BSOD Boot Loop - Help / Advice Please

Associate
Hey :)

Back in September I built a new computer, everything was working fine until we had an engineer from the electric company visit to do work on the main DB, I have no idea what he did but ever since then my computer just simply won’t work and I can’t figure it out.

I’ve taken all components off the MB and re-seated them, I’ve done a full clean windows install, I’ve tried multiple “help guides” from searching my problems on google, I just don’t seem to be making any headway.

The errors I’m currently getting are:- WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR // VIDEO TDR FAILURE // CRITICAL PROCESS DIED // VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR

The computer is using the following components:- AMD Ryzen 3900X // Aorus Master X570 // AsRock 5700 XT Taichi // G.Skill Trident Neo RAM // Corsair HX850i PSU // Sabrent Rocket PCIE 4.0 m.2 SSD // Sabrent Rocket m.2 SSD

I have no access to another computer or spare components to conduct any trial-and-error work. I’ve been on for days now and I’m pretty much at a point where if I don’t get a breakthrough the whole system will be going in the log burner...

Soldato
Try unplugging everything power related from its device. The power plug from the monitor, the plug from the power supply, the 8-pin and 24-pin ATX cables from the motherboard, PCIe cables from GPU, SATA power cables from drives. Take the motherboard battery out for 10 minutes, put it back in, connect everything up and pray.

Recently, someone shut off the mains in my house accidentally, then quickly turned it back on. The PC turned off and on again by itself when that happened, but the monitor wouldn't display no matter what. I took out the plug from the wall and tried other things, but it was only when I took out the plug from the monitor itself and put it back in again, that it worked. Some kind of electrical issue caused by the quick mains off/on.

Associate
OP
Try unplugging everything power related from its device. The power plug from the monitor, the plug from the power supply, the 8-pin and 24-pin ATX cables from the motherboard, PCIe cables from GPU, SATA power cables from drives. Take the motherboard battery out for 10 minutes, put it back in, connect everything up and pray.

Recently, someone shut off the mains in my house accidentally, then quickly turned it back on. The PC turned off and on again by itself when that happened, but the monitor wouldn't display no matter what. I took out the plug from the wall and tried other things, but it was only when I took out the plug from the monitor itself and put it back in again, that it worked. Some kind of electrical issue caused by the quick mains off/on.

I’ve had everything off the board but not the battery out, I’ll give this a try now but it will most likely take me a while to do this, I’ll update once complete

Associate
OP
So, all done, clean windows install as before but as soon as the GPU drivers try to install I’m back to the above issue. So at least I’ve possibly narrowed it down to the GPU causing the problem (knew I should have RMA my 2080 Ti)

Associate
OP
Probably borked the gpu's bios when the electrician flipped the mains electric switch

GPU is new, the 2080 Ti I had originally purchased (and was in the system when the electrician was on site has been returned for RMA - unrelated issue).

This build has been a total curse if I’m honest...

Associate
OP
Sounds to me like one of the rails on the PSU has failed or is failing

is there any way to check/test this or will I have to RMA the unit?

Tbh, in this situation, what am I best doing, should I return//RMA all components as I have no way of knowing if/which could be faulty as doing it one-by-one could take months? (Gigabyte took 29 days to reply to my support ticket for a faulty fan, rather than send a new fan they requested I RMA the entire unit... I just don’t get it, surely sending a £10 fan via £5 international postage must have been cheaper/easier than having me return a £1300 GPU that cost £70 via UPS (one way)?).

Soldato
You can check the voltage being supplied to the 6/8 -pin PCIE connectors with a DVM/MM.

Have you tried connecting the PSU PCIE cables to any of the other connectors on the PSU, you have 6 in total, so should try using a dedicated cable for each one that the graphics card requires.

Associate
OP
You can check the voltage being supplied to the 6/8 -pin PCIE connectors with a DVM/MM.

Have you tried connecting the PSU PCIE cables to any of the other connectors on the PSU, you have 6 in total, so should try using a dedicated cable for each one that the graphics card requires.

Unfortunately I don’t own a DVM or MM so wouldn’t be able to check it that way.

I haven’t tried using an alternative port on the PSU for the Cables so will give that a try in the morning. I’m currently using two dedicated cables for the GPU power.

Caporegime
Could be anything tbh,a powercut could corrupt any component inc the os

But youve done a fresh install so that rules the os out,shame you couldnt borrow a spare gpu and or psu to test with

When you did a cmos clear did you leave the battery out a good 10 ,to 15 minutes then try?

Might be worth complaining to electrician company/claim for damaged pc

Edit,the fact its saying video error suggests gpu or mb related,tried gpu in second pcie slot if you have one?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Could be anything tbh,a powercut could corrupt any component inc the os

But youve done a fresh install so that rules the os out,shame you couldnt borrow a spare gpu and or psu to test with

When you did a cmos clear did you leave the battery out a good 10 ,to 15 minutes then try?

Might be worth complaining to electrician company/claim for damaged pc

Edit,the fact its saying video error suggests gpu or mb related,tried gpu in second pcie slot if you have one?

I've swapped all the PSU cables out for new ones and changed the ports used. Also swapped the PCIE port for the GPU, so far (15 mins) I’ve had no further BSOD... fingers crossed

[EDIT] swapped back to the other port and the problem is back, so it’s definitely a fault with the top PCIE slot, now I guess it’s a decision of do I RMA the board or make do knowing that the PCIE is broken

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've swapped all the PSU cables out for new ones and changed the ports used. Also swapped the PCIE port for the GPU, so far (15 mins) I’ve had no further BSOD... fingers crossed

[EDIT] swapped back to the other port and the problem is back, so it’s definitely a fault with the top PCIE slot, now I guess it’s a decision of do I RMA the board or make do knowing that the PCIE is broken

Did you reflash the mb bios then swap back the gpu?

Back
Top Bottom