BT Internet Email Users Please.

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just in the process of bringing a mate into the 21st Century with broadband and XP :D

He’s got a BT Internet email account that he uses with his old BT dialup connection, but we’d like to use it on his new ADSL24 connection. Is that possible? I thought I’d ask before I start fiddling in Outlook Express’s account settings :(

I know it’s possible to do this with some ISP’s, because I can receive my Virgin emails through my UKFSN connection.

So what’s the score with BT :)

Cheers,

SW.

Soldato
These are the settings that I use for BT Iinternet email (had the account as PAYG well before BT Broadband or BT Yahoo existed):

POP3: mail.btinternet.com
SMTP: mail.btinternet.com

The outgoing server also requires authentication (tick box under the email account settings in Outlook).

As far as I know, using a different ISP email might require you to use the ISP's SMTP server for sending but the email provider's POP3 server for receiving.

I'm sure somebody else might be able to help confirm or deny this.

Soldato
Zico said:
These are the settings that I use for BT Iinternet email (had the account as PAYG well before BT Broadband or BT Yahoo existed):

POP3: mail.btinternet.com
SMTP: mail.btinternet.com

The outgoing server also requires authentication (tick box under the email account settings in Outlook).

As far as I know, using a different ISP email might require you to use the ISP's SMTP server for sending but the email provider's POP3 server for receiving.

I'm sure somebody else might be able to help confirm or deny this.

I have just moved from BT to ADSL24 and I want to keep my BT email address. I was told to downgrade my account to PAYG to keep the email addresses active.
I think you could be right you will need to use you're ISP's SMTP server for sending, but the email providers POP3 for recieving, but if you go for BT Premium Mail which is £1.50 a month, you get around that.

Soldato
OP
Okay guys, I just checked on ADSL’s site and the basic account setup information is provided.

The outgoing server is mail.username.adsl24.co.uk – does that mean I simply remove the username bit? So I just use mail.adsl.co.uk but use the BT username and password?

Cheers,

SW.

Soldato
sam.wheale said:
Okay guys, I just checked on ADSL’s site and the basic account setup information is provided.

The outgoing server is mail.username.adsl24.co.uk – does that mean I simply remove the username bit? So I just use mail.adsl.co.uk but use the BT username and password?

Cheers,

SW.

I think you will need to use the username given by ADSL24.
Has you're friend been connected with ADSL24 yet?
If so, he should have his own username.
So it will be mail.hisusername.adsl24.co.uk

You're friend should have had emails explaining all of this from ADSL24, with all of his email settings, usernames, etc.

I am not 100% sure about this though, probably best to ask on the ADSL24 forum.

Soldato
OP
If he wishes to send via our mail server, mail.adsl24.co.uk, then he will need to turn on SMTP authentication and enter his ADSL24 username/password. This will then allow him to send through our mail server on his BT e-mail account.
Just had that back from ADSL24 - great service, and I'm not even a customer :)

SW.

Back
Top Bottom