Budget phone for my 79 year old Mum

Associate
I bought an AliveCor KardiaMobile EKG Monitor for my Mum & Dad for Christmas. Unfortunately my Mum's Samsung Galaxy Note 3 no longer supports the app and I was informed by AliveCor that it will not work even with an older version of the app.

It's a real shame because this phone is still alive and kicking despite getting it for myself way back in 2013.
It works flawlessly with TeamViewer QuickSupport which has been a godsend.

So what I'm looking for is a phone where I can take 'full' control remotely (so far I've only experienced certain Samsung phones allowing this) and be able to install the Kardia app.

Apart from the above my Mum only really uses it for phone calls, texting, WhatsApp and the odd photo.

I don't think it's necessary to spend more than £200. I haven't kept up with the recent (2 years) models available but so far after a decent search it seems a phone like the Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC is very good value.
The question is, do these phones support the aforementioned apps above? One reviewer on Amazon said it's too heavy and big for them so I'm thinking that might be a concern too and even though it could be a fantastic value phone for someone like myself, maybe it's overkill for my Mum.

What would you get for an elderly person?

Also, what about this hullabaloo with Google services on certain Chinese phones. Is that still an issue?Maybe a budget Samsung one might be the best option to be safe (not as good value) but are there good ones for that price? I'm not sure if I should future proof the phone with 5G since they live in the sticks anyway and 4G is a struggle at times. Fast charging would be beneficial.

One with loud speakers would be good too but how do you go about making sure they are loud? Is there something in the specs that tell you how loud they will be or do you have to rely on a review?

I did remember passively seeing a review on a budget Samsung phone that gave it excellent reviews but didn't note the model.

Thanks very much and hope can help.

Associate
OP
Actually, regarding TeamViewer QuickSupport, I've found this webpage that seems to confirm only Samsung phones that support KNOX can be used for complete control.

Has anyone found that not to be the case?

Back
Top Bottom