BTCC 2022 thread

Associate
Since the new cars launched today, and the new season only 10 days away I thought I'd start this years thread

Calendar:
23/24 April Donington Park
Rounds 1,2,3

14/15 May Brands Hatch Indy Circuit
Rounds 4,5,6

28/29 May Thruxton
Rounds 7,8,9

11/12 June Oulton Park
Rounds 10,11,12

25/26 June Croft
Rounds 13,14,15

30/31 July Knockhill
Rounds 16,17,18

13/14 August Snetterton
Rounds 19,20,21

27/28 August Thruxton
Rounds 22,23,24

24/25 September Silverstone National Circuit
Rounds 25,26,27

8/9 October Brands Hatch GP Circuit
Rounds 28,29,30

New engine regulations

Taken from Autosport.com
TCC bosses confirmed further details on the 2022 rules this week, outlining how using a push-button system where drivers can use the power boost to defend or attack, will work.

Cosworth Electronics, which won the tender to supply the new units, has designed a 60-volt system which will weigh no more than 64kg when the full equipment is installed into the machines.

The BTCC currently uses weight to slow down the most successful cars, but that will be jettisoned in favour of an incremental restriction on the amount of hybrid power available to the leading drivers.

In its purest form, the hybrid boost will be available for a maximum of 15 seconds per lap and provide a power gain of approximately 40bhp.

There is no limit on how often the boost button can be pressed during the lap.

On Cosworth's performance simulations using the Silverstone circuit as a base, a car deploying hybrid power would gain eight metres on a rival coming out of Copse corner.

The power boost lasts until the driver presses the hybrid button for a second time, or it will deactivate by the use of the brakes, at the time or energy limit, reduced throttle pressure or a sudden deceleration or acceleration.

Regeneration will take place during the car's braking phase.

Hybrid power will not be available to drivers until after the first lap and it will only be available when a car is not wheel-spinning - ie: under full traction.

The level of boost and regeneration can be altered in wet conditions.

When the driver activates the hybrid system to attack or defend, fans will be alerted by an LED display on each car.

Each vehicle must also travel the length of the pitlane on full electric power.

Associate
Looking forward to it! The BTCC is probably my 2nd favourite Championship after F1, love watching ITV4’s coverage with all the support races being shown live too, makes a complete day of it and - IMO anyway - gives the viewer a flavour of what the experience must be like to actually spend the day at the event.
This Sunday will be a busy one, having this and the Grand Prix probably both on at the same time!
Can’t wait for the opening races, Donington is usually pretty action-packed. :)

Soldato
Yep really looking forward to this. It may not have the glitz and glamour of F1 but i far prefer the racing. It'll be interesting to see what this hybrid system brings.

Associate
WTF were the marshals doing? I think it was race 2 when Rick Parfitt stopped on the start/finish straight.

That looked crazy with the cars coming down the start finish straight and marshals on the track edge attending to the car. Cars squirreling under braking as the started slowing down. Really looked amateur and asking for trouble.

Soldato
That looked crazy with the cars coming down the start finish straight and marshals on the track edge attending to the car. Cars squirreling under braking as the started slowing down. Really looked amateur and asking for trouble.

Yep, Those marshals shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a live race track in future.

Soldato
I didn't notice that ITV buggered about the broadcast today so I missed race 2. Bah.

Edit - the broadcast with race 2 finally appeared on catch up so I managed to watch it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom