• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

budget upgrade from SLI 7800 GTX, what should I get?

Associate
I currently have a pair of 7800 GTX's in SLI and I’m looking to upgrade to either a single card or another SLI setup, the max I have to spend is about £100. What are my options? I wouldn't mind being able to play Test Drive 2 on better settings than low/medium if possible for that price?

I also have a 3.4 Intel Extreme Edition 955 over clocked to 4.3 is this still a decent processor?

Thanks

Caporegime
I'm not sure if this would be create a bottleneck in your rig but I immediately thought it would be good if you stretch the budget just a little more and go for a 460gtx 768 / 1024 mb. Failing that an ATI 5770 would I think be the best option within your price range.

What res do you play at?

Associate
OP
Hmmm I thought the processor was getting a bit dated didn't realise it was that bad though. What would be a decent video card to run with that processor then? Even just a little boost in performance would be good.
Would a 280GTX be reasonable or is my processor not up to that? I was looking at some cheap 8800 GTX’s and 9800 GTX’s and was considering another SLI setup up. Would these cards be a reasonable leap in performance compared to my 7800 SLI?

Thanks

Soldato
i think its a combo of gpu and cpu bottleneck they both quite out of date, there few options . depends what resolution you pay on ?

upgrade to second hand cpu , motherboard , and ram, you can get some cheap 775 socket stuff.

or upgrade the gpu.

or upgrade both but larger budget is required.

i would go with option 1. becouse tdu and other games are more cpu bound then gpu.

Associate
OP
I usually have the resolution at 1280x960 but I do drop it down a bit if it makes the game run a bit better. The motherboard I have is quite decent I think so perhaps I could keep that and upgrade the CPU and graphics card. I have an intel Duo from another PC I could use if it was better spec? I think the chip I have is the one in the link although I will need to double check tonight.

The motherboard I have supports quad SLI so would an upgrade to a pair of GeForce 7950 GX2 or GeForce 9800 GX2 be a good upgrade or do only certian games use the quad SLI?

Thanks for all the help

I wouldn't bother getting more old cards. They'll be over-priced because since they're EOL there will be more demand than supply.

Something like a 5770 is the way to go. The budget cards below this won't give you a huge amount of performance boost over your 7800gtx's, so wouldn't be a sensible upgrade.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-124-HT&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=708

Some games you'll be cpu limited, but it shouldn't be a problem if you can put the duo in there.

Associate
OP
Sorry to dig up an old thread but the Pc got put on the back burner and I didn't get any upgrades for it. How ever now I have a bit of time I'm looking again for some upgrades.

I did check the CPU though and the other one I have is an E8300 not an E8400 like I thought. Is this still a decent upgrade from the extreme chip mentioned in the first post?

How come the duo is a better chip even though it's only a 2.8 dual core and the extreme chip is a 3.2 dual core with hyper threading?

Back
Top Bottom