Budget motherboard wanted for Ryzen 5

Associate
I think my motherboard has packed in.The pc kept shutting down for no reason.I have checked the psu with the paper clip trick and the fan spun,so im assumming thats ok.Can you recommend a motherboard up to £100.I had a gigabyte ab350 m gaming.I only use it for internet and a bit of Tomb Raider.Ideally id like an optical out if possible.

Cheers

Mick

Associate
its not confirmed that you will get ryzen 4000 working on b450 and if they do get it to run it wont have all the benefits of a fully supported chipset so to be sure, a b550 would be more secure and future proof, you can get a similar board for around £110/120 range if you look around.

Associate
some info if your thinking of having a 4000 cpu later.
Initially, AMD had not announced support for X470 and B450 motherboards, stating that only the newer X570 and B550 motherboards would accommodate the Ryzen 4th generation architecture due to the former motherboards’ inability to squeeze in the space heavy microcode updates needed to accommodate the 4th generation processors. The 400 series motherboards are only a couple years old, however, and if you’ve got one of them, you’re in luck because AMD has changed its mind. They’ve decided to discontinue support for some previous processor versions to create flash space that would allow for microcode updates to facilitate the adoption and operations of the Ryzen 4th generation processors.

Expect a BIOS update to come out that will perform these microcode updates on your device to allow for the newer Ryzen microprocessors to be supported but bear in mind that many older microprocessors will no longer be supported if you apply this update. The way this BIOS update will roll out in a regulated manner is that customers who purchase the new Zen 3 Ryzen processors for 400 series motherboards will be given this irreversible update that will allow them to use the newer microprocessors. The reason for this regulation and verification is that if support for previous processors is removed in the new update and you do not have the new Ryzen processor installed in your system, your device will not boot up. To ensure that the update is used as intended among users who actually intend to upgrade to the 4000 series of Ryzen processors, AMD will ask for some proof of purchase of the new 4th generation processors before handing you the update.

When this update comes out for the particular motherboard you own will depend upon your manufacturer. There may even be some delay until the BIOS update comes around after the new Ryzen processors actually hit the market. Support in the X570 and B550 motherboards is already announced and that’s what AMD recommends to have to accommodate the new Ryzen processors, but that is not something they’re forcing down your throat for the sake of upgrading to the new generation of Ryzen. If you’re a 400 series motherboard user with the X470 or B450, you can wait it out for the BIOS update for your motherboard as promised. This BIOS update, however, will be the last processor update for you and you won’t be able to accommodate beyond the 4th generation of processors according to AMD. This step was taken to increase the longevity of the AM4 socket 400 series of motherboards which are not old enough yet to lose official support. If you own a 500 series motherboard, then you’re all set for the release date and will have the first set of BIOS updates out to accommodate the new Ryzen 4000 processors.

Soldato
MSI as already confirmed support for its 400 series boards and with the mortar max board having a 32mb bios chip I doubt they will need to cut support for all other zen CPUs considering some X570 only have a 16mb bios chip.

Also maybe find out which CPU the OP currently has before recommending B550 as those boards don't support 1000/2000 ryzen CPUs so it could leave OP in a bit of mess if he brought one only to find out he now needs to buy a 3000 series CPU to run it.

Since he only uses it for "Internet and a bit of tomb raider" I doubt he's going to need PCIe gen 4.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Would i be better buying a new Ryzen 3300x and mother board. Then that would bring me upto the new generation ? Is the 3300x a big improvement over the 5?

Soldato
Would i be better buying a new Ryzen 3300x and mother board. Then that would bring me upto the new generation ? Is the 3300x a big improvement over the 5?
I personally would wait till zen3/4000 series before upgrading as that will be the last line of CPUs on AM4 and could be up to 20% more performance than zen 2.

What CPU do you currently have?.

Associate
OP
Im sorry to mess you all about its the cpu,i have bent some pins like a div.My motherboard is a gigabyte ab350m gaming.what Ryzen cpu's will be ok.According to Gigabyte it says it will support Ryzen 3000 so 3rd gen.Is that correct?

Soldato
Did people really just skip over any suggestion of actual fault finding and blindly suggest boards? Would have sucked for op when they realised it wasn’t the board.

Op, BIOS support for later CPU’s depends on what BIOS version you were running, without that critical bit of information, it could end up with you being unable to boot again. As to the bent pins, are you sure that’s the actual cause? If it’s worked fine till now and not been disturbed, I don’t see how they would get bent. How long before it shut down? What did you do to it prior to this starting? How badly are the pins bent and how did this happen?

Associate
OP
The pc kept shutting down within a couple of minutes.I decided to give it a clean and replace the thermal paste on the cpu.I think i bent the pins when i seated the cpu after cleaning it.Without being knowledgeable in electronics it maybe be the motherboard as well as the motherboard.I will have to replace both now.

Soldato
its not confirmed that you will get ryzen 4000 working on b450 and if they do get it to run it wont have all the benefits of a fully supported chipset so to be sure, a b550 would be more secure and future proof, you can get a similar board for around £110/120 range if you look around.

In what way would a B450m Mortar max be less secure than a B550? :)

A B450m Mortar max is as secure as a B550.

MSI as already confirmed support for its 400 series boards and with the mortar max board having a 32mb bios chip I doubt they will need to cut support for all other zen CPUs considering some X570 only have a 16mb bios chip.

Also maybe find out which CPU the OP currently has before recommending B550 as those boards don't support 1000/2000 ryzen CPUs so it could leave OP in a bit of mess if he brought one only to find out he now needs to buy a 3000 series CPU to run it.

Since he only uses it for "Internet and a bit of tomb raider" I doubt he's going to need PCIe gen 4.

Above: MSI has already confirmed support for its 400 series boards and with the mortar max board having a 32mb bios chip I doubt they will need to cut support for all other zen CPUs considering some X570 only have a 16mb bios chip.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom