BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

V F

V F

Soldato
This is why people either need to be responsible enough to rate limit downloads/uploads or use QoS, a faster connection only masks the problem, it doesn't fix it.

To a degree but if you've got 3 people downloading or downloading and watching on a sub 30Mbps connection, you start seeing the performance hit. So somebody has to be sacrificed until it is done.

Soldato
Might be useful here. Was shopping around for a new mobile contract....BT mobile are currently doing a £5 a month discount on their 20gb sim-only contract, for BT broadband customers, bringing it down to £10 a month, which I don't think can be beaten atm.

Soldato
Might be useful here. Was shopping around for a new mobile contract....BT mobile are currently doing a £5 a month discount on their 20gb sim-only contract, for BT broadband customers, bringing it down to £10 a month, which I don't think can be beaten atm.

You've not really looked that hard, O2 15GB £8/m or £1.88/GB (vs your £2/GB) which isn't bad in it's own right, but it becomes 30GB if you're a VM & O2 customer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Also tried out Xbox Gamepass streaming as well. I'm all for cloud gaming now, there was no lag at all, but you really do need a fast line for it however. Finally can play some old xbox games and a fair few 360 games I never could before due to never having the console.

Exactly what I've thought as well - FTTP makes a huge difference to cloud gaming. Xbox is still a bit flakey in that it looks really compressed at times but that must be the set up on their end. PS Now is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. I expect Google Stadia at 4K to be incredible (haven't tried it yet).

Soldato
Just had it installed this morning, had to hard reset the Asus AX11000 though as it was only pulling 500mbit on the 900mbit line.

Once that was done and it checked internet again with it's auto thing, got full speed. But that depends on route through the UK as it's not that great from server to server. Some speed test servers max out at 500, only one got to 900 and that was in Manchester.

Speeds are around 840mbits to 920mbits with the occasional blip up to 970mbits briefly.

BT 900mbit service.

After being on 34mb vdsl connection, seeing a 25gb game patch download within a minute or two than hours is so nice again. Used ot be on cable back in 2000s so happy with the product. The ONT is tiny, seems to be the new reduced but cheaper for openreach to use now.

Ive recently had an issue with this router and losing just under 200mbits of the connection over night, nothing would fix it except re setting the firmware to factory defaults again and setting it up again. Very odd behaviour.

Soldato
You've not really looked that hard, O2 15GB £8/m or £1.88/GB (vs your £2/GB) which isn't bad in it's own right, but it becomes 30GB if you're a VM & O2 customer.

Should have specified....network coverage is #1 priority for me, so EE or an EE MVNO is the only option, none of the other networks can touch them for coverage in remote areas.

Associate
A bit off topic I am not a Openreach customer (VM) but I was wondering if their is any issue cutting the cable for Openreach on my house. Other than that it isn't my cable etc...

I need the cable removed or even just moved before my gas people come on Thursday to install the meter box on the wall where the cable runs down into my home. I reached out to Openreach but still haven't heard anything.

Soldato
A bit off topic I am not a Openreach customer (VM) but I was wondering if their is any issue cutting the cable for Openreach on my house. Other than that it isn't my cable etc...

I need the cable removed or even just moved before my gas people come on Thursday to install the meter box on the wall where the cable runs down into my home. I reached out to Openreach but still haven't heard anything.

Technically no you are not allowed to touch it. I would advise you relocate it rather than straight up cut it to avoid any possible issues.

Soldato
last one i seen was £49.99 24mth contract with 12 months Xbox gamepass
48wpz3x

Capture.jpg

DHR

DHR

Soldato
This is why people either need to be responsible enough to rate limit downloads/uploads or use QoS, a faster connection only masks the problem, it doesn't fix it.

I get where you're coming from, but at the same time if the ISP are providing kit to allow connectivity to services they're being paid to provide, they should ensure that the kit can handle it imo.

The SH2 just can't handle 500mb/80mb from my experience shared amongst devices, the fastest one essentially wins and takes the rest offline, hence the reason for a third party router being needed, but then, you lose digital voice unless you have both devices on. It must be causing them and Openreach a bucket load of unnecessary support.

I understand there is a SH3 in the works, whether they add anything worthwhile into that or not is another matter, it'll probably be the same old feature set with faster wireless, again, masking the problem.

You have to appreciate 90%+ of users of their service won't even know what qos is in most cases.

Associate
Upgraded to sky 500 back in September and it said it was a 18 month contract but according to my account I’m out off contract in January which was my original end date for my old contract. Might be able to negotiate cheeky discount or move to bt and claim the £140 cash back if they have messed up by not changing my contract.

Back
Top Bottom