1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Strikeforce

Hitman

I was in the same position with a TalkTalk contract, but BT paid the termination fee, well they credited my account with the fee.

http://home.bt.com/-nbsp/switching-to-bt-broadband-has-never-been-easier-11363926763644

2. MissChief

Capodecina

Good luck anyone with an install booked any time soon.
    For new orders, from 06 January 2021, the appointment books will be pushed out to 1 March 2021 and beyond.

We will provide an escalation process to CPs in cases where the end customer has no existing broadband service or is receiving a service of less than 30Mbps.

For inflight orders, we will reschedule to March and beyond those orders where the customer has an existing broadband service, with Openreach, of 30Mbps or over

3. Wizzkidy

Wise Guy

I had an engineer booked in for my FTTP install for the 15th January which was booked back on December 18th

I assume this won't happen now but Zen has not contacted me yet to tell me otherwise :(

4. MagicUK

Hitman

ive just jumped to vodafone broadband from talk talk, in first 10 days so DLM adjusting but vodafone have no LLU hardware in the local excahnge and its def not as quick reliable as talk talk who do, should i be worried!? from £24 to £19 per month for savings.

5. WJA96

Capodecina

I wouldn't assume that. If they don't need to come into the house they will still do all the preparatory work outside. The Openreach people I interacted with in the first lockdown were pretty good at determining what was required to keep everyone safe and as long as you left doors/windows open and stayed well away from them, they ere happy to come into the house as well so it may not be as bad as it seems.

6. WJA96

Capodecina

There is usually a cooling off period so you may be able to go back if you're not happy.

What sort of speed/reliability(?) issues are you experiencing? FTTC is usually pretty vanilla these days.

7. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

Vodafone’s back end is probably the worst out of all U.K. FTTC ISPs at the moment. Mostly just to congestion.

Lots of complaints about it online.

8. Caged

Capodecina

£19/month is slightly below the cost price of buying the connections from Openreach, so I'm not surprised the service isn't great.

9. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Yup, I've heard a lot about Vodafone and congestion on FTTC. Their Gigaclear product doesn't seem to be affected though but that's something entirely different.

10. area51_for_psx

Wise Guy

I had my BT FTTP installed today. Some subcontractor of openreach installed it. Getting 920 down and 50up on speedtest.net

:)

11. the-evaluator

Mobster

50 up? That's not right, it should be around 100Mbps up.

I guess you're using the BT SmartHub 2 router? There's issues with some of them which result in a wrong profile getting loaded which in turn limits the upstream to 50Mbps. Have a look on the BT customer forums, there's a thread on there where people having that particular problem are getting it looked at nice and quickly.

12. area51_for_psx

Wise Guy

yeah ill leave it for a few days and then contact them if its not sorted it self. 3 guys here for 2hours got mine in (digging etc)

13. the-evaluator

Mobster

I don't think this is something that sorts itself.

14. MagicUK

Hitman

So by Samkmows my local exchange has no LLU hardware:

Telecom:
    Not available
    Entanet:
    Not available
    Fluency:
    Not available
    KC (Kingston):
    Not available
    Timico Partners:
    Not available
    Node4:
    Not available
    Orbital:
    Not available
    Origin Broadband:
    Not available
    Redcentric:
    Not available
    Rutland Telecom:
    Not available
    Sky:
    Enabled
    Spectrum:
    Not available
    TalkTalk (CPW):
    Enabled
    Vodafone:
    Not available
    WB Internet:
    Not available
    Zen Internet:
    Not available

It just seems less reactive. For example watching tv in a 720p tv this morning I noticed the quality was grainy ok for about a minute. Never had that with talk talk. Always HD. using my own vdsl router with same mesh setup.

ping is at 12ms but where as talk talk was 7 but assume my profile on my line is reset when you switch to a different provider. SNR ratio has jumped back up to default 6db so lost about 12mb on the down and 3mb on the up.

On stats everything looks be try similar but everything seems less snappy. Another think was downloading off usenet and my phone wouldn’t load at all even though I was obv saturating the connection. With talk talk I would download at 6.2mb but phone would still be snappy at loading basic stuff.

have def noticed a different in the quality of the line and I’m worried about the whole LLU think which I’m assume I would be on a BT wholesale contended pipe from the exchange.

15. Caged

Capodecina

Ignore the Samknows exchange listing, their data is massively out of date and LLU isn't relevant for anything other than ADSL

16. ChrisD.

Caporegime

It’s not the line between you and the exchange, it’s Vodafone’s core network.

17. MagicUK

Hitman

Ok so it’s the Vodafone core network that is contended. Il keep an eye but worry about trying to get out contract if it’s a crap service.

18. Caged

Capodecina

You have until the cooling off period to cancel, I would use it

19. MagicUK

Hitman

It’s definitely a noticeable different from my talk talk connection for the last 18 months. That thing has been bomb proof. There asking for £24 a month. Obv no TopCashback or Quidco so wondering if I should sim to see if they will drop to £20. Anyone got any price info I can negotiate with.

20. ChrisD.

Caporegime

There are other providers apart from Vodafone and TalkTalk!