BT phone scam

Associate
Had an email warning about the BT phone scam, just thought I would pass it on ;)

THE NEW TELEPHONE 'SCAM' HAS ARRIVED.

I received a call from a 'representative' of BT,
informing me that he was dis-connecting me because of an
unpaid bill. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 , or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date.

The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with
Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for
line rental!

I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number - 0800 0800 152.

Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his
story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I
asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning
someone - he would dis-connect my phone to prevent this.
AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again.

Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then.

I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT.

He hung up.

Dialed 1471 & phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not
recognized.

I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating.

Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please maket as many friends & family aware of this.

----------------------

Real con job, don't get caught

This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back. You could almost be convinced! The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool the elderly and vulnerable.
By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number so that it can be used for far larger purchases.

Permabanned
Pretty sure this has been around for ages, in fact I'm fairly certain there was somebody who posted on here ages ago about how they fell for the scam.

Soldato
Moral of the story, don't give money to coloured types unless you've got proof they're legit.

Apparently quite a few people have already fallen for it.

Well then they are, as I said above, ****ing idiots.

e-mails like this always float about, sent by idiots to other idiots and perpetuated. It's probably not even true, the majority of them aren't.

Man of Honour
Obviously a scam and I guessed the 'cut off' trick. But thanks for the head-up.

Did you ask for a photo of him with a loaf of bread on his head?

EDIT: Just realised it's an email. Thought you'd had the call yourself.

Caporegime
It's an old scam but I don't suppose that makes those who fall for it feel any better.

edit : oh, is it not actually a scam, then? I'm sure I remember someone posting this ont hese forums a year or maybe longer ago. :confused:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
the phone doesnt go off because he's made the call to you, he'll be there till he hangs up. works like that on any land line to land line call.

Man of Honour
In theory - tho I've not tried it in awhile - you should be able to hold the recall button for a second on your phone then hang up, it should initiate a reverse clear (phone may ring for a moment).

Man of Honour
I had reason to test the recall thing today funnily enough when someone accidentally called the housephone from their mobile while it was in their pocket... it does work :)

Soldato
Pretty sure this has been around for ages, in fact I'm fairly certain there was somebody who posted on here ages ago about how they fell for the scam.
It was me.

[TW]Fox;14928242 said:
Nobody has fallen for it because it is yet another urban legend chain mail.

No its not it happened to a friend of mine and they completely cleaned out his bank account. He got all the money back in the end but it caused him no end of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom