Brown lifts ban on national flag

Soldato
Flags will fly from Downing Street all year round
The union flag is flying over Downing Street after Gordon Brown scrapped a rule saying it could be flown only on certain days of the year.

The prime minister said it will now be up to individual public offices when they fly Britain's national flag.

He said: "When I came into government I realised that you could only fly the flag on 18 days in the year and I thought that was wrong."

I must admit, I'm impressed. Brown is actually heading in the right direction for once! Perhaps he will rid this country of the whole "a minority is offended so ban it for everyone" culture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6276280.stm

Soldato
This is good but why was such a rule in place anyway?

I got visions of what the usa is like for a second when i heard it on the news.

Soldato
Radiation said:
I got visions of what the usa is like for a second when i heard it on the news.

That is just rabid nationalism tbh and quite sickening, I doubt we will go anywhere near that extent.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Do you find the sight of the Union flag sickening?
How do you go from a comment about US attitudes to its flag and its overt demonstrations of patriotism to such a leading question?

Caporegime
ya, i think that the US are a bit OTT when it comes to flag flying, nearly every bloody house has one somewhere on a flag pole! i think, yes, it's certainly good to be patriotic, but is flag waving such a necessity? i dunno.

Permabanned
Sleepy said:
How do you go from a comment about US attitudes to its flag and its overt demonstrations of patriotism to such a leading question?
I sense that he finds any displays of patriotism or nationalism to be sickening and I asked the question in order to confirm or dispel my suspicions :)

Permabanned
Whilst Browns actions are a step in the right direction, where I wish someone would make a stand, is in regard to displays of the English national flag. It is not racist to wear my countries flag on a lapel badge.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
I sense that he finds any displays of patriotism or nationalism to be sickening and I asked the question in order to confirm or dispel my suspicions :)

I sense that he finds over the top displays of patriotism or nationalism to be sickening.

Soldato
dirtydog said:

Some patriotism is good - but the type that they have in America is fanatical.

Associate
Nickg said:
ya, i think that the US are a bit OTT when it comes to flag flying, nearly every bloody house has one somewhere on a flag pole! i think, yes, it's certainly good to be patriotic, but is flag waving such a necessity? i dunno.
How many times have you been to America?

Soldato
Munky1080 said:
How many times have you been to America?

While that may have been an exaggeration from him, quite a lot of houses over there do have flagpoles attached to them or flags in the window.

Edit: I've been to America 5 times if you want to know how I know this.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Best he doesn't go to Cardiff then, my word are they keen to fly the dragon.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
@if ®afiq said:
What a silly thing to say. It is just a flag as are all others.

It isn't "just a flag" it is the flag of the nation that you happen to either belong to or live in. Surely you can see that some people see it as a symbol of their nation and are proud of such symbols?

I happen to like both the Union Flag and the English Flag, I think they should be flown more often and I think someone should be able to wear one as cufflinks, a lapel badge or even a t-shirt without accusations of racism or ultra nationalism. Last night of the proms sees a sea of Union Flags and I love it.

While you may believe it is "just a flag" please at least be aware that to some people it is very much more and maybe you should be a little less cavalier in your dismissal of it.

Associate
dirtydog said:
Do you find the sight of the Union flag sickening?
No, however, the Americans do go too far with their flag flying.

I mean, kids in school have to salute the flag every day.

Know who else did that?

School children in Nazi Germany.

That's too creepy for me.

That said, I don't see what's wrong with having anyone who wants to flying the flag. Although people who put those little England flags on cars look a bit silly ;)