BT master socket extension or move?

Associate
IMG_7090.jpg

Hi,

we upgraded to sky fibre bb last year, Open Reach came to the house to test the socket after they switched supply at the cabinet. This is the way that they left the BT master socket(see image). It was behind a wardrobe in an upstairs bedroom so wasn’t a big deal that it was messy.

we are now re-decorating and I want to move the router downstairs. What are my best options please?
Aside from calling Open Reach out to move the socket, Can I just run a long data cable from the socket to the new router location?
Estimated distance will be 12metres, will that affect speed?

thanks for your time

Associate
OP
IMG_7090.jpg
Dropbox link not working for some reason.

essentially, Open Reach removed the face plate and plugged a splitter into the test socket. The splitter has two sockets, 1 for phone and 1 for data.

Soldato
Hard to believe that Openreach left a master socket in that state (Kelly Communications maybe?).

If that was mine I'd...

Buy a current generation master socket with a filtered faceplate to replace what's there at the moment. Not strictly legit, but it's only two wires to connect on their side.

Use the data extension terminals that will then be available to run a hard-wired extension to where you want it. CW1308 or Cat5e/Cat6 for the cable and an RJ11/12 or RJ45 faceplate (for the pedants I'm aware that they're cabling standards not socket types, but everyone knows what I mean).

12 metres of good twisted pair cable will make no noticeable difference to the available sync speed. If it does it's user error.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hard to believe that Openreach left a master socket in that state (Kelly Communications maybe?).

If that was mine I'd...

Buy a current generation master socket with a filtered faceplate to replace what's there at the moment. Not strictly legit, but it's only two wires to connect on their side.

Use the data extension terminals that will then be available to run a hard-wired extension to where you want it. CW1308 or Cat5e/Cat6 for the cable and an RJ11/12 or RJ45 faceplate (for the pedants I'm aware that they're cabling standards not socket types, but everyone knows what I mean).

12 metres of good twisted pair cable will make to noticeable difference to the available sync speed. If it does it's user error.
The socket has been there for 15 years+ judging by the logo. They dropped the piper logo in 2003.

Associate
OP

If that was mine I'd...

12 metres of good twisted pair cable will make no noticeable difference to the available sync speed. If it does it's user error.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it was definitely openreach, as they had some difficulty getting a strong data signal and made several trips back to the cabinet to sort it out. To be fair to them, the socket was awkward to reach (behind a heavy immovable wardrobe).

I like the solution you have offered, am I correct that I the following will work?
1) Disconnect the incoming orange and black wires.
2) Remove and discard the current master socket.
3) Fit the latest generation Master socket, connecting the incoming orange and black wires to the A & B terminals.
4) Run an extension cable from the extension terminals (12m).
5) Wire extension cable into additional faceplate/socket.
6) Connect Router and telephone line to the additional faceplate.

When disconnecting/re-connecting the incoming orange and black wires, am I likely to trip anything at the cabinet? With the current lockdown and home schooling etc, I wouldn't want to be without internet until Openreach can repair.

I am currently getting 70mb download speed, am I likely to experience any loss by extending from the master socket?

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom