BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
I wouldn't be looking at 4G if 40Mbps fibre was available, if I was going to try 4G then I'd want to combine it with FTTC anyway for the latency and the consistency, so you're going to need the FTTC service in any case.

Or get two FTTCs and load balance.

Man of Honour
After being on 60~ Mbps for about 6 years I am extremely delighted with my new Zen Fibre 900 service in my new house.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/a2f80e5f-e672-45bd-8887-090d7ae28bbc

Code:
Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Zzoomm - Henley-on-Thames (id = 28236)
        ISP: Zen Internet Ltd
    Latency:     9.47 ms   (0.17 ms jitter)
   Download:   911.82 Mbps (data used: 886.5 MB)                               
     Upload:   110.67 Mbps (data used: 55.2 MB)                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%

Soldato
April 2025 for my area in the southside of Glasgow, pathetic. So glad we're getting Hyperoptic to our development at some point in the future, another 4 years of 30Mbps sounds like torture.

Caporegime
April 2025 for my area in the southside of Glasgow, pathetic. So glad we're getting Hyperoptic to our development at some point in the future, another 4 years of 30Mbps sounds like torture.
I mean I’m not too bad with 80 on FTTC and if I ever leave Sky I have 500 available with Virgin but I’d rather stay with sky atm as I get a significant discount.

Soldato
I mean I’m not too bad with 80 on FTTC and if I ever leave Sky I have 500 available with Virgin but I’d rather stay with sky atm as I get a significant discount.

Frustratingly Virgin has been available to the tenement flats across the road for ages, but it's not available on this side of the street.

Soldato
Not even on the list.

Current house has 20-30mbps FTTC, which I shunned and went with 5G, with a 100-150mbps download speed. Moving house in 6 weeks, new place has no virgin, no FTTP, and probably no 5G... 36mbps guaranteed download it is then! Probably 50mbps in the real world. It's a private/unadopted road too, so even though virgin is in all the streets surrounding it, no chance of it coming down that road (renting the house).

Soldato
So it looks like toob has just built a shiny box in my estate, says FTTP should be available within a couple of months for £25/mo (!!). Of course this happens 3 weeks after I renewed with Vodafone for 2 years (£20/mo for 80/20 Mb/s) AND plan to move house next year! Grrr!

Soldato
So it looks like toob has just built a shiny box in my estate, says FTTP should be available within a couple of months for £25/mo (!!). Of course this happens 3 weeks after I renewed with Vodafone for 2 years (£20/mo for 80/20 Mb/s) AND plan to move house next year! Grrr!

BT may buy you out of your existing contract. Colleague had them do this....I discovered after I'd had my infinity installed :/

You need to speak to BT's sales people....

Man of Honour
I've got Fibre 900 with Zen, if I upload a large amount of data without any upload capping the whole internet drops and I get around 6/10 pings dropping to bbc.co.uk as an example. If I rate limit to around 100 Mbps it's perfect and no drops. I spoke to Zen and they said there's no line fault and upload saturation is a common issue on making lines drop. Just wondering if others on here with FTTP have experienced the same? It seems odd to me that the internet connection would effectively be destroyed by uploading files.

Soldato
It’s normal if you are saturating your upload then you don’t have any upload available to talk back to the download location (e.g a website).

You only need a tiny bit of bandwidth to not cripple your connection.

What are you uploading and how? Does your router have any settings that you can change to de-prioritise the type of upload traffic?

Soldato
Ah yes, the often forgotten principle that saturated uploads affects your downloads and internet as a whole. Can't tell you how many 'poor internet connections' of neighbours I've fixed by discovering their teenage kids have got torrent seed boxes at home!

Man of Honour
It’s normal if you are saturating your upload then you don’t have any upload available to talk back to the download location (e.g a website).

You only need a tiny bit of bandwidth to not cripple your connection.

What are you uploading and how? Does your router have any settings that you can change to de-prioritise the type of upload traffic?

I'm uploading to OneDrive from my NAS. If I did it on FTTC and didn't cap the upload, it wouldn't leave the connection useless. If I do a large upload and don't cap it now on FTTP the internet pretty much stops working. I've got a Unifi USG and I've capped it at 90% and it's fine but I thought it was odd behaviour.

Soldato
It's not odd behavior, it's absolutely as expected due to the way TCP/IP works where your computer (or whatever device you happen to be using) sends back a message that says "Yes, I got that data" to the remote server. If the upload is saturated then the acknowledgement doesn't get sent and your data gets retransmitted by the remote server.

What's odd is that you had no such issues with your FTTC connection.

Back
Top Bottom