Budget motherboard wanted for Ryzen 5

C64

C64

Soldato
msi b450 gaming plus max been solid so far for me hasn't skipped a beat a decent alternative if you don't like the tomahawk board layout
I needed a board with pci-e x1 down the bottom the tomahawks pci-e are badly positioned

I'd avoid b550 until it's more mature you'll just be a test bed for crashes and bugs until they iron them out

Associate
In what way would a B450m Mortar max be less secure than a B550? :)

A B450m Mortar max is as secure as a B550.

Above: MSI has already confirmed support for its 400 series boards and with the mortar max board having a 32mb bios chip I doubt they will need to cut support for all other zen CPUs considering some X570 only have a 16mb bios chip.
didnt mean secure as in safer lol I meant more future proof, think it was a bad word to use haha

Soldato
didnt mean secure as in safer lol I meant more future proof, think it was a bad word to use haha
I don't think any of the current boards are futureproof as Zen4 / DDR5 which comes in early 2022 will need a new socket AM5.

The only real benefit is PCIe gen 4 which only matters for NMVEs and doesn't make a difference in games over even SATA let alone GEN3.

The £60 extra for a B550 could go on a couple of extra cores which would benefit right now.

Associate
I don't think any of the current boards are futureproof as Zen4 / DDR5 which comes in early 2022 will need a new socket AM5.

The only real benefit is PCIe gen 4 which only matters for NMVEs and doesn't make a difference in games over even SATA let alone GEN3.

The £60 extra for a B550 could go on a couple of extra cores which would benefit right now.

Agreed, though it would have made sense with the recent ASUS promotion, sadly they didn't have that running for very long.

I've been going backwards and forwards with B450i or B550i for the past few weeks now, sadly that market is horrendously skewed, plus the lack of stock for B550 is getting on my nerves.

Back
Top Bottom