BT Infinity. , worth a punt ?

There are ISPs other than BT selling it now, like Zen and AAISP.

They're still using the same BT Wholesale 21CN infrastructure as for ADSL2+ so you're not going to get unlimited transfers for £5 but neither of those ISPs shape.

That's what's putting me off... is it only BT that can offer this service or will the LLU people be able to lease it to increase their speeds?

"LLU" as we know it won't be available for a while. Check out IDNet & Zen.

I still dont know wether to get this as with BE i am paying £17.88 a month for 11mb/1.5mb upload whereas with this it will be £24.99 a month and probably 30mb+/10mb or near that however the customer service puts me off.

What does people here think? it's been bugging me a lot and i can't see BE going to fibre for a while if ever.:(

I still dont know wether to get this as with BE i am paying £17.88 a month for 11mb/1.5mb upload whereas with this it will be £24.99 a month and probably 30mb+/10mb or near that however the customer service puts me off.

What does people here think? it's been bugging me a lot and i can't see BE going to fibre for a while if ever.:(

I would stay with BE. It's not going to be greatly increased and the CAP takes away the advantage of using the 10mb upload.

Depends what you use it for? If you were on 2-4mb up and 0.5mb up then yes but your speeds seem good enough for most peoples needs.

I can vouch for this, downloaded well over 100gb last month on the infinity service and no email so the 300 gb fup is active

This does make it more appealing. I am glad they have upped it as 100gb is just a joke for 40d/l and 10u/l

Would be interesting to hear what gamers think. A lot of gaming is P2P and would like to get towards the end of the month and get punished for going over.

I have to wait until March before it's in my area. Hopefully BE have a service with it by then ;)

Just realised our exchange is enabled for BT infinity which is quite amazing considering our location is on border of Wakefield and Leeds and the coverage is pretty small.

On O2 I get phone and broadband for £20 a month (£7.50 broadband). My contract is up December 2010 and I know O2 have already put the prices up. I get 6mb down and 1mb up.

Checking out BT on their 40gb usage package phone and broadband costs about £28 a month, the speed check was 16mb down and 7mb up although read this thread about conservative figures. Cab is about 25 metres away. So not bad plus I think its £25 startup fee. Notice BT send out an engineer for free and also install new extension cabling for free if required.

Just looked at Zen and it mention £75 activation fee !

So I am toying with the BT Infinity idea, just wondering whether its worth it now and pay off O2 or wait till end of year.

Last edited:
I would wait. But it depends how badly you want it. I could imagine it gets a bit slow for them to do the work over christmas with peoples switch off mode on at that time of year.

When you contract ends with O2 you can just stay on your current deal and you wont be subject to any of the contract changes that they recently made. Mine ran out in August and I am still paying £7.50 per month.

Also on BE here which offer excellent service.

Even though BT Infinity looks good, I don't think I'd want to deal with BT again.

Bandwidth throttling, capped connection and 10+ minutes waiting on the phone just to be put on hold again after being redirected to a wrong department...

Think I'll avoid BT for now.

I read today that Ofcom has ordered BT to make its fibre cabling available to other ISPs.

Ofcom has today ordered BT to open up its fibre-optic network to competing broadband providers to help drive forward the rollout of high-speed internet services in the UK.

In a statement, the media regulator noted that more customers are now enjoying the benefits of superfast broadband, but there is a "long way to go to deliver the networks of the future that the UK needs".

To drive forward development, Ofcom has told BT to allow service providers such as TalkTalk and Sky to access its fibre network via dedicated virtual links, a process known as virtual unbundling.

The move will enable rival firms to control the fibre lines operated by BT for providing super-fast broadband services to their own customers.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a280910/ofcom-orders-bt-to-share-fibre-network.html

As yet, only TalkTalk have committed to providing a service on BT's fibre network.

Actually this is great news for me, I have a 24month contract with TT (that I'm enjoying greatly), and would love to move to TT's new fibre offering when it comes - I'd rather stay with TT than switch to BT, who are awful :/

I was on BT Broadband getting just under 3Mb, speed checker estimated 19/9 for Infinity which went in on monday. Still in the training period so the speed may rise or fall, hopefully not by too much.

Before - BT Total Broadband Option 3:
fyeck8.png
2m3iov8.png

After - BT Infinity Option 2:
1rrnrl.png
ax0hkx.png

The engineers gadget estimated the run back to the cabinet to be 300 meters, it's about 200 meters as the crow flies so that sounds about right.

Only 4 days into the training period so too early to comment on shapping, but, so far speeds are still up there and have been consistent through the day. Pings haven't gone up either, fingers crossed they stay that way.

It's mental how fast stuff downloads, tricky to find a server fast enough to saturate the connection mind. For us it means we don't have to take it in turns to do anything bandwidth heavy or latency dependant.

Idealy I would have gone with a fiber provider that didn't traffic shape and would be happy to pay a bit extra for it, there aren't any available here at the moment though. Hopefully the traffic shaping will not be a problem, if it is then by the time the 18 month contract is up we might have more options.

The only real negative at the moment is torrent upload speed, it's capped at 130KB/s permenantly. I don't upload torrents very often but when I do it would be nice to have use of the full ~1000KB/s.

All in all happy so far but it's early days yet. If your currently with BE I'd say stay put for now, it really all depends on how much an unshapped connection is worth to you and how much shapping Infinity gets thrust upon it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom