BT exchange syncing with Infinity

Associate
How does the exchange syncing work with Infinity? I'm pretty sure when testing different routers my SNR has gone up which has led to a lower download sync. How long do you typically have to wait for a sync to change?

Current stats: https://i.imgur.com/I1YHnRZ.png

I'm 99% sure I used to be over 75,000 sync on the download as I have the 80 package.

Caporegime
If you keep dropping sync (e.g. while swapping routers) the cabinet thinks you have a bad line and raises your target SnR margin, which loses you sync. If you leave it alone it will go back to normal.

Man of Honour
After BT did some work here it took about a month before it resync'd at a higher speed and stayed there. Went up in a couple of steps but seemed to take an age before it finally got up to the speeds it was supposed to be.

Soldato
You’re on a 6 dB SNR which is relatively stable. 9-12 dB would be a fairly unstable line.

You could potentially drop to 3 dB SNR if it can hold sync long enough. Then DLM will bump your profile and sync up with it.

But you need to leave the router on and don’t reboot it or anything. It can take a few weeks to sort itself.

Associate
OP
You’re on a 6 dB SNR which is relatively stable. 9-12 dB would be a fairly unstable line.

You could potentially drop to 3 dB SNR if it can hold sync long enough. Then DLM will bump your profile and sync up with it.

But you need to leave the router on and don’t reboot it or anything. It can take a few weeks to sort itself.

That's what I expected :(.

Think there is any use in contacting BT live support asking for an SNR reset or something?

Soldato
I wouldn't bother, sometimes cause more harm than good. Just leave DLM to sort itself.

If you don't see any change in a month from 6 dB margin, then maybe venture into the script monkey land.

Assuming your line is stable, if you see your DSL sync drop fairly often - then DLM is likely intentionally keeping you at 6 dB, as thinks your line would be too unstable @ 3 dB.

Caporegime
Are you testing different routers because you want to see if you can improve your sync rate, or are you trying different VPNs out etc.? If you buy a FTTC modem and leave this synced on the line you can swap any standard ethernet router behind it as much as you like, DLM doesn't know or care about dropping the PPPoE session.

Soldato
I've got a very similar line to you judging by the stats. 18db attenuation. There's no cable here so crosstalk will be reasonably high.

On BT I connected at 62/20 @ 6db with their Smart Hub - which rebooted every 14 days on it's own steam.

When I moved to EE the line reset and G.INP was removed it sync'd at 59/20 using their hub. Being on a Huawei cab, I installed a Zyxel VMG1312B-10A modem (with built in noise filter) next to the master socket, bought an Asus RT router and ran a Cat6 to it under the carpet. After about 6 weeks I noticed the sync dropping at around 2am in the morning, every 3 or 4 days. It was DLM reducing my SNR down from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3.

I'm now sync'd at 79/20 @ 3db SNR - interleaved. Current uptime 68 days.

Great thing about separates is any router firmware updates etc don't affect the DSL side.

My advice, find out what cabinet you are on. If it's an Huawei the HG612 or Zyxel VMG1312-B10A's perform very very well.

Draytek 130's people seem to rave about on ECI cabs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My advice, find out what cabinet you are on. If it's an Huawei the HG612 or Zyxel VMG1312-B10A's perform very very well.

Draytek 130's people seem to rave about on ECI cabs.

Is this a case of looking for the cabinet which will visually tell me or can I look it up somewhere?

Soldato
Associate
OP
They're getting on a bit now so you're best off looking at getting one from a well known auction site.

Make sure it's the B10A though.

I don't think they're particularly good as a wireless router so what router are you using currently?

None on that well known site atm but keeping my eyes open. I'm looking to possibly pair it with a Unifi Dream Machine.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Just want to make sure what cabinet I have before getting the HG612. I put my phone number into here: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Apparently I'm supplied by Cabinet 2.

Cabinet 2: https://i.imgur.com/OajGeua.png

Opposite side of road: https://i.imgur.com/4EUfEeW.png

This is ECI right? Kind of bummed out by this. The HG612 was like £18 and the Draytek 130 is like £60.

Yeah that's an ECI.

At a guess I'd have thought you're line hasn't been included in the G.INP trial rollout by BT on ECI lines yet as your sync is only a couple of Mbps lower than what mine was pre G.INP.

Whilst Lantiq chipset modems do perform well on ECI cabs, broadcoms also perform well.

If you're looking at a HG612, it needs to be an unlocked 3B.

TP-Link W9970's are another to look at.

People on Kitz with ECI cabs have said the Zyxels perform well for them.

You're probably not going to see a leap in sync until G.INP is activated though.

Back
Top Bottom