate itself recently, had them here within an hour and repaired less than an hour after that, and they upgraded it to 150A :D

No REC fits 150A fuses to standard domestic services, for a start domestic consumer units are only rated at 100A

100A is a standard big domestic service these days, though many houses have 60A, 80A or even 40A :eek:

Soldato
Werewolf said:
We have them as well.

After the last service we were left with a gas leak where they hadn't sealed the boiler up properly/noticed that the seal had been damaged when they were taking it off the boiler.

It took about 3 days for them to fix it, as they didn't have the seal in stock and it took 2 days for them to get it and fit it.

I will however say the callout time was pretty good, we had them out first thing in the morning, almost as good as the electricity board when the mains cable into the house fried itself (called them at about 8am, had a team out by 11am who were busy most of the day)

We had the exact same today - had a new boiler fitted, they didn't seal it properly, got a leak and had to have Transco come out and sort it out and refit it properly. Scary stuff, the whole house could have blown up apparently :eek:

Soldato
Our neighbour called them out and they condemed her system and capped it. She had no heating/hot water for 2 weeks smack bang in the middle of winter.

Only person i know thats used them.

Suspended
**** tbh, took the care out with them for a house we have on rent to students. Had a problem with a radiator, called em, the enginer comes down an says the central heating isnt fit to be covered, we cant do anything till you pay us £250 to sort out the other problems we found. Thats absolute **** considering we had been paying them for months an they didnt send anyone round to check the heating before giving us the cover

Back
Top Bottom