BT Smarthub and Synology NAS

Associate
Dear All

I have been struggling with the connection between my Synology DS215j and my BT Smart Hub for 6 months now (as well as my Nest Thermostat - although I think its the same issues)

I can link to the NAS when I am on the wifi network but I can't log in when I am away from home and I can't get the NAS to connect to the outside world i.e. updates, Synology Download Manager (which is a great feature) Synology Cloud Share (also great) Plex

Previously when I was with Virgin it all worked really well - I have considered going back to Virgin but I really like the BT TV, I have moved our mobiles to BT and I don't really want to go through the hassle of changing again.

Despite trying all the recomendations etc, opening ports etc etc I have not been able to resolve therefore I wanted to ask advice on the following:

1. What 2 Bay NAS will work with the BT Smart Hub straight out of the box ('ish) and will allow me to run it as a Plex Server - this is what I used to have when I was with Virgin
  2. Is it a better option to go and buy a new Router?
  3. If so which one? (it needs to support BT TV)
I am quite happy to spend the money to fix the problem - just don't want to buy a new NAS from a different supplier (Qnap etc) only to find the same problem - also I don't want to go buy a new Router and find I have BT TV.

Thanks in advance for any / all help and advice

Steve

Man of Honour
Sounds like UPnP isn't working correctly, is there a setting for it in the smart hub? Might be in the firewall or security pages. Quick Google should help.

Associate
OP
Yes there are settings for this however played around with them / followed google guides etc and still no joy.

Synology have an excellent little program called EZinternet that is supposed to set up the router for you however its clear that it doesn't work with the BT Smarthubs

Steve

Associate
OP
Hi - the asus ac3100 looks good but is pretty pricey - any cheaper options that I could use to replace my BT Smarthub and still get BT TV?

In terms of the Plex Server its the same situation with / without the plex server running

Associate
OP
I think I might have fixed it!!!!!

I did another Google search and found a comment about checking the Default Gateway (and that this needs to be the Routers address) In my case it appeared to be taking the address from a VPN that I had set up (Torguard)

Changed this and now it seems to be sorted and more stable - it certainly now appears to suit Plex and for once I have Remote Access to Plex

Fingers crossed - it stays on and stops causing me a problem

Steve

Back
Top Bottom