Broadband

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
At which point the correct response is "There's no issue with my voice service." :)
Given you're with AOL, BT can't do anything for you, or OfCom would rip them a new one (and no doubt AOL would do plenty whinging too).
I see your point but they are saying that BT haven't updated the software that AOL use to conduct line checks. As for AOL it is still saying I can only get 512k =/

Soldato
lucasade1 said:
I see your point but they are saying that BT haven't updated the software that AOL use to conduct line checks. As for AOL it is still saying I can only get 512k =/
Or AOL haven't. No other ISP seems to have this problem.

Caporegime
lucasade1 said:
I see your point but they are saying that BT haven't updated the software that AOL use to conduct line checks.

Funny how no other ISP is having that issue, and it's still nothing to do with BT Retail.
Almost amusing recommending phoning another ISP though. Just a shame they don't generate and give out MAC keys when they do it...

Soldato
OP
csmager said:
Or AOL haven't. No other ISP seems to have this problem.
I don't think it's just AOL, all of the ISP's I have entered my phone number into say I can only get 512k.

This is what Eclipse say:

"We estimate that you get broadband with speeds upto 500Kbps"

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Soldato
OP
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or greater.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Caporegime
Sounds like a database error then - got stats (attenuation/SNR margin)?

Nothing to do with upgrading any software though.

Caporegime
Yup. What sync rate is that at (576/1152/2272 kbps)?

Either way, the checker should be offering 1Mbps, so you've got a database error. Wander here, and email Andrew with all the information asked for:

1. What ISP are you using and what speed is your connection according to the modem or router.
2. What make and model of modem or router are you using and what is your operating system / version of Windows.
3. What is your attenuation and SNR/noise margin both upstream and downstream. Read about this here and for help finding the data try Kitz's helpful page
4. If you have a bad connection repeat the test using the test socket found behind the BT NTE5 master socket, if you have one, as shown in this photo
5. What does the BT number checker say for your line.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
Yup. What sync rate is that at (576/1152/2272 kbps)?

Either way, the checker should be offering 1Mbps, so you've got a database error. Wander here, and email Andrew with all the information asked for:

Who is this Andrew bloke? Will he be able to update the database?

Caporegime
MrSaffron at ADSLguide, and yes, he can poke people at BTw to get it changed (though so could AOL if they had a clue).

Associate
lucasade1 said:
Hmmmm....

I've just got off the phone from AOL looking for a bit of confirmation and they can't offer me any idea as their system still says that I can only get 512k.
I'm in the same boat as according to AOL I can only get 1 Mb (under old BT rules) but even though I explained that using BT's estimator I may get 3 Mb or more using Max DSL, they say that their hands are tied and I will just have to wait.
It will probably be a fairly lengthy wait as I think that Platinum members are being upgraded first and that won't be until the end of June and as I am currently on Gold, it could be the end of July or August before I get upgraded :(

I have decided to migrate at the end of this month as I fell let down with their customer service and lack of information for it's members.

Associate
p.s. reference to above post, they have only recently said that I will have to wait for Max DSL as when I rang them around a month ago, they didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned Max DSL :rolleyes:

They gave me information on LLU though (something about a BETA trial) but said that not all exchanges are going to be upgraded as it depends on economical decisions whatever that meant - probably 'cherry picking the most profitable exchanges'?

As far as I know, AOL will be offering Max DSL to members whose exchanges are not going to be upgraded to LLU and LLU will be on offer to those members whose exchanges have been upgraded but just when this is going to happen is anyone's guess :confused:

Soldato
The checker still indicates you can get Max, it just says it estimates you can get 500k. In reality, once you get Max, the checker has no influence on what speed you will get.

I'd probably ignore it and ask for a regrade anyway.

Back
Top Bottom