broken s7 edge screen..any benefit of s8 over an s7

Caporegime
now have to buy a new phone as cost of screen repair is near new (second hand) phone.

ive heard s8 camera isnt much better and isnt as good as s7.
so is it a case of i may as well just get another s7?

i dont care about software etc only camera.

Soldato
The benefits to the all screen setup are nice for certain applications but if your handset has been treasured and this is the only thing that's gone wrong then maybe a new screen might be a better (better the devil you know?) while you're at it you might want to consider a replacement oem battery if you go this path, handset would be good for another 18m at least (assuming costs reasonable).

Soldato
now have to buy a new phone as cost of screen repair is near new (second hand) phone.

Nah, the rear camera's are basically the same hardware-wise but as far as photos and video go, the s8 handles shadows better and is generally more accurate whereas the s7 is a bit more saturated with some loss of shadow detail. That's what i found with my s8 vs the Mrs' S7, anyway. didnt really look at the front camera but i believe the s7 is wider which might be preferable.

Permabanned

i dont care about software etc only camera.

Oh, but what happened? A relatively small fall on the ground?
If so, these Samsung screens are extremely unreliable and the only sane advice is to get rid of the brand all together.

Look for something that won't break like thin ice after a soft touch.

Seriously.

Caporegime
OP
it was a waist height fall onto concrete. so acceptable.
im concerned damage could be beyond the screen. repair cost seems to sit at 200 minimum and new second hand is about 240. so by time sell old phone for spares not much difference really.

ill discount the s8 in that case, doesnt seem worth it.

Permabanned
it was a waist height fall onto concrete. so acceptable.
im concerned damage could be beyond the screen. repair cost seems to sit at 200 minimum and new second hand is about 240. so by time sell old phone for spares not much difference really.

ill discount the s8 in that case, doesnt seem worth it.

The screen material for the Samsung phones is one of the most fragile of any manufacturer. Maybe only Apple's iPhones are worse.
My old Sony fell several times and the screen was perfectly fine, only tiny scratches on the plastic bezels.

Associate
The screen material for the Samsung phones is one of the most fragile of any manufacturer. Maybe only Apple's iPhones are worse.
My old Sony fell several times and the screen was perfectly fine, only tiny scratches on the plastic bezels.

Totally opposite for me and colleagues at work. The last Sony I had cracked very easily, my old s7 fell from all kinds of heights in a similar case and was fine. My friend dropped his Sony from the bed side table and it cracked.

Caporegime
OP
i decided to go for another s7 in the end.
no reason except a slightly better camera for me so i decided to stick with the same model

Soldato
Totally opposite for me and colleagues at work. The last Sony I had cracked very easily, my old s7 fell from all kinds of heights in a similar case and was fine. My friend dropped his Sony from the bed side table and it cracked.

Same for me, I've dropped my s7 edge several times (including knocking it off the top of a tall fridge freezer onto a tiled floor) not a scratch on it, previously managed to drop my note 3 from chest height onto concrete with only a minor scratch to the bezel. I'll never buy another Samsung product, but it's nothing to do with their hardware or how resilient it is

Soldato
I think a lot of luck is involved when it comes to a smart phone surviving a drop. My friend dropped his Sony phone (Z5 I think) 2 days after getting it and the digitizer stopped working and back cracked. My 2 year old S7e only has a small scratch on the home button and has been dropped a couple of times.
IPhones seem to crack very easily but that might be because there are so many IPhones out there that the it makes sense you see cracked one's quite often.

A decent case obviously helps but even then I believe luck still plays a role on if it will survive a drop on concrete.

Soldato
Prior to the Pixel phones being released Samsung have always had great cameras on their phones and I think you should skip the S8 (not that it's a bad phone) and buy the S9 instead.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
OP, try rounded.com in future before you ditch repair options.

They will sell all the parts and even the tools you need to try a repair yourself.

I bought new battery contacts and half a strap for my gear 2 neo and thats about 4 years old.

Back
Top Bottom