• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Budget card problems [GT430/Sapph 4850x2]

Associate
Hi guys.

Wondering if anyone can figure this out, maybe I'm just being stupid here.

So I had a pretty naff PC, running a GT430 2gb. Got given a Sapphire 4850x2 3gb while being under the impression that this SHOULD be an upgrade, albiet a minor one.

After installing it and the drivers (I didn't do a clean of the old Nvidia drivers, didn't know that I should have, but new card seems to be running fine) and booting up a game I was surprised to find out that its running at a significantly worse fps. Tested Super Street fight 4 and Battlefield 3, both games that I was running at playable fps (SF never dropped below 56fps and BF3 was... playable at around 30fps) before hand now chug along with this new card.

At first I was checking GPU-Z and finding that Street fighter was trying to run on a single GPU even though Crossfire was activated and enabled so went off to find a way of activating it, sure that this was my problem. After eventually getting that working, there still wasn't much of a difference.

Battlefield 3 is running at 10fps.

Is the Sapphire HD 4850x2 a significantly worse card than the Nvidia GT430 2gb? Or am I missing something here?

For info purposes, I've installed the latest ATI drivers and CAT profile.

Specs (Duff PC expose time)

Mobo: P5NE-SLi
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.9GHz
Ram: 4gb
O/S: Win7 32bit
Running Dual Monitor set up

Only thing I can think of is it being something to do with the Nvidia drivers still being there but that seems unlikely.

Any help would be great guys.

Associate
OP
And in another twist, ran two instances of GPU-Z in the background while playing BF3.

Neither GPUs are budging past 5%, mostly staying at 0% while CPU is being beasted at around 90-99% usage.

Am I getting bottlenecked to hell and back here?

Back
Top Bottom