BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
I think it's because they have/had problems with their internal network bandwidth (insufficient amounts). I think it was @ChrisD. who mentioned something about it.
I have seen reports on various forums which suggest that Sky delayed their FTTP rollout due to internal capacity issues. That may or may not be true, whether it is or not and whether it is the reason they aren't selling 900 Mbps is anyones guess until someone internal at Sky confirms... which I doubt will happen. So until then I guess it's purely speculation.

Caporegime
I think Sky just see their internet packages as an add-on to their TV service, so as long as they offer something good enough then they're happy. I'd be interested to see the percentage of support calls made to someone like Virgin Media by people who can't get Speedtest to run at 1Gbps over Wi-Fi, whereas hitting 400Mbps on Wi-Fi 5 on a 500Mbps FTTP service probably wouldn't have you picking the phone up.

Soldato
Well, what a disaster today has been.

Openreach engineer turned up only to find that he needed to install additional ducting to run the fibre from the path, through my garden to the house. The problem apparently was that the previous ducting went as far as upto a street light in front of my new house and the engineer was not happy to dig there without knowing what other lines possibly might be in the pathway. So off he went few ohone calls with someone and a lot of chin scratching.

Basically he comes back and says because the job will require additional ducting this needs to go back to BT to approve the additional cost, and im prob looking at another few week delay. Needless to say im not amused, especially considering the order tracker says there was a previous survey visit to the property which gave the all clear for the install.

Luckily i still have 3 weeks left on my tenancy at my apartment so i still have internet access here but assuming openreach dont get their work done by the 20th then im moving into the new house internet or not.

Soldato
Well, what a disaster today has been.

Openreach engineer turned up only to find that he needed to install additional ducting to run the fibre from the path, through my garden to the house. The problem apparently was that the previous ducting went as far as upto a street light in front of my new house and the engineer was not happy to dig there without knowing what other lines possibly might be in the pathway. So off he went few ohone calls with someone and a lot of chin scratching.

Basically he comes back and says because the job will require additional ducting this needs to go back to BT to approve the additional cost, and im prob looking at another few week delay. Needless to say im not amused, especially considering the order tracker says there was a previous survey visit to the property which gave the all clear for the install.

Luckily i still have 3 weeks left on my tenancy at my apartment so i still have internet access here but assuming openreach dont get their work done by the 20th then im moving into the new house internet or not.

What ISP are you going with? BT offer 4G/5G fallback on some packages, could be worth looking into?

Soldato
My parents had a similar problem with their install. It was all booked and when Openreach turned up they discovered that the copper cable is direct buried, so no ducting from the street to their house. After many hours on hold to BT without evne getting to speak to someone I gave up and tweeted them. Within a couple of days a small duct was very neatly dug in around their front garden.

Shortly after that the fibre was blown through and finally a visit to install the CSP & ONT.

If you don't have internet at the place at all then BT will generally provision VDSL as an interim if you ask them.

Soldato
Annoyingly had to request an engineer visit, the FTTP line has come loose right near where it attaches to the house and is flapping around like crazy banging into the window. No chance I'm getting any sleep tonight if this wind keeps up.
Won't be out to fix it until at the latest Wednesday.

Man of Honour
Anyone got any tips on persuading Openreach to extend the FTTP that runs along the lane at the bottom of our lane up to our house?

Just because our postcode changes on our lane compared to the one along the end the checker won't show it as available.

All the telephone lines run from the same poles along the main lane and then branch up our lane. But when I approached OpenReach they were like "I can see that you were in a plan to bring fibre to the premises (FTTP) broadband to your area but the plan has now been cancelled." and promptly closed my case.

Picture to give you an idea of the layout
fttp-biffa.png

Caporegime
The "no FTTP" house at the bottom-right should be able to order as they are fed off the same pole as the FTTP-enabled properties, they need to fill in the "my neighbours can order FTTP but I can't" form on the Openreach website.

For the rest of you it looks like your cables go underground from the pole in the road as the only overhead is the power.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the feedback.

Hmm, but the telephone cables are supplied by the power poles on our lane to our house.

Last edited:
Associate
Still waiting on fttp. Half my street got it over a year ago but it looks like they are on a different exchange. At the start of this year openreach said they were doing surveys which would take 3 to 6 months. Since then they've provided two 3 month windows for when it should be complete by. I'll be in touch in the new year and probably get another 3 month window.
I don't desperately need it as the fttc is solid here, it would just be nice to get it.

Associate
Zzoomm are currently digging up the roads in my area and laying down fibre cable. I am assuming that once the cabling is all down, that the cable is theirs, so you are tied into them as opposed to any old provider if you wait for BT Openreach to lay down cabling?

If Zzoomm are now in the area, would I likely be right in the assumption that Openreach are more likely to go for the low hanging fruit and prioritise other areas with no FTTP as opposed to areas where Virgin / Cityfibre / Zzoomm already are?

Caporegime
Openreach are too large to be reacting to small players enabling little pockets of houses. They are building to ~300k houses each month and deployments will have been planned years in advance.

You will get FTTP from Openreach because pretty much everywhere is going to be enabled, but the amount of time this takes won't be affected by another provider being there.

People who post here aren't your average user. Zzoomm packages start at £29 for 150Mbps symmetric, for a lot of people the option of paying Vodafone £20 a month for 40Mbps FTTC is preferable to them, so the presence of what we might all see as a superior service doesn't necessarily mean that Openreach wouldn't still be able to make money from a certain area. Maybe people want to stay with Sky because they supply their TV, maybe they think BT are the best provider, maybe they want a landline which Zzoomm don't seem to offer.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you @Caged - I am very happy with our FTTC via Zen Internet, as it is we have a few months left on the contract - but the promise of FASTER is tempting! By the sounds of it we may well end up in a luxurious position of choice, as Trooli were also touting for customers in the area recently.

Caporegime
It's a 12-month contract so I wouldn't be sitting around waiting to see if something else comes along. Order Zzoomm when it's available, if another network builds then you have options after the 12 months is up.

Back
Top Bottom