Broadband

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The checker gives me the same result as you get, lucasade1. It tells me that i can only get 512k, due to the length of my line etc.

Eclipse regraded me to 1mbit IPstream with no issues at all, and its very very solid. I have just a few days ago ordered a regrade to max with no issues either.

Moral of the story - AOL dont have a clue.

Caporegime
lucasade1 said:
No reply yet from Andrew, anyone else used him and know how long it takes?

Probably more than 24 hours :p

BT have been singing from the same songsheet - saying "you won't get any improvement, so refused". :(

Soldato
OP
Jez said:
The checker gives me the same result as you get, lucasade1. It tells me that i can only get 512k, due to the length of my line etc.

Eclipse regraded me to 1mbit IPstream with no issues at all, and its very very solid. I have just a few days ago ordered a regrade to max with no issues either.

Moral of the story - AOL dont have a clue.
So you would recommend Eclipse? Is it just as easy as asking for a re-grade and then your connection is increased?

Associate
CurlyWhirly said:
I
It will probably be a fairly lengthy wait as I think that Platinum members are being upgraded first and that won't be until the end of June and as I am currently on Gold, it could be the end of July or August before I get upgraded :(

I have decided to migrate at the end of this month as I fell let down with their customer service and lack of information for it's members.

Jeez, thank god I'm with Zen and not AOL then.

I placed my MAX order with Zen on Thursday and was migrated on Monday... :)

Associate
Sadgeek said:
I placed my MAX order with Zen on Thursday and was migrated on Monday... :)
I shouldn't have to wait long then as I've just given Zen my MAC code a few hours ago after I received misleading information from customer support.

I can't wait for Max DSL :cool:

Soldato
OP
I think it's been updated:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or greater.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

I'm going to give AOL a ring tonight and see if they can upgrade me to 1Mbit, think this will be possible?

Associate
CurlyWhirly said:
I shouldn't have to wait long then as I've just given Zen my MAC code a few hours ago after I received misleading information from customer support.

I can't wait for Max DSL :cool:

Talking of misleading information, I was already with Zen and just migrated to their adslMax offering, not from another ISP. Sorry for the confusion.

I suspect you will have a slightly longer wait (I think it took 10 days for me to move from Plusnet), but it is worth it.

Soldato
Sadgeek said:
Talking of misleading information, I was already with Zen and just migrated to their adslMax offering, not from another ISP. Sorry for the confusion.

I suspect you will have a slightly longer wait (I think it took 10 days for me to move from Plusnet), but it is worth it.
By migrated, you mean regraded ;) :).

Soldato
OP
Just got off the phone from AOL, they are saying that I can't support 1Mbit because of the distance from the exchange, they say it would just keep disconnecting :mad:

Soldato
lucasade1 said:
Just got off the phone from AOL, they are saying that I can't support 1Mbit because of the distance from the exchange, they say it would just keep disconnecting :mad:
Just get a MAC key and go elsewhere. They're evidently muppets.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
lucasade1 said:

Just to let you know,

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or greater."

Thats the BT checker result, however i since moving here ive gone from 512k, to 1024k, and now just today got activated on max and my router has sync'ed at 3mbit. Speeds seem to be hovering around 270KB/s from newsgroups which is vastly more than i ever imagined this line would handle! :)

Soldato
OP
Sounds Great Jez, I'm going to move to eclipse I think...

Edit: just out of interest what option are you on?

Oh and do they support wireless?

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
lucasade1 said:
Sounds Great Jez, I'm going to move to eclipse I think...

Edit: just out of interest what option are you on?

Oh and do they support wireless?

Its not up to an ISP to support wireless, you just tack on whatever hardware you want. I am using a cisco 1700 with a separate linksys wireless access point. You can use whatever you like.

I am on the unlimited option 3, at £25 per month. I didnt bother with 4 as i only download at max about 50GB in a month and am going to see how this goes.

Soldato
OP
Jez said:
Its not up to an ISP to support wireless, you just tack on whatever hardware you want. I am using a cisco 1700 with a separate linksys wireless access point. You can use whatever you like.

I am on the unlimited option 3, at £25 per month. I didnt bother with 4 as i only download at max about 50GB in a month and am going to see how this goes.
I'm thinking of going with that option too. My phone number on their checker says 500k. I presume that when you place an order they do an ADSL max trial for a few days to see what you can get?

Soldato
lucasade1 said:
I'm thinking of going with that option too. My phone number on their checker says 500k. I presume that when you place an order they do an ADSL max trial for a few days to see what you can get?
On Max, your SNR gets pegged at 6dB at the start, and then you sync at whatever rate that brings. SNR/Interleave is adjusted to ensure stability over the first 10 days - or that's the idea, anyway. You'll almost certainly get more than 0.5Mb.

Soldato
OP
I have just tried to go through the process of buying from eclipse and when I choose to migrate they don't list AOL in the isp's. Do I have to cancel with AOL first and don't they issue MAC's?

Also i'm slightly concerned in the "Existing ADSL type" section as it says I can only migrate to a product equivalent to your existing one.

Would it be better to cancel with AOL and then do a fresh order with Eclipse? (wouldn't be an issue as we have 2 internet lines coming into the house).

Back
Top Bottom