BT Fibre to the home on a new house qustions...

Soldato
Hello,

I'm moving into a new build house that luckily enough on this estate has BT fibre to the home.

I've seen the setup in another property on the estate that's finished (mines not ready to next year)

The fibre appears to come into the house to a small cupboard under the stairs. I can see a Huawei EchoLife HG8110H-20 GPON Terminal with a grey network hanging from it.

My question is when I order from BT do they send out another router like I've had in the past when on ADSL with my micro filter or is this Huawei box the router and do my devices connect to that ?

I'm thinking if there's another router that BT send out for my devices to connect to and its in this cupboard under the stairs next to the Huawei box will the wireless be terrible to my phone/tablet etc. Id rather have the router in the front room.

Hope that makes sense and someone can advise.

Thanks Ben

Soldato
OP
You get a router (Smart Hub) that connects to the GPON terminal via ethernet.

Thanks for reply.

So the Smart Hub will sit right next to the GPON which is in a cupboard under the stairs.

I'll have to get the network cabling for PC, Xbox, TV and Skybox wired back to the cupboard under the stairs.

Is there wireless any good on theses Smart Hubs ? worried being in a cupboard behind a shut door the wireless will be terrible ??

Guess its nice to have all the internet/router stuff out the way rather than next to the TV on show.

Soldato
When did you last use one? It's as good as the wireless from any single-box solution is going to be, in my experience.
I last used one 2 weeks ago, when I gave up with it and replaced with Unifi equipment.
Saying its the best 'all in one' product isnt exactly high praise given the relatively low standard set by all the firms making them.

Back
Top Bottom