BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
People's complaints with BT Retail are related to the support - though personally I have never had problems when I've needed to call them. Granted, I've never had complicated issues but the number of ISPs that staff their support lines with people who know what an SnR margin is can be counted on one hand, and come at a cost premium.

The actual BT product is brilliant, the network is rock solid. Routing is good, peering is good, latency is low. I'd have no issues recommending BT to anybody.

Soldato
So, after my area being 'in progress' for nearly two years and the postcode checker on the Fibre First website reporting it's 'coming soon', now the map thing seems to have disappeared and checking my postcode is now saying 'no plans to bring to your area'.

Should I be concerned about this? Are they likely to have changed their plans and decided not to do my particular road or something?

I'm still hanging off upgrading to VM gigglebit in the hope FTTP will arrive but I'm starting to think that, even if it does, it's going to be a while so maybe I should just go with VM for now.

Caporegime
Ok, my Unifi AP arrived, and the POE injector and cat6 cables should come later.

Just so I understand it:

Plug a cable from my Smart Hub to the POE injector
Plug a cable from the injector to the AP
Turn off the wifi on the Smart Hub
Set up the AP using the Unifi phone app

That all correct?

I want to test it all before mounting obviously.

Soldato
Ok, my Unifi AP arrived, and the POE injector and cat6 cables should come later.

Just so I understand it:

Plug a cable from my Smart Hub to the POE injector
Plug a cable from the injector to the AP
Turn off the wifi on the Smart Hub
Set up the AP using the Unifi phone app

That all correct?

I want to test it all before mounting obviously.

That's right. You don't need to immediately disable the WiFi on the hub though, you can do that once the unfi is up and running.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It looks like its on the way soon, checking the OR Fibre First site.

Code:
We're starting to build our ultra-fast, ultra-reliable Full Fibre broadband in your area.
Provide your details below, and we'll keep you up to date with how we're getting on and what this could mean for you and your property.

I can't see anything on the One Network yet.

Caporegime
That's right. You don't need to immediately disable the WiFi on the hub though, you can do that once the unfi is up and running.

EDIT - NVM, copying everything and turning off the wifi on the hub and everything works a treat :D

Ok everything is plugged in, and I am setting up the Unifi, is there any way to keep the same SSID and password so that all my existing devices connect without issue, or do I need to start from scratch?

Last edited:
Associate
Got my 900 service fitted today! Couldn't be any happier with the install.

Been running speed tests all day, need the pings to be lower though! :D

From

11691904373.png

To

11786568742.png

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hi team. Quick one, when I got my FTTP it was simply a case of ordering through the BT website, however my folks are moving to a new build at the weekend and it’s already set up for FTTP. That said, the address of the property doesn’t exist on any website yet.

They are currently with sky FTTC in their existing place. What’s the process here? Can they simply call sky and they will know what to do or is this one of those situations where they/I need to be a bit more clued up and have to steer the conversation?

I’m sure I’ve read in here similar situations about giving the serial number of the ONT or something.

Man of Honour
From memory there will be a serial number or similar on the ONT, pass this to the ISP and they should be able to activate it for their line.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Superb, thanks Chris, I'll give that a go when there this weekend (that's if Sky will allow them to move mid-contract, if at all).

Associate
My towns exchange was added to the rollout list back in May. The checker is still showing "At the moment, we don't have any plans to upgrade your area to full fibre". Does that just mean they haven't set any kind of date yet?

Soldato
People's complaints with BT Retail are related to the support - though personally I have never had problems when I've needed to call them. Granted, I've never had complicated issues but the number of ISPs that staff their support lines with people who know what an SnR margin is can be counted on one hand, and come at a cost premium.

The actual BT product is brilliant, the network is rock solid. Routing is good, peering is good, latency is low. I'd have no issues recommending BT to anybody.

Fully agree with this. The only issues I've heard people complain about relate to support issues and very rarely the odd engineer who's not that great (and those are usually Kelly subs or similar)!

As you say the OR network as a whole is very solid and reliable imo, compared to the likes of VM.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've just had the following update from OR for my area after emailing them asking for a schedule:

I’ve looked into your enquiry and the great news is that we will have some fantastic connectivity options for your home. I can see the equipment you’re connected to is getting an upgrade. This will give you the option of ordering fibre to the premises.

Our engineering work is due to start the beginning of January 2022 and will take several months to complete. I’m sorry we can’t give you a more specific date at this time but once the work is completed you’ll be able to place an order with your chosen service provider.

Caporegime
my exchange not on that list, probably because youfibre were in our estate laying their cables.

They are doing the same in my area. Came totally out of the blue as I was expecting at least another couple of years before I got Fttp but saw an advert on Facebook. Cannot wait. Guy came round to my house and said it will be an 8 week lead time. Have been stuck on 30mb BT for God knows how long. Cannot wait to have 1GB up and down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom