DELETED_96987

Soldato
I've been having trouble with my internet connection being unstable (I have another thread about it). Whilst BT are working on some stuff I decided to try using my own modem and router, instead of their "Smart Hub". Specs of equipment etc below:

Provider - BT
Package - Halo 1 250MB FTTC
Modem - DrayTek Vigor 130
Router - Nighthawk XR500
Connection - ethernet

I have the Vigor130 set in bridge mode, that's the only setting I've changed as per this website link. This was difficult enough to do on its own. Even with my PC directly connected via ethernet to the modem the admin page kept dropping out continuously, very frustrating. Once bridge mode was activated I connected my XR500 and ran the setup wizard but it cannot connect an internet connection.

I've tried multiple factory resets and repeating steps etc. Not really sure what to try as it should be pretty plug and play. Anyone had similar issues with the same setup?

When you say “bridge mode” have you changed something on the modem? In your situation, the Vigor 130 comes correctly configured as a modem for BT out of the box, so just factory reset it and it will pass traffic to the Nighthawk.

Find the PPPOE menu in the Nighthawk and enter your details from BT, it’s usually something like [email protected] with a black password or BT as the password. And that should be it.

Soldato
OK, in that case then what I described should work. The Vigor 130 (assuming its the U.K. model) is in modem mode out of the box and will pass PPPOE to the router.

SelectSettings>Setup>InternetSetup. The Internet Setup page displays.
5. IntheDoesyourInternetconnectionrequirealogin?section,selecttheYesradio button. - Select YES
6. FromtheInternetServiceProvidermenu,selecttheencapsulationmethod:pPPoE, L2TP, or PPTP. - PPPoE
7. IntheLoginfield,entertheloginnamethatyourISPgaveyou. This login name is often an email address. -
[email protected]
8. InthePasswordfield,typethepasswordthatyouusetologintoyourInternet service. - Shouldn’t be important
9. IfyourISPrequiresaservicename,typeitintheServiceName(ifRequired)field. - not required
10. From the Connection Mode menu, select Always On, Dial on Demand, or Manually
Connect. - Always on
11. To change the number of minutes until the Internet login times out, in the Idle
Timeout (In minutes) field, type the number of minutes. - 0
12. Select an Internet IP Address radio button: - Get Dynamically from ISP
13. Select a Domain Name Server (DNS) Address radio button - Get Dynamically from ISP
14. Select a Router MAC Address radio button: Use Default Address
15. Click the Apply button. Your settings are saved.
16. Click the Test button to test your Internet connection.

if your Vigor 130 is set to default then that should work. In Bridge mode you need to enter your ISP details into the Vigor 130 and you’ll need to give either the Vigor 130 or the XR500 a new IP address because they both default to 182.168.1.1

Caporegime
Do a speed test when you have the BT kit in place. I'm convinced you have G.fast, that DrayTek modem won't work.

Caporegime
I think you're kind of screwed, standalone G.fast modems are disproportionately expensive at the moment. Openreach supply the Huawei MT992 when requested by the ISP and there's a couple on eBay. The Vigor 165 isn't a G.fast modem.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
He says that he has a 250mbit package in the opening post. (G.Fast only) That modem obviously does not support that. How did an entire thread of replies happen after this :p

Soldato
I'm a little confused with all this.

The Vigor 130 is an ADSL/VDSL modem only. However I can only assume if your getting 200Mbps from it, then you must be connecting into an open reach G.fast modem, and linking the G.fast modem and Vigor 130 via wan port, this is only explanation as it's whats happening.

However then for extra confusion, I don't see why you would require the XR500, as the Vigor 130 would be handling everything the router side.

Caporegime
Confusingly BT Wholesale class G.fast and VDSL as FTTC (https://www.btwholesale.com/products-and-services/data/broadband.html), even though Openreach differentiate between the two of them. So while G.fast is technically FTTC since a fibre cable goes to a cabinet, it's not VDSL which is what most people would assume when told FTTC. Clear as mud.

To sum up - OP has a G.fast connection supplied by BT, BT provide a Smart Hub that has an integrated G.fast modem, there won't have been an Openreach G.fast modem provided with the service, the BT Smart Hub doesn't support a bridge mode, third party G.fast modems are very expensive, and the DrayTek Vigor 130 isn't one.

Soldato
To sum up - OP has a G.fast connection supplied by BT, BT provide a Smart Hub that has an integrated G.fast modem, there won't have been an Openreach G.fast modem provided with the service, the BT Smart Hub doesn't support a bridge mode, third party G.fast modems are very expensive, and the DrayTek Vigor 130 isn't one.

I agree with everything you have written above, but how is the OP getting 200Mbps from the Vigor 130. He must have the Vigor connected to the Smart Hub via WAN port.

Back
Top Bottom